Ophtho Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mye Eye

Ophtho Cookie Eater
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall,
I just got my Step 1 score back

it was a 242...my concern is this...this is a good (not great score), and I WAS doing research but strange circumstances prevented my finishing this...is the fact that I am not likely to have much research on my application going to hurt me if i state that i WAS doing it before extenuating circumstances? :)

any suggestions on how to match in a good spot in Cali or the Northeast?

Thanks

Eye Guy

Members don't see this ad.

Reserarch is only part of the app. Your Step I score is plenty good to get you many interviews. Grades of course make a little difference. More importantly, make sure you get good letters of rec. One option might be to get whoever you were doing research with to write you a letter and describe the research you were doing. You may also be able to use this as a "difficult situation where you showed your ability to overcome"....You will even get asked this question on the interview trail. All that being said, I'm sure you are aware that occasional schools are more research oriented, and really don't give out too many interviews to people lacking a solid research background. If you are seriously looking at these schools, then you may have to try and push a little harder to get your foot in the door. Good luck!

thanks for the info buddy....i will certainly keep that in mind, hopefully i can move into a good program based on step I and grades

take care :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i just had my ophthalmology and really liked it. i haven't done any research in that field or any other field. my step 1 score is 235. i got a B in my surgery and psychiatry rotation. i have an A in the rest of them. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how competitive i am and that if there is something i need to do to improve my chances of being accepted.
also i was wondering how i can find out which ophthalmology school are good and which are hard to get into

thank you very much

gdmpppp said:
also i was wondering how i can find out which ophthalmology school are good and which are hard to get into

thank you very much
All of them. :D