OpenAI vs Heidi vs Dragon to speed up notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aresnebula

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I use practice fusion and the OpenAI isn't compatible with uploading the patient list on it. Regardless it has been great for new patients or any concerning follow-up. I would ideally want to completely switch to AI for all my documentation including chip and clip. I am wondering if Heidi is as good? I am also wondering if I should just invest in Dragon for myself and dictate that way like I did in residency.
 
Heidi's free. You'll in general never have a question about what the encounter was about. There's still virtue in taking small notes for the relevant things you need to capture. Heidi allows you to directly dictate into their software which negates the need for paying for Dragon. And it has a ambient listening vs straight dictating mode for doing things like writing operative notes.

What you really need is a killer templated note game that captures what you actually talk about with patients. I like Heidi, but it still reduces complicated discussions down to a sentence - discussed medication complications with the patient when a lot of times your level of detail was greater and can be better captured in a well written templates that hits the high points for possible level 4 billing.

My big thing on templates is - there's virtue in a template that can do anything, but there's even more virtue in a template that is designed to slam out the most common version of the problem you face or the way you almost always treat a problem.

You could create for example a template that says ...

Patient has {bilateral|left|right} (<--Athena) discomfort at the medial tubercle of the calcaneus. Ok - so everytime you click this note you have to pick which one. Create 3 templates and put bilateral, left, and right into the macro name so you just click the one and its done.

You could create a template that gives you every steroid agent you've ever injected, but its probably better to just have a defaulted template that puts down your current favorite one. ECW has a somewhat nice feature for this where you can "merge default" and pre-set certain options to always be the favorite.
 
Last big thing about templates - when you make them. When you QC them. You don't have to re-read them if they tell what you actually do.

What I have come to hate about AI - is reading my own notes. You have to review them to actually make sure the material is there. Its content generation with the presumption that its good when it may not be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heidi's free. You'll in general never have a question about what the encounter was about. There's still virtue in taking small notes for the relevant things you need to capture. Heidi allows you to directly dictate into their software which negates the need for paying for Dragon. And it has a ambient listening vs straight dictating mode for doing things like writing operative notes.

What you really need is a killer templated note game that captures what you actually talk about with patients. I like Heidi, but it still reduces complicated discussions down to a sentence - discussed medication complications with the patient when a lot of times your level of detail was greater and can be better captured in a well written templates that hits the high points for possible level 4 billing.

My big thing on templates is - there's virtue in a template that can do anything, but there's even more virtue in a template that is designed to slam out the most common version of the problem you face or the way you almost always treat a problem.

You could create for example a template that says ...

Patient has {bilateral|left|right} (<--Athena) discomfort at the medial tubercle of the calcaneus. Ok - so everytime you click this note you have to pick which one. Create 3 templates and put bilateral, left, and right into the macro name so you just click the one and its done.

You could create a template that gives you every steroid agent you've ever injected, but its probably better to just have a defaulted template that puts down your current favorite one. ECW has a somewhat nice feature for this where you can "merge default" and pre-set certain options to always be the favorite.
All of this. I maintain that not using AI lets you Bill at a higher level because you are capturing the complexity and able to use words specifically words in ama e&m documentation that make it worth the time. Unless you're cutting nails
 
I have used Heidi for the past few months, and at first I was very excited, but when I actually look at the HPI, it is so badly written that I completely do it myself at this point. Stuff that I tell the patient, it puts in the subjective.
And I agree with you, the plans are too short. I'm gonna try one of these other AIs, and I actually don't mind paying for it at this point because documentation is the bane of my existence.

Have you guys tried Claud or Chat GPT for notes? I don't mean ambient listening or scribing. I mean you go see the patient and then come back to your office and sit down at the computer and tell it to "make an entire SOAP note for a female patient with left heel pain for the past 6 months. No other findings for the physical exam other than the left heel pain. For the plan, stretch, ice, NSAIDs. Considers steroid injection at next visit".

And then it kinda formulates this entire full SOAP note with a paragraph subjective and a full physical exam with derm, vascular, neuro, MSK, and the plan in bullet point format or sentences or however you wanna structure it.

It looks like for both of them, if you get the paid version, you can create templates for it. So you just say use my left heel pain template for a 60-year-old lady who's had the pain for the past 8 months, and it'll do the whole thing. Then you got a copy and paste it into your EMR. Not really a HIPAA issue either since you're not putting any patient info in. You're just making a generic note on claude or ChatGPT.
 
