Ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

deathmerchant

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello . Any recommendations for a good and affordable ophthalmoscope ?? Which one and where to buy it from ? Possibly pan-optic( if not too expensive).
Thanks
 
The PanOptic is nice, but it's huge. It's like carrying a cordless drill around with you. Which means you won't carry it. Which means you'll be down in the ED using the wall-mounted one that's been dropped on the floor 50 times. Save your money and spend some time getting good at using a smaller one. If you can use the PocketScope, you'll be a Jedi. Somehow people could find the disc before Welch-Allyn decided we needed to spend 500 dollars on a optical device that's about as complicated as a golf course rangefinder with a light source.
 
The Panoptic is sweet. I carried mine in the zippered soft plastic case it came with. It won't fit in your coat pocket easily. What did I do? I actually carried a doctor's bag. As it so happened, I used the doctor's bag for various neurology paraphernalia like safety pins, tongue depressors, reflex hammer, q-tips, handbooks, and so forth. I put my stethoscope in the bag, too. It meant my pockets weren't ever heavy.

Yes, I am aware that not everyone wants to carry a case/bag.
 
I keep my panoptic in a pocket of my bag that also carries my tuning fork, hammer, pins, etc. Its too big for a white coat but if you've ditched the white coat for a neurology bag its perfect (Timbuk2 shoulder bags FTW).

I got mine lightly used on ebay for like 600 for the full set (with handle, otoscope, case, sundry accessories nobody uses).