OOPS! I meant DPM'S, Sorry.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryex

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the mistype I meant DPM'S.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what a DPM is, and I think you could have just edited the last post instead making a new one. no biggie.

Doctor of Podiatric Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh, I have been thinking about that myself too since my med advisor said I was border line because of my gpa.

I'am just curious, I was accepted to two Podiatry schools and I am still waiting for a response from three D.O. schools. Not that it matters what others think of a profession. As with anything you do, it's not what you do but how well you do it.

I know. Im just not sure how interested I am in the that part of medicine.

I've never been to a DPM, but I have a friend with a painful problem with a bone in her foot and she swears by her podiatrist, so I'm sure they're very good at what they do.

Unfortunately, podiatry has a bleak future. Schools are closing. Applications are way down. Jobs are extremely hard to come by. Lifestyle and compensation isn't great compared to many physicians, PAs, CRNAs, etc. The managed care system really destroyed podiatry. It's very, very difficult for podiatrists to join HMOs and get all those HMO patients.

So there are really two ways of looking at this.

1. Stay away from podiatry school because, if current trends continue, you'll be really sorry.
2. Go to podiatry school. I believe that the managed care system is going to change in the not-so-distant future because the Baby Boomers are going to demand a much better insurance system as the get older. If this happens and podiatry is salvaged, there will be a huge shortage of podiatrists due to the low number of new ones being produced. In this case, you'll really cash in. But, IMHO, it's a huge risk to take.

If you're not sure it's a good idea not to apply. Have you looked into the field? Some of the messages I've seen tend to discourage one from going down that path. Quite a few DPM's are not happy with the profession. I would like hear from health professionals that have worked with DPM's to get their general view on the profession and the quality of care that the current DPM's provide their pt's.

Hedwig, you have some good points. I'm not aware of any podiatry schools that are closing. From most of the postings I've seen many of the current DPM's are having trouble with HMO's, as well as the rest of the medical professions. I hope your second view is correct and podiatry care is a much needed profession. However, many choices in life can be risky, I just hope that being in debt for student loans and no job prospects is not one of them.

I know a podiatrist in my home town who is doing real well, but Ive also read on these forums about new podiatrists not being all that happy.

Its a tough call ...

oh yeah, Ive been thinking about going dental as well.

i was considering podiatry. a family friend of mine is a podiatric surgeon, loves his job, has an unbelievable house and cars, and a great family life. i spoke to him about going into the field and he told me that although he loves it and it has been very good to him he wouldn't recommend it to me now because of all the changes that have occurred in health care especially with this field. if you decide to go into this field great, i believe it is necessary, but please do yourself a favor and research it before jumping in.