OOS Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halebug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I have been stressing about this since...well since I got my acceptance email. I am pretty much just wondering if anyone knows how much financial aid will cover. I obviously know everyone's eligibility is different and that every school is different, but I am just wondering like an average amount. Is it pretty much guaranteed that I will need to get another loan on the side or is it possible financial aid will cover all my tuition for an OOS school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are right that it will be different from school to school. I don't know if the admissions at your accepted school can give you an idea.

Personally, I am OOS and all of my tuition was covered by financial aid. Its the "loan from the gov't" type, not the free type but alteast I didn't have to take out personal loans. Our total tuition was roughly $42,000 and I was offered $55,000. I know another OOS at my school who also had similar numbers.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't get desperate yet. If its the difference between you going and not going, talk to someone at your school ASAP.

You are right that it will be different from school to school. I don't know if the admissions at your accepted school can give you an idea.

Personally, I am OOS and all of my tuition was covered by financial aid. Its the "loan from the gov't" type, not the free type but alteast I didn't have to take out personal loans. Our total tuition was roughly $42,000 and I was offered $55,000. I know another OOS at my school who also had similar numbers.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't get desperate yet. If its the difference between you going and not going, talk to someone at your school ASAP.

Thank you! It is not determining whether I go or not. I just kind of what an idea of what I will need to be covering after financial aid. I just don't have any experience with personal loans and wouldn't really even know where to start. My financial aid in undergrad did not even cover my tuition and therefor I had to pay out of pocket what it was not covering and obviously I won't be able to do that with tuition being thousands of dollars! I did think to contact the school but was skeptic because the financial aid office here at my undergrad has no idea what they are talking about....I went there a couple years ago with some questions and they were wrong about everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend talking to your financial aid office.

There are several different types of loans that you may be awarded to cover vet school. You can find them with a quick google search. Schools generally cover up to your cost of attendance, so you don't need to worry about that. I don't think there are grants for vet school though.

Did you file your FAFSA yet?

I did file and I guess I don't want people to think I am too lazy to research it because I tried to and could not really find anything. I just wanted current students to just say if their financial aid was covering their OOS tuition or if other people know where to find that information. I will contact my financial aid office and hope they know more about their stuff than my undergrad office did!

I filed my FAFSA but got an email the next day about how I was denied because it was application for a graduate school (vet school, hello?) and they didn't cover it, or something like that? Anybody know what I did wrong, or..?

EFC (expected family contribution) doesn't impact your COA for vet school (excluding a few specific loan types.) consequently, it is possible to get most (and in most cases) all covered via fafsa loans.

EFC (expected family contribution) doesn't impact your COA for vet school (excluding a few specific loan types.) consequently, it is possible to get most (and in most cases) all covered via fafsa loans.

I think it does affect the amount of subsidized Stafford loans you can get.

OP: RVC has a great Excel doc on their website that will let you calculate your awarded loans. It should be identical to the US schools. I don't have the link handy or I would link you to it. It will tell you the amount of each loan you will get, so you can figure out the amount of interest you will have to pay (and how soon!).

I think it does affect the amount of subsidized Stafford loans you can get.

OP: RVC has a great Excel doc on their website that will let you calculate your awarded loans. It should be identical to the US schools. I don't have the link handy or I would link you to it. It will tell you the amount of each loan you will get, so you can figure out the amount of interest you will have to pay (and how soon!).

But, being professional school, shouldn't everybody's EFC be zero? Being professional/graduate students, we are considered independents and it is assumed that our families will contribute nothing to the costs of our continued education. That's why you don't have to fill out your parents' info unless you want the Health Professions Student Loans, because as an independent student, that doesn't matter, and your EFC is $0.

I filed my FAFSA but got an email the next day about how I was denied because it was application for a graduate school (vet school, hello?) and they didn't cover it, or something like that? Anybody know what I did wrong, or..?

Was it called graduate school, or professional school? That's the only thing I can think of. If professional school is an option, that's what you should choose.

But, being professional school, shouldn't everybody's EFC be zero? Being professional/graduate students, we are considered independents and it is assumed that our families will contribute nothing to the costs of our continued education. That's why you don't have to fill out your parents' info unless you want the Health Professions Student Loans, because as an independent student, that doesn't matter, and your EFC is $0.

As an independent student, your EFC is your own expected contribution, so if you have any assets, or a part-time job, or whatever, then you will have some manner of EFC.

As an independent student, your EFC is your own expected contribution, so if you have any assets, or a part-time job, or whatever, then you will have some manner of EFC.

At least here EFC doesn't affect award. IE I have a huge EFC (ie I can liquidate our home, our stocks, our retirement and safety funds, etc...and all that results in an EFC that is higher than COA) and I still get the same total financial aid as a student with 0 income, no investments, no liquidatable assets, etc. Now, I don't know how that works when you get into the schools where the financial aid requires more than federal direct loans. I do not get subsidized loans, but I get the same amount as the other students, just all of mine is unsub'd.

:laugh: That makes perfect sense then, that mine was zero, because I'm a bum.

Everybody without savings, assets, or a job will have an EFC of zero ;).

That's certainly not true for most non-trads!

I am going nuts trying to figure out my expenses for the upcoming school year. My classes start next month and I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know if MSU usually offers enough aid for student expenses or if I may need to procure a private loan(s). From what I've read it seems as though most schools cover an OOS student's expenses above and beyond their tuition.

I am going nuts trying to figure out my expenses for the upcoming school year. My classes start next month and I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know if MSU usually offers enough aid for student expenses or if I may need to procure a private loan(s). From what I've read it seems as though most schools cover an OOS student's expenses above and beyond their tuition.

I'm in the same boat as you... still waiting for information. Hopefully it comes out soon, seems like they sent out packets this week, at least that's what some people have posted.

I know that at the interview orientation, the person who spoke about tuition said that we *should* get aid up to COA, which is ~$63,000. Tuition I believe is 42 or 43,000 (I was told it was not going up so whatever it was for c/o 2014 that's what we will be paying). Which means about 20,000 for living expenses. Not including ~7,000 for summer which Missy said we would qualify for since we start classes June 30th.