Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christinne

Reaction score
Hi! Do you think ophthalmology is suitable for a resident who doesn’t like to make guard during residency (because I heard that you learn in the guards) and, in short, wants a quiet life without stress, emergencies and minimal contact with patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming meant wards or inpatient type work like making rounds etc. Quiet life without stress and no patient contact? Quit medicine and pursue another career path would be my suggestion. Sounds like medicine, any specialty, is not for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology?
Research?
Biotech startup?
Background as a malpractice attorney?

In the Philippines, I heard many people want an MD degree then work in the family business afterwards. The Vice President of the Republic of China (Taiwan), not to be confused with the People's Republic of China, is a MD specializing in PM&R but went into politics after 2 years of medical practice.

Carl Icahn who flunked out of medical school then became a billionaire and had a medical school named after him, Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai.
You can do anything with a medical degree. Assad as you probably know was an ophthalmologist and now he runs a middle eastern dictatorship. I bet that's more stressful than doing some chalazions. 'Gentle and weak': UK trainee eye surgeon student who became Syrian tyrant

Last edited:
You can do anything with a medical degree. Assad as you probably know was an ophthalmologist and now he runs a middle eastern dictatorship. I bet that's more stressful than doing some chalazions. 'Gentle and weak': UK trainee eye surgeon student who became Syrian tyrant
I mean, it's a job where you poke people in the eye with needles and all manner of other instruments. There's going to be some people who enjoy that a little too much with other plans in life from time to time.