Open vs. Closed file interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scowdeva

MS I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont really understand the difference between them...what does this mean? What are the pros and cons to each style? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

An open file interview is one where the interviewer has all of your information. A closed file is one where the interviewer only has your personal statement or absolutely nothing. There's also something called a semi-closed or semi-open file, where the interviewer has everything except for your grades.

From my perspective, I don't really see a pro or con with any one style.

IMHO closed file is good if you don't have a lot of things to talk about, if you've volunteered/done research only a little then this is nice because you can take up time w/introducing each activity and describing it

open file is good when you have lots of stuff on your resume. the interviewer can pick what interests him or her and discuss that. if you have alotta stuff you'd like the interviewer to know but the interview is closed, then you don't get to everything. with open, you at least know that they're aware of everything on your app even if you didn't get to discuss it w/them

overall, i prefer open, i'm just not sure if i like them having the stats....

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer open as well.

When I did closed (two times, different places) it seemed like all they wanted to do was pick my personal statement to pieces on little tiny things. Like they'd go two sentences and challenge what I wrote. The thing was, I'd get complimeneted on my personal statement in most other interviews.

I've only had one interview so far, & it was completely closed - all they knew was my name. I liked it, cause it made for a very conversational interview to get to know you. And it was interesting to see their reactions to my background/experiences first-hand.