ophtho rotation grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sisyphus22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is a high pass (not honors) grade in an away rotation likely to kill your chances of matching at that program? I got a so-so eval from the residency program director (nothing negative, but very short), but she had minimal contact with me during the rotation. the eval was based entirely on my experiences with the residents, all of whom i got along well with. do you only get interviewed at a program if you blew them away during the rotation? coincidentally, i have a great step 1 and will likely be AOA, but won't have any other ophtho rotation grades on my transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

sisyphus22 said:
is a high pass (not honors) grade in an away rotation likely to kill your chances of matching at that program? I got a so-so eval from the residency program director (nothing negative, but very short), but she had minimal contact with me during the rotation. the eval was based entirely on my experiences with the residents, all of whom i got along well with. do you only get interviewed at a program if you blew them away during the rotation? coincidentally, i have a great step 1 and will likely be AOA, but won't have any other ophtho rotation grades on my transcript.

Just apply broadly and cross your fingers. :thumbup:

Being AOA and having a "great" step 1 score, you should get many interviews assuming no obvious "red flags" on your app. But still apply broadly, as it never hurts to apply to a lot of programs. After that, the rest of the app(LORs, research, Evals from 3rd/4th yr etc) and your personality during the interview will determine the rest.