Ophtho rank lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kashf Oyoun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone out there be open to sharing his or her ophtho rank list in an anonymous fashion? People frequently say how one should put together a well-balanced rank list that includes programs ranging tiers 1 -3, but it would be nice to see what successful applicants actually submit.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure that there are any real "tiers" other than the select few (10-15, or so) programs that are 'ranked'. It seems to me that there are elite programs where residency spots are very difficult to attain, and then there's everyone else...The other 100+ programs that are also highly sought after.
I have not heard of any truly awful ophtho programs. Most people that I spoke to ranked according to location and personal preferences.
good luck!

Would anyone out there be open to sharing his or her ophtho rank list in an anonymous fashion? People frequently say how one should put together a well-balanced rank list that includes programs ranging tiers 1 -3, but it would be nice to see what successful applicants actually submit.

This is a difficult question to answer, and I bet if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers. The above post is correct in that many things go into ranking programs, besides "rankings." Personality fit with program, location, research heavy v. not, surgical experience, autonomy v. hand-holding v. somewhere in between (how do you learn), subspecialty strengths, size of program, rotations away from home program, etc. You have to come up with a list of attributes that you are looking for in a future training program.

As for your question regarding a "well-balanced" rank list, it depends on how strong of an applicant you are. This will take some honest self-reflection and possibly some honest assessment from your mentor/advisor. It is difficult to gauge when first sending out your CAS application, which is why many people over-apply at first (I am one of them). However, you can get a good idea once you start receiving interviews. If you are bagging interviews left and right from everywhere you applied, then you can be a little more selective. If you are getting a few interviews, then you cannot be selective, and will take whatever opportunities come up. I struggled with the same question regarding a "well-balanced" rank list, and it will be in the back of your mind until you find out you match. Odds are, if you go on 8-15 interviews, you stand a great chance of matching. That being said, if those 8 interviews are all top 10 ranked programs, there is a chance that you may slide well down your rank list and even slide right off (highly unlikely if you got interviews at all these places in the first place). The hardest question/decision you will have to make is deciding which interviews to attend (especially with time and resources limited). At least for me, I had no idea if my personality would fit at a place until I visited and talked with the residents and faculty, which is why I chose to go on more interviews at places I was interested. You cannot get a true feel for a place until you visit, and sometimes even then it is difficult.

So, when you receive interviews, schedule them at the places you would truly like to train. Then rank them according to the "fit" for you. The number 1 program may not fit you or be somewhere you want to be, and you may rank it well down your list. But remember, if you rank it, you may end up there! I hope this clarifies some things, and if not, PM me with specific questions.

Good luck!!! It is truly a fun time! Enjoy!