Ophthalmology course for WQE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OphthoGal2023

Reaction score
I am out of residency and for various reasons I postponed taking boards until after fellowship, I need to stick to one resource for q bank, I plan to do BCSC, one book (Friedman review of ophthalmology) and I want to stick to one course Wills vs San Antonio vs. Illinois Eye vs. Lancaster? I am not sure which one to pick, any recommendations are welcomed.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I would not stick to one question bank, such as only the BCSC or only Friedman. That is a recipe for disaster. Do as many questions as possible. OphthoQuestions is a popular choice.

As far as courses, Lancaster is the best for starting residency and the worse for board preparation, in my opinion. I believe it depends on your current situation. San Antonio is the cheapest and the best if you don't know much. Wills is slightly more esoteric but still mainstream ophthalmology. Wills is significantly more expensive than San Antonio, which also has cheaper hotels. (San Antonio also has the Drury Inn within walking distance of the course's hotel. Drury has free breakfast and dinner so you can have most of your food covered) Illinois Eye is a grueling 80 hours long. I like courses. I might even do two. Wills + San Antonio is difficult due to the scheduling but Illinois Eye + Wills or San Antonio is possible.

The Osler Course is nice if you have time to review all the online videos. Otherwise using Ophthoquestions and doing the question bank 2 times should suffice. I found using a task list app like ticktick (or apple notes) that you can have on your phone and computers. It's nice to make reference "cards" that I would routinely review during work or after hours or if I saw a patient with a similar issue. Other people use anki but I didn't like to see the large number of cards amassing/ it was anxiety-provoking for me.