Quantcast

opinion for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colliea21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I've recently decided I definitively wanted to become a physician (after giving it careful thought). However,before deciding this I was going to pursue a PhD after my mass transfer professor let me know he thought I had great potential (and coming from him:numerous NSF career awards, lots of research funds, etc.) to be a PhD. Anyhow, I barely have research experience even though I'm in my junior year (I am still not graduating yet, I'm taking a year longer to fulfill md requirements so basically it's like i'm in sophomore year). This semester I am doing research for the first time and I soo love it. In the long run I want to do research that is related to my MD specialty so I can apply my findings to better people's lives.
I have read here that the most important thing adcoms look in MD/PhD candidates is a LOT of research. How can I be a competitive candidate without much of that.

Add info:

-Chemical Engineering major with a minor in bioprocess engineering and biotechnology.
-will spend my summer in a university in US (I'm from PR) doing research.
-Expect to do research every single semester until I finally graduate.

anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you've started research now and you plan to be in school for two more years after this one ends, I'd say you have enough research. That's three years of research year-round which is more than I have/had.

I've recently decided I definitively wanted to become a physician (after giving it careful thought). However,before deciding this I was going to pursue a PhD after my mass transfer professor let me know he thought I had great potential (and coming from him:numerous NSF career awards, lots of research funds, etc.) to be a PhD. Anyhow, I barely have research experience even though I'm in my junior year (I am still not graduating yet, I'm taking a year longer to fulfill md requirements so basically it's like i'm in sophomore year). This semester I am doing research for the first time and I soo love it. In the long run I want to do research that is related to my MD specialty so I can apply my findings to better people's lives.
I have read here that the most important thing adcoms look in MD/PhD candidates is a LOT of research. How can I be a competitive candidate without much of that.

Add info:

-Chemical Engineering major with a minor in bioprocess engineering and biotechnology.
-will spend my summer in a university in US (I'm from PR) doing research.
-Expect to do research every single semester until I finally graduate.