OP seeing peds/developmental delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDPT31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an outpatient therapist who mainly sees shoulder, knee, back, etc. Lately I have gotten a few referrals for a 1 year old with developmental delay, a 2 year old with gross motor delay, and a 20 month old with flat feet. Iv'e been trying to tell my boss that these are things I am not qualified to do, yes I took classes in grad school(3 years ago) and passed my boards, but I don't remember any of that stuff. I see it as being immoral to see them without proper education(up to date) on it. The problem is they are all medicaid and we are one of the few hospitals in the area that will take them. THoughts? I'm right, right?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm an outpatient therapist who mainly sees shoulder, knee, back, etc. Lately I have gotten a few referrals for a 1 year old with developmental delay, a 2 year old with gross motor delay, and a 20 month old with flat feet. Iv'e been trying to tell my boss that these are things I am not qualified to do, yes I took classes in grad school(3 years ago) and passed my boards, but I don't remember any of that stuff. I see it as being immoral to see them without proper education(up to date) on it. The problem is they are all medicaid and we are one of the few hospitals in the area that will take them. THoughts? I'm right, right?

Is anyone on staff comfortable treating pediatric patients with these conditions? If so, slide them over to another provider's schedule.

If not, explore other options nearby, if they exist. If not, I think you're stuck. Pull out your old texts/references, hit pubmed, and prepare as best you can.

I agree with everything from the pp. Continue to be open and honest with your supervisor, but also be ready to step up and do the research to treat. Ideally there would be a pediatric facility within your hospital's system but it seems that isn't the case. Ask around within your clinic; I've seen a few OP clinics where one therapist had a little peds experience and took on all the kids. Do a little research on other area facilities and talk to your supervisor about referring out if this is an option. If none of that gets you anywhere, consider it an opportunity in initiative and learning.

All that said, I'm really biased toward young children being treated in pediatric facilities. I know this just isn't always available in some areas.

As an adjunct to the outpatient therapy, are you familiar with Early Intervention services? The kids you mentioned would be the right age and may qualify for these services. It doesn't necessarily replace OP services but it does provide in-home therapy for qualifying children. It works a little different among states, but it's another great resource. The county they live in should have the information on how to start the process.

Last, feel free to throw out some questions here. I don't know if there are other peds therapists lurking, but I'd be happy to help if I can.