open positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwill73

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, like many others that post, would like a RI PGYII position. I am presently a surgical resident who had to make a decision between surgery or rads and chose surg. Since the match and as an intern I have come to realize that my true interests are in rads.

The questions that I have in this "process of enlightenment," are:

Are there positions open anywhere in the Midwest (OH, IN, MI, IL)?

What are the chances of transferring into a rad program from a surg?

Is it worth it to pursue/transfer into a program on probation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think perhaps Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI may have an opening (don't think it's R2 though) although that program is on probation. There isn't any openings at my program, unless you're willing to work for free. Currently all the transitionals at my program are just so happy about their radiology slot I don't think anyone is willing to give one up right now, but you never know. Contact all the PD's in the states you mentioned and you may get lucky. It will be extremely difficult for you and you will have to get very lucky to get an R2 spot. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I saw that your program went from 28 to 40, without addn'l funding, is there any word if there will be addn'l funding in the future?

Yep, we're approved for 40 spots (10 a year) but only have funding for 28 spots (7 a year). From what I heard last (this was a few months ago), the department is seeking funding from other sources, but has been denied additional funding from the hospital. In fact, they cut out all the transitional year positions here at Beaumont that aren't tracking into PGY-2 (all the transitionals here are already matched for either radiology, ophthalmology or rad onc). At one time they had a lot more transitional residents than they do now.

I heard that the Air Force was offering some funding for people to do a civilian residency (but then you'd have to put in some time in the Air Force). Additionally, the posibility of someone working for no pay has come up, but I haven't heard any more about this. Not sure how anyone could afford being a resident for 4 years without any pay or benefits, but I guess if you're wealthy this may be an option.

Good luck.