I have used Heidi for the past few months, and at first I was very excited, but when I actually look at the HPI, it is so badly written that I completely do it myself at this point. Stuff that I tell the patient, it puts in the subjective.
And I agree with you, the plans are too short. I'm gonna try one of these other AIs, and I actually don't mind paying for it at this point because documentation is the bane of my existence.

Have you guys tried Claud or Chat GPT for notes? I don't mean ambient listening or scribing. I mean you go see the patient and then come back to your office and sit down at the computer and tell it to "make an entire SOAP note for a female patient with left heel pain for the past 6 months. No other findings for the physical exam other than the left heel pain. For the plan, stretch, ice, NSAIDs. Considers steroid injection at next visit".

And then it kinda formulates this entire full SOAP note with a paragraph subjective and a full physical exam with derm, vascular, neuro, MSK, and the plan in bullet point format or sentences or however you wanna structure it.

It looks like for both of them, if you get the paid version, you can create templates for it. So you just say use my left heel pain template for a 60-year-old lady who's had the pain for the past 8 months, and it'll do the whole thing. Then you got a copy and paste it into your EMR. Not really a HIPAA issue either since you're not putting any patient info in. You're just making a generic note on claude or ChatGPT.
I'm torn between the fact that yeah - there are flaws in the notes and PE dragged into the history and what not balanced by the fact that I am spending way less time writing notes than I used to.

For functionality though I will point out that I used to use some sort of Dragon software that was just crap. The Heidi dictation is substantially superior to the dragon system I was using in the past.
 
I've been using Claude for the past probably 6 weeks to do my entire SOAP note. And prior to that, I was using Heidi for about 4 months. And I'll be honest, I think Claude is quicker. I'm in the patient room. I talk to them. I might jot down, like, on my piece of paper, you know, left sub first metatarsal head callus or left foot bunion or whatever. And then I just word vomit, all of it onto Claude, and it makes a fully professional sounding SOAP note from subjective to physical exam to plan with all the usual accoutrements, like risk of surgery and nonunion and surgical indications and wider shoes. And I didn't even tell it to do that. It just does it lol.


Also, I have a feeling The paid versions of all of these medical AI dictation systems are probably a lot better than the free Heidi, where we don't have to edit as much stuff. I have friends and colleagues that say they just copy paste everything without even looking at it and have not had any issues. But their practices/hospitals are paying for the Ambient AI dictation, so I'm sure it's way more in-depth and better formatted than the free Heidi we tried
 
We use Abridge via our phones and so far it’s accurate. It is good at filtering out pertinent info for each section. I just dictate the physical exam myself and sign.

They are working on it to also help pend orders as it picks up via dictation.
 
We use Abridge via our phones and so far it’s accurate. It is good at filtering out pertinent info for each section. I just dictate the physical exam myself and sign.

They are working on it to also help pend orders as it picks up via dictation.

Abridge is more for hospitals AFAIK. It might be cost prohibitive for us PP guys.

I have seen ads from scope, commure, Twofold, Freed...which all seems geared more towards individual provider subscriptions/PP

Would love to hear peoples experiences, because I would like to pay for the best individual provider once there is. That is how much I despise notes lol. Notes are eating up 3-4 hours of my day/night post-clinic hours
 
Hospital I am at has DAX which is Epic version. I can basically get all my notes done in between patients or at lunch now. Game changer for sure.
 
I use Scope.
PP setting.
Really happy with it especially for new patients.

Its an AI model but charts specifically in each section of the note.
So you can upload your own template and give it specific commands. HPI too dense, make it more concise- keep pertinent symptoms nature location duration onset. When triggering physical exam- upload a template- give commands to use that physical as a default physical exam template and add pertinent details.

Its pretty good. HPI typing time is non existent- just copy paste.
Also can ask it medical treatment questions and it'll pull from current literature
 
How many patients a day are you guys seeing to need to use AI? I still just don’t trust it. I’d rather use templates and edit
 
For the record dragon is all you need it doesn't take that long to talk Bros.... Now I don't know how expensive that is...
 
