Open residency position at MCW!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillfeelgone

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is an open residency position for a PGY-II at the Medical College of Wisconsin. It will be available 10/1/05.

This is an up and coming program that has made many positive changes recently. I am leaving for personal reasons. The residents are a great, hard-working bunch overall. The attendings/staff are easy to work with.

Call 414-805-7346 for more details. The residency director is Fred Klingbeil, MD.

You can PM me with questions or post here.

Members don't see this ad.

stillfeelgone said:
There is an open residency position for a PGY-II at the Medical College of Wisconsin. It will be available 10/1/05.

This is an up and coming program that has made many positive changes recently. I am leaving for personal reasons. The residents are a great, hard-working bunch overall. The attendings/staff are easy to work with.

Call 414-805-7346 for more details. The residency director is Fred Klingbeil, MD.

Dr. Dillingham is over there.. what a great opportunity!!

stillfeelgone said:

Hi, I was interested in the open residency position, but Had some question about your program. How many hospitals do you rotate through, are they all intown? I heard there are a couple of rotations where you are posted in another town for a couple of months. What is the call schedule? how late are your work days? How is the teaching? What is the IP to OP ratio?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) There are 2 hospitals. Froedtert, which is the main hospital at the medical campus, and the VA hospital. They are only 10 minutes apart by car.

2) You do all of your rotations at these 2 hospitals. There are no rotations "in another town". You can do an away rotation for 1 month if you want.

3) The call schedule is similar to other programs in that it gets less as you become more senior. For a PGY-2, you will probably have about 10 weekend calls (Friday night through Monday morning) and 5-6 weekday call blocks (covering Monday-Thursday nights from 5 PM-8AM) for the year. I think the seniors here last year only had 2-3 weekends and 2-3 weekday calls for the year.

4) Schedules are variable depending on the rotation and number of patients. The busiest inpatient rotations will be from about 7AM to 5-6PM. Most rotations are generally 7-8AM to 4-5PM. Most rotations are 2 months in length.

5) Teaching is variable. The inpatient rotations are fairly busy and most teaching is done during rounds as the attendings usually have clinics they need to get to after rounds. They have just started a weekly case conference for the inpatient residents. Didactics are much improved this year. They are on Wednesdays. There is an EMG lecture from 1-2PM and then a topic is covered from 2-4PM. They will cover SCI, TBI, musculoskeletal, etc. in blocks.

There is an anatomy course in the fall (Aug-Dec) which is phenomenal. Dr. Wertch teaches this course and it contains very good practical knowledge and clinical tips.

6) I'm not sure on the IP/OP ratio as it changes yearly. It seems to be about 12 months of inpatient, 2 months of consults, 2 months at Children's hospital (which doesn't count as IP), and then the remaining is outpatient, including rotations in EMG, MS, spasticity, amputee.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the quick reply, I did have a few more questions. I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision. Are the residents in your program happy? What aspects of the program do you not like or that you see as problems/issues? Are you leaving b/c you are unhappy with the program? Also, are your calls inhouse, or home calls?

Sabo - I sent you a PM.

1) I would not feel comfortable answering for the other residents. I feel that question should be asked of them directly if you interview here.

Call is from home. There are no inhouse calls.

Hey there,

I sent you a PM, just wanted to make sure you did receive it. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sabo

Hello,

I sent you a PM, just wanted to make sure that you did receive it. Looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Sabo