OOS Dental Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiny Teeth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been thinking about this question for a while. If I go interview OOS they are sure to ask, "you are from state X, so why this dental school?" I do have a couple of answers in mind but I do not believe they are strong enough to convince the interviewer. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I've been thinking about this question for a while. If I go interview OOS they are sure to ask, "you are from state X, so why this dental school?" I do have a couple of answers in mind but I do not believe they are strong enough to convince the interviewer. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
I interviewed OOS and was accepted. They never asked me this, but why don't you feel your answers are strong enough? I'm sure they're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be honest! I got that question at a few of my interviews, and I told them exactly why I applied to their school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also asked this. I’d focus on what qualities make the school unique. Do they have a unique approach to teaching (PBL, group, straight lecture, etc)? New facilities? Surrounding area and climate?

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked this at one of my interviews and I mainly structured my answer around being prepared for a huge change/transition. I mentioned specific things about the school/surrounding area that I liked and felt would make the big move easier. Something I specifically said was that NYC reminds me a lot of my home in the Bay Area - lots of diversity, multitude of opportunities outside of the school, and constant hustling & bustling. But because I also mention in my PS that i'm super close to my family, I made sure to convince my interviewer that I was prepared, ready, and committed to become a dentist even though it meant moving 3,000 miles away bc my family will support me no matter where I go. Sounds cheese I know haha, but hey it worked!

Reactions: 3 users
I was asked this at every interview. You don't need some big, flowery answer; just truly think about it and research the school thoroughly. Be honest and genuine. It really can be a simple reason.

Most of the time, I focused on outreach opportunities I liked. That may be a small part of the individual school, but it was enough to get me accepted to 3 OOS institutions.

Reactions: 1 users
Just tell them the same thing as Why do you want to come to X school?

Make it sound like X school > State school

Reactions: 1 users