Ophtho LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone actually match in ophthalmology w/o an ophthalmology LOR?

PLZ give your opinion...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about medical students who come from med schools that do not have ophthalmology programs? What about a radiology resident who suddenly wants to switch to ophthalmology? Will they be punished for not having a LOR from an ophthalmologist? I believe that any letter from a senior board certified physician who knows you professionally and personally is better than a letter from an ophthalmologist saying that you know how to use the slit lamp. Please, if you are going to answer my questions with a simple “NO” at least provide an explanation for the benefit of others. BTW, I have a very close friend who is a radiology resident at Mass General who didn’t submit a LOR written by a radiologist. Can you explain that?

you're right, never say never. but i think even one of the moderators of this forum told you that you NEED a LOR in a previous thread. ophthalmology is a very tight-knit field where many program directors and department chairs know each other and see each other regularly at AAO, AUPO, ARVO, etc. a candidate that is high endorsed by an ophthalmology faculty member is more likely to match than one who is not. during the interview process, you sit in the office with a faculty member who has your file open with your LORs out and they say, "wow dr. so-and-so had some great things to say about you" or "this is the strongest letter dr. x has written for ahwile." i'm sure there are anecdotal reports of applicants who match without LORs from an ophthalmologist, but i guarantee you that they are the exception, not the norm. by all means, be that exception and apply! what we are saying is that it is not OPTIMAL for your application. applicants who apply from programs without ophtho departments usually have done rotations at institutions that do have ophtho departments. AND i guarantee you that the letters that they received from these individuals said more than "candidate x turns the slit lamp on well." kudos to your friend at MGH! how many of his colleagues didn't have LORs from radiologists? listen, no one on this forum is trying to disuade you from applying to ophthalmology. you have posted many threads and sent a few PMs asking what your chances are and we are being honest with you. heck, andrew doan even suggested a nice path to get hooked up with some navy ophthalmologists.

best of luck to you!

DiveMD said:
What about medical students who come from med schools that do not have ophthalmology programs? What about a radiology resident who suddenly wants to switch to ophthalmology? Will they be punished for not having a LOR from an ophthalmologist? I believe that any letter from a senior board certified physician who knows you professionally and personally is better than a letter from an ophthalmologist saying that you know how to use the slit lamp. Please, if you are going to answer my questions with a simple “NO” at least provide an explanation for the benefit of others. BTW, I have a very close friend who is a radiology resident at Mass General who didn’t submit a LOR written by a radiologist. Can you explain that?

DiveMD said:

Nothing is impossible, but matching into ophtho without a LOR from an ophthalmologist is pretty close to impossible. Kudos to your friend who matched at MGH without a radiology letter. But ophthalmology is a much smaller, more closely-knit community where almost everyone knows one another & letters & word of mouth carry a lot of weight. I would say >95% of all applicants submit at least 1 LOR from an ophthalmologist. So not having one is going to hurt you because you're going to stand out. It's almost an understood part of the application process, a prerequisite of sorts. And even for those rare instances of residents switching from another field into ophtho, I'm pretty sure those residents had an ophtho letter too. In fact, it might be more imperative for someone contemplating a career change into ophtho to get a letter in order to demonstrate a genuine interest in the field.

I am applying for Ophtho this year & working on my CAS & other documents. I know I want to do Ophtho from research, shadowing, and lots of exposure to the field, however I unfortunately could not get into a 4th year elective rotation any earlier than this September (actually this coming Monday 8/28 - 9/24). I have 3 LOR's from other rotations, however will obviously not be able to get an Ophtho LOR until late September. Suggestions as to whether I should:
1. Send in & process my CAS with the LOR's that I have, and then could I subsequently add and send out Ophtho as a 4th.
2. Send in 2 now, and wait to forward my CAS & other documents until after the Ophtho letter has been submitted.
3. Send in 2 now, have my CAS/etc fordwarded ASAP, and later submit the Ophtho LOR as a supplemental document?

Somewhat related, should I wait to complete my personal statement until after having the experience of the official Ophtho rotation under my belt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Patrik

rubensan said:
you're right, never say never. but i think even one of the moderators of this forum told you that you NEED a LOR in a previous thread. ophthalmology is a very tight-knit field where many program directors and department chairs know each other and see each other regularly at AAO, AUPO, ARVO, etc. a candidate that is high endorsed by an ophthalmology faculty member is more likely to match than one who is not. during the interview process, you sit in the office with a faculty member who has your file open with your LORs out and they say, "wow dr. so-and-so had some great things to say about you" or "this is the strongest letter dr. x has written for ahwile." i'm sure there are anecdotal reports of applicants who match without LORs from an ophthalmologist, but i guarantee you that they are the exception, not the norm. by all means, be that exception and apply! what we are saying is that it is not OPTIMAL for your application. applicants who apply from programs without ophtho departments usually have done rotations at institutions that do have ophtho departments. AND i guarantee you that the letters that they received from these individuals said more than "candidate x turns the slit lamp on well." kudos to your friend at MGH! how many of his colleagues didn't have LORs from radiologists? listen, no one on this forum is trying to disuade you from applying to ophthalmology. you have posted many threads and sent a few PMs asking what your chances are and we are being honest with you. heck, andrew doan even suggested a nice path to get hooked up with some navy ophthalmologists.

best of luck to you!

Thank you!

KSUJedi said:
I am applying for Ophtho this year & working on my CAS & other documents. I know I want to do Ophtho from research, shadowing, and lots of exposure to the field, however I unfortunately could not get into a 4th year elective rotation any earlier than this September (actually this coming Monday 8/28 - 9/24). I have 3 LOR's from other rotations, however will obviously not be able to get an Ophtho LOR until late September. Suggestions as to whether I should:
1. Send in & process my CAS with the LOR's that I have, and then could I subsequently add and send out Ophtho as a 4th.
2. Send in 2 now, and wait to forward my CAS & other documents until after the Ophtho letter has been submitted.
3. Send in 2 now, have my CAS/etc fordwarded ASAP, and later submit the Ophtho LOR as a supplemental document?

Somewhat related, should I wait to complete my personal statement until after having the experience of the official Ophtho rotation under my belt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Patrik

Just to piggyback his/her concern. I am currently doing ophthalmology clinic time at Tripler Army Medical Center. If I get a LOR late in the process, can I show up with a new letter to the interviews? Will they accept it?

Anyone? Any suggestions from those in the know for my questions from 3 posts up? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance

Hey KSU - I'd go with option #3. Probably best to get in your application so as soon as that ophtho letter arrives it will be ready to be evaluated. Hopefully you will be able to work with one person enough that after a week and a half or two you will be able to ask for a letter and explain your situation so they'll be willing to expedite its writing. Regarding you PS - write that now. You have plenty of experience and exposure to discuss, and can even write about your ophtho elective in the past tense to a certain extent - and of course you'll have completed it by your interviews. Also, keep in mind that your letter-writer may ask to see your PS.

Good luck