Ophthalmology Elective Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iSight

Medical Student, c/o '09
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently finished an ophthalmology elective and received a High Pass. :scared: The grade is under review and could possibly be changed to an honors later in the semester.

Since Ophtho is an Early Match Program, I need to get my documents in ASAP. Just a few question for anyone who can help! :idea:
  1. Does anyone know how this High Pass (versus an Honors grade) would effect my chances of getting interviews?
  2. Should I send in an older unofficial transcript that doesn't have my Ophtho grade posted in hopes of it possibly being changed and send in an official transcript later?
  3. Would an unofficial transcript look bad to Program directors?
  4. Is a High Pass vs. an Honors grade in Ophtho really all that bad??
I'm stressed because I know 90% of ppl applying will have at least gotten honors in Ophtho. I don't want doors to be closed because of it. (I made a 238 Step 1 score, with just a few honors in both pre-clinical and clinical years)

Any advice is welcome!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think CAS accepts unofficial transcripts; you have to send an official transcript at the tiem the deans letter is sent - that will be nov 1 for most schools, and you should have most, if not all, of your interviews set up by then.

I did two ophthalmology rotations m4 year, only one made my transcript that i sent into sf match, the one that i got High pass on. The honors in my second month never was seen.

And i matched. I'm not so sure that it matters very much. I think that step 1 and letters of rec and overall performance during your first 3 med school years are infinately more important than your ophtho grade.

just my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the replies!

I was debating between sending in either the unofficial (without the HP) and the official (with the HP).

The unofficial one looks shady, only because I had to print it off the computer (not one I received from the Registrar's office).

I think I will put the official one on and just take my chances... :eek:

My med school's official transcript had no grades at all, just pass/fail. I just wrote down all my Honors,HighPass in the CAS academic achievement part, and no one on the interview trail ever said anything about it. However I would definitely try to include you got honors in an ophtho rotation in your CAS, you are applying to ophtho.

My 4th year grades do not show up on my transcript, and I was told by my school they are only mentioned in the dean's letter. Therefore, as previous people pointed out, I listed 3rd and 4th year honors in the achievements, honors, awards section. Regardless, if I included them or not, it will come out in the LOR from the ophtho attendings that I worked with whether I was honors or not. Either include them in the CAS or not, your true performance will be known through your letters. Take care and see you soon!!