Ophthalmology in University of Washington

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by blind spot, Dec 29, 2008.

1. blind spot

Medical Student
    Hi All,

I am a recent graduate from an International Medical School and interested in doing ophthalmology residency, unfortunately I can only apply in Washington state and so my best option would be UW, but since I am an IMG my chances are very low almost impossible, but I would still like to try. My question is what should I do to make myself a stronger candidate? PhD, research or any other option?

Please help...!!!

2. toomanyeyes

10+ Year Member

PhD or Research would probably help the most.

Good Luck!

3. blind spot

Medical Student
    OK...!!!
    But PhD in what subject.? and what are the prerequisites for getting PhD also how can you get a research position for an year or so..?

4. MDEYES

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ophthalmology is very competitive, even for americans. If you realy want to have a chance, you cannot put all your hopes in one place. You will have to apply to several places and cross your fingers.

Doing a PhD is probably too long, you can email several faculty at diferent institutions and ask if they have any post doc position, that could be a begining.

GL

5. blind spot

Medical Student
    I am committed enough to do a PhD but if there is anything else that makes my chances any better I would go for it. I don't really have any knowledge about the postdoc positions, can you answer a few q's like how do I get it ? should I contact the PD's? how long is it? etc