Ophthalmology Fellowship Options!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simba007

Reaction score
I am a practicing ophthalmologist from India and moved to the U.S. a couple of years ago. I am a U.S. permanent resident. I am ECFMG certified and have applied for residency this year. My scores are in the 220's. Because of my score and ophthalmology being super competitive I did not apply for residency in ophthalmology. Instead I applied for IM and Neurology. I have 10 years of experience in ophthalmology and have a strong research background in ophthalmology. I would like to know my options regarding ophthalmology fellowships if I go unmatched this year. Please advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a practicing ophthalmologist from India and moved to the U.S. a couple of years ago. I am a permanent resident. I am ECFMG certified and have applied for residency this year. My scores are in the 220's. Because of my score and ophthalmology being super competitive I did not apply for residency in ophthalmology. Instead I applied for IM and Neurology. I have 10 years of experience in ophthalmology and have a strong research background in ophthalmology. I would like to know my options regarding ophthalmology fellowships if I go unmatched this year. Please advice. Thanks.

My question is what exactly are you planning to do after fellowship. Are you planning on moving back to India to practice, or using your fellowship as a way to improve your application for residency?

My question is what exactly are you planning to do after fellowship. Are you planning on moving back to India to practice, or using your fellowship as a way to improve your application for residency?
I want to improve my ophthalmology residency application by doing the fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to improve my ophthalmology residency application by doing the fellowship.

Your best bet is to find an academic fellowship. However,
academic fellowships are nowadays focusing more on producing practicing clinicians that have finished a US residency. I would be upfront about your intentions.

To be truthful, I think your Step score will impact you a lot if you do pursue residency options after a fellowship. this year, we’ve had some FMGs with step scores at least in the 240s. Many have pre-residency or have already completed a fellowship, or have R1/K grants. Each year somehow it gets even more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your replies Slide and Cawolf. Appreciate it.