Ophtho International Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uniteforsight

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Many of you may be interested in this volunteer opportunity.

What is Unite For Sight's Mission? Unite For Sight (www.uniteforsight.org) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that empowers communities worldwide to improve eye health and eliminate preventable blindness.

What Do Volunteers Do?: Unite For Sight’s volunteers range from students, nurses, and public health professionals to optometrists and ophthalmologists. The volunteers serve as interns at eye clinics. The eye clinic’s eye doctors and Unite For Sight volunteers jointly participate on community-based screening programs. The clinic’s eye doctors diagnose and treat eye disease in the field, and surgical patients are brought to the eye clinic for surgery. Unite For Sight funds the surgeries for those patients unable to afford eye care.

How Do I Apply? The application as well as complete details about Unite For Sight's international opportunities are available at http://www.uniteforsight.org/intl_volunteer/

What Do Volunteers Say?: "Working with the eye clinic's team, we were able to treat over 1000 patients and perform sight-restoring cataract surgery on hundreds of patients! I saw more pathology than I will probably ever see as a resident in the U.S. Going to India was one of the best decisions of my life. The satisfaction of giving the gift of sight back to someone who was practically blind is immeasurable. For the first time in over 10 years, a frail and elderly female villager was able to see her reflection in the mirror. She stood up and walked out of the hospital without the help of the nurses, holding a small plastic bag filled with her life belongings, close against her green sari. This memory I will never forget. It was at that point that I realized the significance of why we were there and what we had done. We made a difference." --Walid Mangal, Medical Student, Unite For Sight Volunteer in Chennai and Erode, India

What Do Eye Clinics Say?: "So many people tell me to thank you and your family each day for the help you have given by giving sight to the poor. Our desire to serve and poor patients desire to see would not have been possible without the help and support of Unite For Sight." --Dr. Ajit Sinha, Director, A.B. Eye Institute; President, All India Ophthalmological Society

What Programs Are Available?

_Spring and Summer 2006 Programs With Available Positions_
Rolling Application Deadline - The First Qualified Applicants Will Be Accepted. Positions are filling quickly.
*Spring 2006*
_Asia_
Bhubaneswar, India: February 1-28; March 10 - May 1
Chennai, India: March and April - Flexible Dates for 2 weeks or more
Bihar, India: Flexible dates for 10 days

*Summer 2006 (Note: Volunteers may participate in more than 1 session)*

_Asia_
Bhubaneswar, India: May 15 - June 15; June 15 - July 15; July 15 - August 15
Chennai, India: May 10 - May 30; June 1-30; July 1-31; August 1-25
Bihar, India: Flexible dates for 2 weeks
Erode, India: June 15 - July 15
Hyderabad, India: July 1-30