Opinion on no autorefractor/NCT

Started by Gigan988
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gigan988

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is you O.D.s' opinion on the prospect of a practice which contains no autorefractor (only a lensometer and ret) and no NCT (only Goldmann/tonopen or something of the like).
 
What is you O.D.s' opinion on the prospect of a practice which contains no autorefractor (only a lensometer and ret) and no NCT (only Goldmann/tonopen or something of the like).

autorefractor is a luxury, and has its limits. I don't like NCT, and would not feel comfortable managing glaucoma with it.
 
My first year of practice I worked 2 days a week at a practice that didn't have an autorefractor or a NCT. It forced me to be really good with my retinoscope. I agree with the above poster who says those items are luxury items and they are not needed. They are nice, but not a necessity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agree with KHE. Goldman and retinoscopy is time consuming to do on everyone. I'll use Goldman on glaucoma suspects, confirmed glaucoma patients, and high NCT IOP's. I'll ret most kids, but few adults.