Opening my own store. Posting my experiences.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is legal to sell CBD in California at a pharmacy.

I've been solicited by several CBD reps and they are very different from traditional pharmaceutical reps, to say the least.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is legal to sell CBD in California at a pharmacy.
I've been solicited by several CBD reps and they are very different from traditional pharmaceutical reps, to say the least.
I've told one "bro-salesman" to not call back until they hired someone that didn't give me a migraine.

He. Would. Not. Shut. Up.

"Haha bruh haha ur customers will love you when you sell them this good-good.
Truuuuuuust me dawg, I can teach you how to sell it to aaanyone"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've told one "bro-salesman" to not call back until they hired someone that didn't give me a migraine.

He. Would. Not. Shut. Up.

"Haha bruh haha ur customers will love you when you sell them this good-good.
Truuuuuuust me dawg, I can teach you how to sell it to aaanyone"

Haha, for some reason when they give me their business cards it always says "CEO" of something.

Reactions: 1 users
8 weeks in and I am done with the basics
DS
CS
DEA
NPI
NCPCP
everything is in. I am legal and ready to go.

Finishing off wholesaler paperwork tonight. Now the long wait for PSAO and a few individual insurance contracts.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi Riskybusiness:

I am considering the pros and cons of starting an independent following the cash only model. No insurance taken, mainly (or totally) generics only.

Did you consider this before jumping in and if so why did you reject it? Trying to ascertain if it is a doable thing.

Here are two links to two pharmacies where this is their model. Both seem to be doing okay...one is doing well enough to have several different locations. MedSavers Pharmacy - MedSavers Pharmacy | Your Local Austin Pharmacy and Pharmacy In Tulsa | Cheap Pharmacies - Save up to 80% on Meds I have also linked an article regarding this model. Cash-Only Pharmacy Offers Savings on Medicines

Explain... do you know what kind of insurance fraud or what happened?

I tried to find the original 50 page, multi-year thread, and it appears to be gone. Or maybe it's too early in the morning to look for it. Short story, I believe the pharmacist in question had every intention of being honest when he opened his store.....but over time either got greedy, or realized it was impossible to make ends meet. Or maybe both. So he was charged with paying doctors to write prescriptions to be filled at his pharmacies, which were then billed to Tricare (I'm sure other insurances were involved as well, but if I remember Tricare is the one that originally brought the charges against him.) Maybe someone else will remember more than me. It's a shame if he deleted his thread, because it was a great look at opening an independent pharmacy from scratch, expanding to multiple pharmacies (I think 3?), and then the demise due to insurance fraud charges.

Hi Riskybusiness:

I am considering the pros and cons of starting an independent following the cash only model. No insurance taken, mainly (or totally) generics only.

Did you consider this before jumping in and if so why did you reject it? Trying to ascertain if it is a doable thing.

Here are two links to two pharmacies where this is their model. Both seem to be doing okay...one is doing well enough to have several different locations. MedSavers Pharmacy - MedSavers Pharmacy | Your Local Austin Pharmacy and Pharmacy In Tulsa | Cheap Pharmacies - Save up to 80% on Meds I have also linked an article regarding this model. Cash-Only Pharmacy Offers Savings on Medicines

I entertained this idea once. The two main cons that drove me away: 1.) People don’t want to pay anything if they have insurance, even if the cash price is $5. 2.) you can’t do cash for expensive meds, especially insulin. You can’t properly serve a patient if you can’t fill all of their meds.. there may be an interaction that could kill them.
Pros: -you would be making a lot more on those generics than what the insurance will reimburse you. -you wouldn’t have to deal with negative reimbursements. -low cost of inventory would be a big plus.

But my biggest reason is you can’t properly serve a patient. But if you just want to make a profit or need a job, it’s definitly worth looking into. Call it “super discount drugs” or something