Open PGY II positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

figureitout

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an intern who matched in Orthopedic surgery, but am seriously considering a switch to general surgery to pursue a career in pediatric surgery. Has anyone heard of late openings for pgy-2 slots in gen surg for next year? I would definitely prefer to stay around Chicago/Midwest, but am open to where ever. Did very well on step 1/AOA, so I know I would be competitive, just am figuring out what I want to do a little late. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

figureitout said:
I'm currently an intern who matched in Orthopedic surgery, but am seriously considering a switch to general surgery to pursue a career in pediatric surgery. Has anyone heard of late openings for pgy-2 slots in gen surg for next year? I would definitely prefer to stay around Chicago/Midwest, but am open to where ever. Did very well on step 1/AOA, so I know I would be competitive, just am figuring out what I want to do a little late. Any help is appreciated.

Just to ask you where you are coming from...I am a foreign grad that is contemplating transferring to Ortho...I know that this sounds wierd, but if you could keep me posted, I would appreciate it...I am really contemplating the switch. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
figureitout said:
Keep your horizon open for a PGY-2 after june 2005. THat is usually when the there is a tempest in the pot. I am trying to match in to a categorial PGY-1 but a R-2 spot is really my hidden agenda. I take whatever they throw myway.

Ortho is a great field....For the most part great folks, but also lots of outpatient procedures....Pedisurg is a very limiting career. Very few outpatient procedures, which means in today medicoeconomic scene you are screwed. You will only be able to find positions where there is enough need for a pedisurg....i don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but something like 75k persons per pedisurg.......If you stay at an academic center you will be at the beck and call of the PICU/NICU for line changes and many little cases which pay about zero dollars, and always seem to get put on the add-on schedule and who knows when they will happen. Unless you are doing pedi hearts, most pedisurgeons are severely underpaid...stick in ortho, do a pedi fellowship if you like....the job market is much better, and you will avolid lots of headaches..

Hey! Tell me where you are coming from. Perhaps you and I could do a direct switch as I have a categorical spot in GS and am trying to switch into Ortho. Drop me an email sometime.