How many patients a day are you guys seeing to need to use AI? I still just don’t trust it. I’d rather use templates and edit

I 110% agree with you. I would also rather use templates and dragon. We don't have dragon on our EMR, and I am scheduled 30-35 per day. Some notes I can keep up if it's a quick F/U where they're healed or if it's an injection (template for the injection).

But when there's 10+ NEW patients per day, it's hard to keep up because if I do the note then and there, there's 3-6 people already roomed and waiting. 1 patient per 10 mins from 8-11:30 and 1:00-5
 
Last edited:
I 110% agree with you. I would also rather use templates and dragon. We don't have dragon on our EMR, and I am scheduled 30-35 per day. Some notes I can keep up if it's a quick F/U where they're healed or if it's an injection (template for the injection).

But when there's 10+ NEW patients per day, it's hard to keep up because if I do the note then and there, there's 3-6 people already roomed and waiting. 1 patient per 10 mins from 8-11:30 and 1:30-5
That’s a lot of patients.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I use Scope.
PP setting.
Really happy with it especially for new patients.

Its an AI model but charts specifically in each section of the note.
So you can upload your own template and give it specific commands. HPI too dense, make it more concise- keep pertinent symptoms nature location duration onset. When triggering physical exam- upload a template- give commands to use that physical as a default physical exam template and add pertinent details.

Its pretty good. HPI typing time is non existent- just copy paste.
Also can ask it medical treatment questions and it'll pull from current literature
Their website kinda sucks... is Scope 100% free or is it free for a limited, locked down service and pay for better access?
 
I 110% agree with you. I would also rather use templates and dragon. We don't have dragon on our EMR, and I am scheduled 30-35 per day. Some notes I can keep up if it's a quick F/U where they're healed or if it's an injection (template for the injection).

But when there's 10+ NEW patients per day, it's hard to keep up because if I do the note then and there, there's 3-6 people already roomed and waiting. 1 patient per 10 mins from 8-11:30 and 1:30-5
That's the thing with Dragon vs using Scope.

Dragon I still have to go back and dictate the HPI etc.

Scope is already recording and putting the HPI in the style I want.

I only have to copy paste that section in and make sure its accurate. Saves my fingers from typing and chapped lips.
Physical exam template is already uploaded to Scope so it automatically puts it in that format- again, no typing or having to dictate into Dragon.

Yes, I will tend to speak physical findings straight into my phone in front of the patient- have had zero issues with patients doing it and for the most part they kind of look impressed because they have no idea wtf I'm saying.

Yes I also tend to narrate a little more. Pertinent stuff like allergies to medications, previous treatment, Hx GERD, Kidney problems, DMII etc. Phone picks it up puts it in my HPI. It'll even pick up my Xray findings that I show the patient- so again I am not typing or having to re-speak any of these things. Just check, make sure its accurate, copy paste.

So when I go back and have 10+ notes to do- all HPI is done, all physical exam findings are done, Scope will spit out all treatment plans we talked about and/or discussed for the future in a format that I want (by giving it directions).

The only things I'm plugging in are procedure note templates + billing + modifiers
 
I 110% agree with you. I would also rather use templates and dragon. We don't have dragon on our EMR, and I am scheduled 30-35 per day. Some notes I can keep up if it's a quick F/U where they're healed or if it's an injection (template for the injection).

But when there's 10+ NEW patients per day, it's hard to keep up because if I do the note then and there, there's 3-6 people already roomed and waiting. 1 patient per 10 mins from 8-11:30 and 1:30-5
That's too many patients. 25 tops. 10-12 new
 
I agree just use any decent EMR,
make GOOD templates, many of them (well worth your time... obviously save them in word doc if you are employed and might leave),
make templates for tons of stuff... ingrown slant, ingrown avulsion, ingrown matrix, adult PTTD, peds flat, ankle sprain, 5th met styloid fx, 5th met Jones fx, etc etc.,
make text shortcuts for all procedures, inject, verruca sal, verruca canth, etc (all CPTs on your superbill basically)... so all you have to do is add left/right/digit/area,
make even more text shortcuts for pre op discuss, revision surgery discuss, PT, Rx DM shoes, Rx orthotic, Rx drop foot brace, disp any DME you have in office, all that...
teach your MA how to drop in those shortcuts and why it's important,
...dictate when needed (something like rare injury or path that you don't have good template for... or obviously need dictate if you are not good at typing).

