Open PGY-1 Slots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PunkRockDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted here not too long ago about having picked the wrong specialty to go into, and I'm looking to switch into Pathology. My original goal for medical school was to become a forensic pathologist, but I got sidetracked. Anyway, how does one go about finding open PGY-1 slots? I don't really expect there to be any, but the thought of it helps me get through the rough days.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

PunkRockDoc said:
Hi everyone,

I posted here not too long ago about having picked the wrong specialty to go into, and I'm looking to switch into Pathology. My original goal for medical school was to become a forensic pathologist, but I got sidetracked. Anyway, how does one go about finding open PGY-1 slots? I don't really expect there to be any, but the thought of it helps me get through the rough days.

Thanks in advance!

If you are mobile and if you are in need of a position now, contact the University of Oklahoma - they have unfilled slots.

Thanks for the reply dermoid! Unfortunately, I'm not too mobile at this point, since I'm married and such. I'm limited to the Philadelphia area. I'm willing to commute out to NJ though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you are limited to a small area, there are only a handful of programs in consideration. So your problem will be solved by simply calling all of them.

Hi All,
I am looking for a PGY-1 position , anywhere in the country .
Any of you guys have any ideas where a position might be open.
all relies will be deeply appreciated :)

kargil said:
Hi All,
I am looking for a PGY-1 position , anywhere in the country .
Any of you guys have any ideas where a position might be open.
all relies will be deeply appreciated :)

Have this sense that
University of Oklahoma
might have an opening...

You're welcome.

Thanks djmd , have already emailed them let's see.......

kargil said:
Thanks djmd , have already emailed them let's see.......

Did you email the program director? You need to email him directly if you want to get a response.

dermoid cyst said:
Did you email the program director? You need to email him directly if you want to get a response.

I would say this is more of a phone call sort of thing.. god only knows where most of the emails go

Out of curiosity, what's the feel for the Oklahoma path program? Mid or low tier since they didn't fill? Also it seems like their whole department is FMG's. I'm not looking to bash the school I go to, but I'm just interested in what everyone else thinks.

I just talked to a recent OU grad yesterday who did a couple MS4 path electives there. He told me he ranked it 4 of 5 on his list and would not recommend that I interview there. He specifically mentioned that the FMG faculty didn't seem to be interested in teaching. On the other hand, he said they have some pretty nice facilities. :)

Click Here! said:
I just talked to a recent OU grad yesterday who did a couple MS4 path electives there. He told me he ranked it 4 of 5 on his list and would not recommend that I interview there. He specifically mentioned that the FMG faculty didn't seem to be interested in teaching. On the other hand, he said they have some pretty nice facilities. :)

I just talked to the OSU path program director says no open positions
:( dunno guys......guess have to apply for the 2007 match ......
anyone knows of any other program with open positions pleeseeee

Napoleon1801 said:
Out of curiosity, what's the feel for the Oklahoma path program? Mid or low tier since they didn't fill? Also it seems like their whole department is FMG's. I'm not looking to bash the school I go to, but I'm just interested in what everyone else thinks.

This is the type of shiat that I hate too, all FMGs in the heartland...what type of jobs do think they will get smack dab in the middle of the Confederacy? Why are they training these poor SOBs knowing they will get absolutely horrendous jobs after all the suffering, why not just close the program....