Open your own Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Portier

DO me....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thiking the other day...in the place where I do my best thinking....on call waiting for an admit....and I was like, "What if I could make up my OWN Residency???!?" What would I be looking for in candidates?

Why don't you post your ideal resident characteristics below?

Here are mine:

1) Smart...not Einstein smart, but at least did average or above average on the standardized tests. I don't mind photographic memories on people, but I'd rather they were good at using references and learning as they go.

2) Not annoying: I'd want them to rotate with me and my team to see if they made anyone's skin crawl. If they didn't rotate, the better have one hell of an interview and give me a presentation on a medical topic.

3) Sense of Humor: I like people who know when to laugh and when not to. Like it's not cool in the patient's room, but in the physician's lounge...OK!

4) Patients like him/her: Since medicine is a business, the one who I note the patient's mention the most for positive stuff...that's the one I'd want.

These are of course all based on my biases. I'd be interested to see what other people post on this (if they post at all).

Members don't see this ad.

Portier said:
2) Not annoying: I'd want them to rotate with me and my team to see if they made anyone's skin crawl. If they didn't rotate, the better have one hell of an interview and give me a presentation on a medical topic.

hmm , how exactly could any resident make someone's skin crawl?... :confused:

medhacker said:
hmm , how exactly could any resident make someone's skin crawl?... :confused:

Being creepy. Ask a girl what an annoying guy does that makes their skin crawl.

Personally, I don't like people who "backstab" others in order to look good by comparison.

Members don't see this ad :)
Portier said:
Being creepy. Ask a girl what an annoying guy does that makes their skin crawl.

Personally, I don't like people who "backstab" others in order to look good by comparison.

Ahhh! you mean like when a guy looks at a girl with a creepy desire... LOL

yeah backstabers are :thumbdown:

Portier said:
I was thiking the other day...in the place where I do my best thinking....on call waiting for an admit....and I was like, "What if I could make up my OWN Residency???!?" What would I be looking for in candidates?

Why don't you post your ideal resident characteristics below?

Here are mine:

1) Smart...not Einstein smart, but at least did average or above average on the standardized tests. I don't mind photographic memories on people, but I'd rather they were good at using references and learning as they go.

3) Sense of Humor: I like people who know when to laugh and when not to. Like it's not cool in the patient's room, but in the physician's lounge...OK!

4) Patients like him/her: Since medicine is a business, the one who I note the patient's mention the most for positive stuff...that's the one I'd want.

These are of course all based on my biases. I'd be interested to see what other people post on this (if they post at all).

How about these:
1. Work hard.
2. Don't complain.
3. Show a desire to learn.
4. Ask for help instead of guessing or admit that you don't know.
5. Be on time.
6. Great pt interaction. One cardiologist told me that you could literally kill a patient, but if you were truthful in your informed consent and truthful to the family after a bad outcome, you likely won't generate a lawsuit. This goes with #4 where a big physician ego has likely led to the demise of more than one patient because a physician tried to do everything independently.
7. Don't believe everything you hear. Evidenced based medicine is a good thing.