See a manageable number of pts.
(for me, that's 16-20pts/d x4d/wk, usually ~5new per day... yes I know that's VA level of lazy, but I am owner and do admin stuff... and can keep high % of collect vs employed docs, so I don't need to see a ton).

When you try to add the AI, you just increase cost (which will increase over time). That means you need to see even more patients (whether you are PP owner/partner or whether hospital takes it out of your pay to pay for AI upgrade). More patients means more notes, more test results to review, more rx refills, more work and FMLA, more headaches, more potential issues all around. Why do you think all the PCPs are starting to go cash pay and cap panel at ~500 or less... as opposed to the 1000+ hospitals will have them seeing? Stop the insanity.

If you are in your office late, it should be because you were dickin around and procrastinating doing fantasy football or trading stocks or YT or something... not because your lack of well-templated EMR is holding you back. 🙂
 
Last edited:
That's too many patients. 25 tops. 10-12 new
That’s a lot of patients.

I agree. I very much despise coming to work every day. haha.

But I'm newer here, and other providers here are pushing 40 to 55 per day, So I don't want to sound like a complainer. The worst part is, I'm the type of person that likes to see the patient and then sit down and do the note, and then go see the next one and then sit down and do the note. In the earlier days when it was like 20 to 25 patients, I was able to do all the notes as I went along, With maybe 1 hour at worst after clinic of catching up. Now, me and my two colleagues at this office are here from 5 to 7 or 8 PM every night, catching up on notes. And we're still not actually done with all of them. I still do a few early the next AM. I don't think I've ever not had notes to do on the weekend since I've started being in attending either haha.

I'm slowly building up templates, but our EMR is not conducive to being fast with documentation because everything takes several clicks just to get one section done. I am not even overexaggerating. To do an entire SAP note, it could easily be 30 to 40 clicks when you factor in having to go on different pages and then open the text box and then put in the codes and then click the codes and then attaching the pointers to the correct diagnosis and the laterality and all that.


If a good AI system saves me even one hour per day, I do not mind spending a couple hundred bucks a month on it.
 
I agree. I very much despise coming to work every day. haha.

But I'm newer here, and other providers here are pushing 40 to 55 per day, So I don't want to sound like a complainer. The worst part is, I'm the type of person that likes to see the patient and then sit down and do the note, and then go see the next one and then sit down and do the note. In the earlier days when it was like 20 to 25 patients, I was able to do all the notes as I went along, With maybe 1 hour at worst after clinic of catching up. Now, me and my two colleagues at this office are here from 5 to 7 or 8 PM every night, catching up on notes.

I'm slowly building up templates, but our EMR is not conducive to being fast with documentation because everything takes several clicks just to get one section done. I am not even overexaggerating. To do an entire SAP note, it could easily be 30 to 40 clicks when you factor in having to go on different pages and then open the text box and then put in the codes and then click the codes and then attaching the pointers to the correct diagnosis and the laterality and all that.


If a good AI system saves me even one hour per day, I do not mind spending a couple hundred bucks a month on it.
private equity? 40-55 a day. how is that possible? I've seen people do it but the quality of care drops significantly over 30 i feel.
 
private equity? 40-55 a day. how is that possible? I've seen people do it but the quality of care drops significantly over 30 i feel.

By not doing any notes as you go along, and when you do do them, extremely crappy notes.

I don't have it in me to do crappy notes, and that's why it takes me a few hours per day to do them.

Other people here, you would all literally **** yourselves if you saw their notes and how bad they are. But the practice has been around for a long time, and there's never been any audits or pushbacks or anything from what I have heard. Not private equity, but a supergroup in the area I am in. We dominate a couple of other practices that are here because we get people in same day and really, really quickly when their referrals come in if it's an HMO/IPA/medicaid


I will also say, that I think because of how high the volume is, we are leaving money on the table because you're bound to forget billing every procedure you did or every injection or billing the correct modifiers and all that stuff. So it just ends up being the office visit because you can't remember the other stuff. I have seen other doctors follow-up patients, like, if they were out sick, and the patient tells me they had blah blah procedure done the last time they were here, and I look at the note, and it's just an office visit, lol.

