Opinion on EMR for pediatrics

Started by ssminnow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ssminnow

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I have a question for the current pediatrics residents/attendings/private docs and their opinions on EMR.

I know most of us use whichever EMR is implemented in the hospital, but I wanted to know which EMR you would like to see in your private practice as a pediatrician. I know the AAP has a page on EMR reviews, but I wanted some personal input and opinions on the matter.

Thanks for looking!
 
Hello everyone, I have a question for the current pediatrics residents/attendings/private docs and their opinions on EMR.

I know most of us use whichever EMR is implemented in the hospital, but I wanted to know which EMR you would like to see in your private practice as a pediatrician. I know the AAP has a page on EMR reviews, but I wanted some personal input and opinions on the matter.

Thanks for looking!

I've used Epic/Healthconnect both at my medschool and now in residency, and maybe it's just the fact that with Kaiser everything is always updated and filled in, including a fabulous growth chart and immunization due schedule, but I like it a lot for what we do both inpatient and outpatient. I've also used 2-3 other EMRs and the only other one that was appealing in its Windows-box simplicity was CPRS, used by the VA.
 
Never personally used Epic but heard great things about it. I've used Sunrise, HealthPoint and MediTech and they're all crap. CPRS is great in terms of having everything about your patient as long as they are seen by a VA doc. In fact, I think the idea of having an "universal" EMR that follows the patient is long overdue. Anyway, that's another topic of discussion.
 
Plus one for EPIC. Of the systems I've used, it's far and away the easiest and had the most customizations for peds specific items (birth history, growth charts, immunization records, etc.). At least in my city, more than half of hospitals have adopted it, and medical record sharing actually works pretty well from within the system, so I can access outside hospital, Kaiser, and some private office medical records as I admit a patient.