Ophtho prep during intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DopaDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm in the thick of intern year right now, going pretty good. I got a pretty good medicine year so I cant really complain. I'm taking Step 3 next month so after that all I'll have to worry about is surviving, which should be easy.

Is there anything that I can do that will better prepare me for the start of ophtho? Did any of you guys do anything during your intern year? Should I consider reading the BCSC books? Did most of yall start PGY-2 with your last ophtho rotation being in MS-4?

This might be silly, but im just really eager to start my ophthalmology career. I worked so hard to match that i feel out of place on my days off right now because I'm not really doing anything except chilling (not that I dont enjoy chilling). I'm going to be getting involved in research soonish too... maybe thats enough to quench my ophtho thirst, but I want to be a great resident and possibly go on to do fellowship. I want to be prepared when I start.

If you guys think reading BCSC is a waste at this point, thats understandable. Any advice you guys have is appreciated. Thanks

Dopa

Members don't see this ad.

Do not read BCSC, but I do recommend getting your feet wet with any research that you can possibly do, including posters/presentations/papers/manuscripts.. that will help drastically if you want to apply fellowship

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto on this post Dopa.

Lots of down time in the hospital in general when I can't go home and am twiddling my thumbs, so I'd like to scan some resources. Any recommendations for a good general and basic text that will be pertinent to clinic and OKAPs (especially OKAPs, my exam history has shown that I do better with a head start on standardized exam studying, heh :cool:)?

I rather use something that I can/will use again in PGY-2 studying anyway, to have a bit of a head start on it, rather than over-resource myself. Thanks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Havent read it myself but ive heard this book is decent for the basics: Practical Ophthalmology: A Manual for Beginning Residents, 6th Edition

Havent read it myself but ive heard this book is decent for the basics: Practical Ophthalmology: A Manual for Beginning Residents, 6th Edition

Good book but more helpful once you're in PGY2 year. It's all about exam techniques and much more helpful if you refer back to it before/after using exam techniques and instruments...

Dont worry about ophthamology until the last few months. Try to schedule an ophth elective. Read up on any resources you used for med school. I liked kanski. Dont even think about bcsc, too dense.

Reactions: 1 user