Ophtho stereotypes

Started by Eye-eye
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eye-eye

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For a more lighthearted thread, I was wondering what stereotypes within the medical community people may have noticed toward ophtho. We've all heard the silly stereotypes for ortho or OB, and many more, but I feel like I've only heard maybe one or two for ophtho, and I'm curious what people may have encountered, whether in a serious capacity or (hopefully more likely) a joking one. Thanks!
 
A bit on the spectrum re: the eye.

Also that ophthos are lifestyle-oriented chillers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Outside of ophthalmology: I think that we're thought of as myopic nerds who are fascinated by some small, "useless" organ; glorified optometrists; people who can't handle "real" surgery; introverts.

Within ophthalmology: Within anterior segment, there seem to be two main camps (to me, anyway): 1) the academicians and the private guys who are mainly interested in "true" pathology, and 2) the flashy, type A, premium IOL/refractive guys.
 
Outside of ophthalmology: I think that we're thought of as myopic nerds who are fascinated by some small, "useless" organ; glorified optometrists; people who can't handle "real" surgery; introverts.

Within ophthalmology: Within anterior segment, there seem to be two main camps (to me, anyway): 1) the academicians and the private guys who are mainly interested in "true" pathology, and 2) the flashy, type A, premium IOL/refractive guys.

What about retina, then?
 
stereotype only, not really true.....

One of the specialities of dentistry. Ophthalmology = eye dentist. Gastroenterology = a s s dentist
 
I definitely try to make my notes (at least assessment and plan portion) understandable and minimize abbreviations/acronyms when I do inpatient consults. My internal medicine friends often ask me to interpret ophtho notes for them, and sometimes even I have trouble understanding some strings of letters.