Definitely boots and post-op shoes and other DME go uncharged. Seen that happen multiple times with the owner, lol
 
Last edited:
...we are leaving money on the table because you're bound to forget billing every procedure you did or every injection or billing the correct modifiers and all that stuff. So it just ends up being the office visit because you can't remember the other stuff. ...
Why don't you have paper superbills? That would fix all that.
(circle codes + make brief note when you leave room, desk scans it to chart when pt checks out... refer back to it when doing note, biller can check it if note/billing seems off)

... a supergroup in the area I am in. We dominate a couple of other practices that are here because we get people in same day and really, really quickly when their referrals come in if it's an HMO/IPA/medicaid ...
Those are not the types of pts you want (needy, drama).
Those are not the insurances you want.
The other offices are actually dominating yours if they're seeing better insured pts, higher per pt $, not rushing to accommodate add-ons.
There is something to be said for having patients work on your schedule - not the other way around.
Work smarter, not harder (after you leave that place). 🙂

...I don't have it in me to do crappy notes, and that's why it takes me a few hours per day to do them...
...never been any audits or pushbacks or anything from what I have heard...
You need to learn to "do crappy notes".... a few patients per day need good notes (surg pts, work comp, weird deformity or etc).
Most are fine with quick notes. The notes are really more for the billing than anything else.

...All practices have had audits. Many of them. They are probably just handling it in biller office.
Sometimes not big or not taking $$ back, but they have them. Yeah. The higher the volume or the longer in biz, the more they'll have.
 
Last edited:
Why don't you have paper superbills? That would fix all that.
(circle codes + make brief note when you leave room, desk scans it to chart when pt checks out... refer back to it when doing note, biller can check it if note/billing seems off)

We do. But the front office can't keep up with uploading them the same day when there's 150+ patients per day b/w us 4 here at this location. It's the same story at our other location too. Most of us just want to get the note done and move on. And I mean, it's mostly small stuff like calluses. We don't miss the big stuff like ingrown procedures or flexor tenotomy. Might miss a couple injections here or there, I'm sure, from other providers.

Those are not the types of pts you want (needy, drama).
Those are not the insurances you want.
The other offices are actually dominating yours if they're seeing better insured pts, higher per pt $, not rushing to accommodate add-ons.
There is something to be said for having patients work on your schedule - not the other way around.
Work smarter, not harder (after you leave that place). 🙂

I very much am in agreement with you. However, we're also seeing the better insured patients as well on top of the "patients we don't want". Surprisingly, our Medicaid patients actually reimburse really well. I probably make more off of them than I do the private PPO insurances. And not by volume, but by sheer collections per patient.We're in a very DME/procedure friendly state that reimburses for anything and everything.
 
Does anyone know much would Dragon cost? I will pay it for myself because yes in residency, I used to dictate through Dragon on patients which made my life easier. I am in PP, obviously owner won't pay but I don't mind paying out of pocket if it is for myself.

Thank you guys for the other suggestions which I will be exploring as well.
 
Does anyone know much would Dragon cost? I will pay it for myself because yes in residency, I used to dictate through Dragon on patients which made my life easier. I am in PP, obviously owner won't pay but I don't mind paying out of pocket if it is for myself.

Thank you guys for the other suggestions which I will be exploring as well.

Haha. Dude, me and you are in the same boat. Our EMR does have a dictation option and even an AI option, and they don't pay for either of them. And I can't get it myself because it has to be through the company EMR if I want it. So either we all get it and they pay for it or none of us do. Lol.
 
That's the thing with Dragon vs using Scope.

Dragon I still have to go back and dictate the HPI etc.

Scope is already recording and putting the HPI in the style I want.

I only have to copy paste that section in and make sure its accurate. Saves my fingers from typing and chapped lips.
Physical exam template is already uploaded to Scope so it automatically puts it in that format- again, no typing or having to dictate into Dragon.

Yes, I will tend to speak physical findings straight into my phone in front of the patient- have had zero issues with patients doing it and for the most part they kind of look impressed because they have no idea wtf I'm saying.

Yes I also tend to narrate a little more. Pertinent stuff like allergies to medications, previous treatment, Hx GERD, Kidney problems, DMII etc. Phone picks it up puts it in my HPI. It'll even pick up my Xray findings that I show the patient- so again I am not typing or having to re-speak any of these things. Just check, make sure its accurate, copy paste.

