Ophthalmology Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djk10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are the average class ranks/USMLEs for kids who DO match in Ophtho...I always hear "very good'' or "good.'' But those arent actual numbers :)

Thanks yall

Members don't see this ad.

From the FAQ:

How competitive is ophthalmology?
All applicants must be graduates from a medical school with the M.D. or D.O. degree.

Applicants are very strong candidates with good grades in medical school, excellent board scores, demonstrated interest in ophthalmology, and outstanding letters of recommendation. Here are some statistics from the 2001 match:

CAS Participants: 798 (662 rank lists submitted)
Matched Participants: 435 (379 were new US Seniors, 83% of new US Seniors matched)
Matched Avg. USMLE I: 224
Unmatched Avg. USMLE I: 206
Avg. applications: 36
Avg. interviews: 7.5
Number of FMG?s matched: 23

For the 2004 Match:
CAS Participants: 786 (639 rank lists submitted)
Matched Participants: 438 (369 were new US Seniors, 82% of new US Seniors matched)
Matched Avg. USMLE I: 228
Unmatched Avg. USMLE I: 218
Avg. applications: 41
Avg. interviews: 7.9 (Average offers 4)
Number of FMG?s matched: 35
Percent Matched AOA - 20%

For the 2005 Match:
CAS Participants: 761 (596 rank lists submitted)
Matched Participants: 443 (374 were new US Seniors, 86% of new US Seniors matched)
Matched Avg. USMLE I: 229
Unmatched Avg. USMLE I: 213
Avg. applications: 43
Avg. interviews: 8.4 (Average offers 4.4)
Number of FMG?s matched: 34

SDN 2004 Match Stats:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...threadid=100344

SDN 2004 USMLE Scores:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...threadid=100036

SDN 2005 Match Stats:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169692

One thing in optho is that it is not necessarily the numbers, but also whether you have shown an interest in the field during school.
It is a small specialty. A good LOR from a known ophthalmologist showing your enthusiasm during an elective carries you further than beeing an AOA egghead with scores off the chart.

Members don't see this ad :)
JMK2005 said:
Check out the FAQ!... Lots of good info

I read the 1st post as a question re: how competitive ophtho was for DO applicants. Did I read it wrong? Our FAQ referrs mostly to allopathic applicants with a few statistics for FMGs. Re: how competitive ophtho is for DO applicants?, I'm not really sure nor do I know of any resources that address this issue.

rubensan said:
I read the 1st post as a question re: how competitive ophtho was for DO applicants. Did I read it wrong? Our FAQ referrs mostly to allopathic applicants with a few statistics for FMGs. Re: how competitive ophtho is for DO applicants?, I'm not really sure nor do I know of any resources that address this issue.
I was asking about Allopathic in particular, but I'm sure there are D.O. candidates who are also curious...thank you all for your responses thus far :)

The "DO" part was to emphasize those who actually match in Optho vs. those who DO NOT...sorry about the confusion