Ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deathmerchant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello . Any recommendations for a good and affordable ophthalmoscope ?? Which one and where to buy it from ? Possibly pan-optic( if not too expensive).
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The PanOptic is nice, but it's huge. It's like carrying a cordless drill around with you. Which means you won't carry it. Which means you'll be down in the ED using the wall-mounted one that's been dropped on the floor 50 times. Save your money and spend some time getting good at using a smaller one. If you can use the PocketScope, you'll be a Jedi. Somehow people could find the disc before Welch-Allyn decided we needed to spend 500 dollars on a optical device that's about as complicated as a golf course rangefinder with a light source.

Reactions: 1 user
The Panoptic is sweet. I carried mine in the zippered soft plastic case it came with. It won't fit in your coat pocket easily. What did I do? I actually carried a doctor's bag. As it so happened, I used the doctor's bag for various neurology paraphernalia like safety pins, tongue depressors, reflex hammer, q-tips, handbooks, and so forth. I put my stethoscope in the bag, too. It meant my pockets weren't ever heavy.

Yes, I am aware that not everyone wants to carry a case/bag.

I keep my panoptic in a pocket of my bag that also carries my tuning fork, hammer, pins, etc. Its too big for a white coat but if you've ditched the white coat for a neurology bag its perfect (Timbuk2 shoulder bags FTW).

I got mine lightly used on ebay for like 600 for the full set (with handle, otoscope, case, sundry accessories nobody uses).