Opening doors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocMom1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly does it mean when someone says "school X will open more doors for you"?

Members don't see this ad.

more opportunities in the future... often through networking, established relationships, recommendations by prominent faculty, world class facilities, etc.

It means that there are more specialized staff door openers, that as a medical student you are entilted to use of the door openers and X school will have have more door openings per medical student than other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its also closely related to prestige. Maybe you'll be more likely to get that job (fellowship, residency) interview because you have Harvard on your resume versus another less prestigious school.

It means that there are more specialized staff door openers, that as a medical student you are entilted to use of the door openers and X school will have have more door openings per medical student than other schools.

Yeah, they're like bellhops and elevator operators. There's a student to door opener ratio in the MSAR to help you compare schools. I think Princeton has the highest ratio.

Which is actually pretty nice. You quickly learn to appreciate this, especially if you're a dude, and nobody ever opens doors for you. I do remember Princeton's interview day - awesome! It's like those automated doors, but more classy.

Which is actually pretty nice. You quickly learn to appreciate this, especially if you're a dude, and nobody ever opens doors for you. I do remember Princeton's interview day - awesome! It's like those automated doors, but more classy.

This. I interviewed at one school with a low door opener count. Walked straight into a closed door and broke my nose. Pretty much discounted it as an option after that.

This. I interviewed at one school with a low door opener count. Walked straight into a closed door and broke my nose. Pretty much discounted it as an option after that.

No way! That almost happened to me, too! But yeah, you can definitely see the importance of a good ratio once you face this situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.