colliea21

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've recently decided I definitively wanted to become a physician (after giving it careful thought). However,before deciding this I was going to pursue a PhD after my mass transfer professor let me know he thought I had great potential (and coming from him:numerous NSF career awards, lots of research funds, etc.) to be a PhD. Anyhow, I barely have research experience even though I'm in my junior year (I am still not graduating yet, I'm taking a year longer to fulfill md requirements so basically it's like i'm in sophomore year). This semester I am doing research for the first time and I soo love it. In the long run I want to do research that is related to my MD specialty so I can apply my findings to better people's lives.
I have read here that the most important thing adcoms look in MD/PhD candidates is a LOT of research. How can I be a competitive candidate without much of that.

Add info:

-Chemical Engineering major with a minor in bioprocess engineering and biotechnology.
-will spend my summer in a university in US (I'm from PR) doing research.
-Expect to do research every single semester until I finally graduate.

anka24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you've started research now and you plan to be in school for two more years after this one ends, I'd say you have enough research. That's three years of research year-round which is more than I have/had.

I've recently decided I definitively wanted to become a physician (after giving it careful thought). However,before deciding this I was going to pursue a PhD after my mass transfer professor let me know he thought I had great potential (and coming from him:numerous NSF career awards, lots of research funds, etc.) to be a PhD. Anyhow, I barely have research experience even though I'm in my junior year (I am still not graduating yet, I'm taking a year longer to fulfill md requirements so basically it's like i'm in sophomore year). This semester I am doing research for the first time and I soo love it. In the long run I want to do research that is related to my MD specialty so I can apply my findings to better people's lives.
I have read here that the most important thing adcoms look in MD/PhD candidates is a LOT of research. How can I be a competitive candidate without much of that.

Add info:

-Chemical Engineering major with a minor in bioprocess engineering and biotechnology.
-will spend my summer in a university in US (I'm from PR) doing research.
-Expect to do research every single semester until I finally graduate.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.