Ophtho case reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting second year of medical school at an offshore school. I observed with a private practice vitreoretinal surgeon in my hometown this summer. I believe I made a good impression and he seemed willing to help me out in the future.

I have no publications or research experience to date and would like to change that. Would it make sense to contact this physician when I am back over winter break (4 weeks) to ask if he has any case reports I could write up for him? I ask because I don't believe he holds any academic positions and I'm not sure if publishing case reports is something that private practice physicians are interested in.

Also can anyone suggest any journals to submit to? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

While having any publications will help you in the application process, having publications involving research would be more helpful than just a case report. Perhaps you could try to do a research rotation?

As far as private practice docs go, many of them are interested in publishing. In fact, many ophtho/retina folks who are heavily into research and publishing are in private practice.

A good place to try publishing a retina related case report is Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. You could also try to send it to Archives of Ophthalmology as a Research Letter. Ophthalmic Surgery Lasers and Imaging is also good for case reports.

Good luck!

I'm just starting second year of medical school at an offshore school. I observed with a private practice vitreoretinal surgeon in my hometown this summer. I believe I made a good impression and he seemed willing to help me out in the future.

I have no publications or research experience to date and would like to change that. Would it make sense to contact this physician when I am back over winter break (4 weeks) to ask if he has any case reports I could write up for him? I ask because I don't believe he holds any academic positions and I'm not sure if publishing case reports is something that private practice physicians are interested in.

Also can anyone suggest any journals to submit to? Thanks for any input.