Operations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YourLocalGeek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In neurosurgery, you don't need to stick to what you completed your fellowship in right? I mean, let's say you completed a fellowship in Pediatric Neurosurgery and you're now a practicing surgeon. Do ALL your operations HAVE to be related to Peds? I'm not asking if you can simply forget about your fellowship and start doing SBT or Spinal or anything. I'm just asking if you can do some Peds operations and some that aren't.

Members don't see this ad.

No you don't have to just stick to the area of surgery that you are fellowship trained. However, completing a fellowship in theory is suppose to give you some techincal and knowledge advantage in that field. So most likely you want to narrow your scope of practice and referral base to that area. There are very few neurosurgeons (especially in the academic setting) that I know of that only do one area of surgery, i.e. spine surgery only. Hope this answers your question.