So when I go back and have 10+ notes to do- all HPI is done, all physical exam findings are done, Scope will spit out all treatment plans we talked about and/or discussed for the future in a format that I want (by giving it directions).

The only things I'm plugging in are procedure note templates + billing + modifiers
I ran some patients through Scope today. My issue is that (a) the Chrome add-on extension does not show me a "Push to Chart" option even with ECW open as a Google Chrome Table so I can't seem to capture that efficacy (b) and when I copy paste the formating goes to hell in a way that Heidi doesn't.

I can't seem to resolve these issues. Otherwise it seems to be a pretty nice program
 
I ran some patients through Scope today. My issue is that (a) the Chrome add-on extension does not show me a "Push to Chart" option even with ECW open as a Google Chrome Table so I can't seem to capture that efficacy (b) and when I copy paste the formating goes to hell in a way that Heidi doesn't.

I can't seem to resolve these issues. Otherwise it seems to be a pretty nice program
Cntrl + shift + V to paste in native format

Sometimes ECW will catch a stray "-" that they can't format and you may have to replace but meh
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I ran some patients through Scope today. My issue is that (a) the Chrome add-on extension does not show me a "Push to Chart" option even with ECW open as a Google Chrome Table so I can't seem to capture that efficacy (b) and when I copy paste the formating goes to hell in a way that Heidi doesn't.

I can't seem to resolve these issues. Otherwise it seems to be a pretty nice program

how did it compare to Heidi? I remember you being the long time Heidi-user since like 2024 lol
 
I actually like this Scope program a lot. Heidi has a tendency to take all mechanical problems and group them together. This separates them which I think is a good thing.

Nice, I will check it out.
So I don't know if you saw, but Heidi has a new point and click dictation thing. I don't mean the dictation that's on the Heidi website (like where you can select, transcribe or dictation mode) during ambient listening.

There's a new thing where if you download the actual Heidi app to your computer, it works as a full on dragon essentially, directly onto your EMR or literally anything on your computer. It did ask to record my screen, which I thought was a little weird, but I guess that's the only way it knows where the pointer is. But it actually works as a full on medical dictation thing directly into wherever you have the pointer. Recognizes all the podiatry jargon too.

You can also have it make shortcuts so if I say "Q8 physical exam", it drops the full objective that you told it to make previously. It's kind of neat.
 
Nice, I will check it out.
So I don't know if you saw, but Heidi has a new point and click dictation thing. I don't mean the dictation that's on the Heidi website (like where you can select, transcribe or dictation mode) during ambient listening.

There's a new thing where if you download the actual Heidi app to your computer, it works as a full on dragon essentially, directly onto your EMR or literally anything on your computer. It did ask to record my screen, which I thought was a little weird, but I guess that's the only way it knows where the pointer is. But it actually works as a full on medical dictation thing directly into wherever you have the pointer. Recognizes all the podiatry jargon too.

You can also have it make shortcuts so if I say "Q8 physical exam", it drops the full objective that you told it to make previously. It's kind of neat.
Thanks for this. My set-up is becoming too complicated though.
1. ECW plugin/app open.
2. ECW open on Google chrome. With 2 windows of it I can address things as they arise without interrupting note writing.
3. Heidi desktop app open so I can Dragon for free into notes
4. Scope open since I like it's plans better than Heidi's.
5. And I've got Microdicom open on both my in room laptop and my desktop.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this. My set-up is becoming too complicated though.
1. ECW plugin/app open.
2. ECW open on Google chrome. With 2 windows of it I can address things as they arise without interrupting note writing.
3. Heidi desktop app open so I can Dragon for free into notes
4. Scope open since I like its plan's better than Heidi's.
5. And I've got Microdicom open on both my in room laptop and my desktop.

hacker GIF
 
So I don't know if you saw, but Heidi has a new point and click dictation thing. I don't mean the dictation that's on the Heidi website (like where you can select, transcribe or dictation mode) during ambient listening.
Just wanna say, I have been using this for the past 2 days for my notes. This has been EXCELLENT advice until I start exploring other scribe systems mentioned here. Just wanted to update in case anyone else was wondering. Thank you!
 
I use practice fusion and the OpenAI isn't compatible with uploading the patient list on it. Regardless it has been great for new patients or any concerning follow-up. I would ideally want to completely switch to AI for all my documentation including chip and clip. I am wondering if Heidi is as good? I am also wondering if I should just invest in Dragon for myself and dictate that way like I did in residency.

Hi. I didn't take the time to read the whole thread so please accept my apologies if you've already gotten your answer.

I use Practice Fusion too. I've set up all of the templates that I typically might use and edit as needed using the Voice Access that's integral to Windows 11 (free). It doesn't have a huge medical vocabulary and it'll capture numerous errors in my voice recognition (e.g., "hallux valgus" becomes "Alex Vargas" haha, which I kind of like) but then I click on "Ask Gemini" and it opens up a column next to the Practice Fusion window. I then cut my dictation, dictate "Clean this up:" into Gemini window, then paste into the box and it rewrites it for me with impressive medical accuracy. This is also free and I can bang out most notes in under a minute. No need to pay the ludicrous subscription price for Dragon.
 
1. Sadly, Scope Health has announced their intention to move towards a subscription model. It absolutely writes a note that is superior to Heidi.
2. I am still loving Heidi's free point and dictate feature. Download the app. Point your cursor and get high quality, rapid AI dictation.

Look - its a rare @NatCh. More often found roaming freely in the forests of the Pacific northwest.
 
Oh yeah, OP if you’d rather have AI handle your documentation, Practice Fusion actually has its own integrated system called PF Scribe that will upload your patient list. Have you tried it?

I tested it out for a couple of weeks but ultimately abandoned it. I just didn't like the format of the generated notes. While it saved me some time upfront by listening to the patient interaction, it created more work later. At follow-up visits, I found myself sitting there trying to reverse-engineer what actually happened because the note didn't track my thought process well.

1789493990618.png
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Sadly, Scope Health has announced their intention to move towards a subscription model. It absolutely writes a note that is superior to Heidi.
2. I am still loving Heidi's free point and dictate feature. Download the app. Point your cursor and get high quality, rapid AI dictation.

Look - its a rare @NatCh. More often found roaming freely in the forests of the Pacific northwest.

If scope is that good, I am 100% willing to pay for it on my own. I'm so sick and tired of notes. I'm starting to realise Heidi's HPI is also lacking. That was kind of the only thing I was using it for, other than the dictation feature. Honestly, Claude has been great for the whole SOAP note. And when you have an account with them, you can save templates. So I just say "use my right sinus tarsitis template for this 55-year-old patient with right lateral ankle pain worse with ambulation, 6 mos, OTC pain meds don't work, X-rays showed blah blah prescribed this medication recommended orthotics. Ice it, elevate it", and boom, it spits out a whole professional sounding and looking note. Lol.

But if scope could handle all of that without me having to put it into Claude, then that would be an absolute game changer. Because Heidi definitely can't do any of that.
 
They'll give you 10 hours for free if you want to test it. I think it does a better job than Heidi of preventing exam/plan from slipping into HPI and its much more likely to include the appropriate L/R/BL extremity etc. The plans just seem to make better sense.

The future of all of these services is to cost money. We are the product at present. Enjoy it while you can.
 
They'll give you 10 hours for free if you want to test it. I think it does a better job than Heidi of preventing exam/plan from slipping into HPI and its much more likely to include the appropriate L/R/BL extremity etc. The plans just seem to make better sense.

The future of all of these services is to cost money. We are the product at present. Enjoy it while you can.

Nice. Yeah, I'lll give it a try next week. But like I said, I am very much willing to pay for it if it saves me even 1 single hour per day of documentation lol
 
Oh yeah, OP if you’d rather have AI handle your documentation, Practice Fusion actually has its own integrated system called PF Scribe that will upload your patient list. Have you tried it?

I tested it out for a couple of weeks but ultimately abandoned it. I just didn't like the format of the generated notes. While it saved me some time upfront by listening to the patient interaction, it created more work later. At follow-up visits, I found myself sitting there trying to reverse-engineer what actually happened because the note didn't track my thought process well.

View attachment 424591
I just checked, I don't have that feature. Likely practice owner got the cheapest version of it lol
 
They'll give you 10 hours for free if you want to test it. I think it does a better job than Heidi of preventing exam/plan from slipping into HPI and its much more likely to include the appropriate L/R/BL extremity etc. The plans just seem to make better sense.

The future of all of these services is to cost money. We are the product at present. Enjoy it while you can.
Does scope have ambient listening?