Opinion on physical therapist assistants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurtleDO2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they serve a purpose? How much do they earn? Would you guys hire these people? Better to work in a office or for a hospital? I know someone pursuing this and they claim they will make 90k in Oregon. I could barely keep myself from laughing at that claim but I also wanted to get the people who are above them their opinion before I try to set this person straight. Also they are achieving this thru carrington college, formerly apollo college. Where would these people compare to those achieving this thru a more formal university setting?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they serve a purpose? How much do they earn? Would you guys hire these people? Better to work in a office or for a hospital? I know someone pursuing this and they claim they will make 90k in Oregon. I could barely keep myself from laughing at that claim but I also wanted to get the people who are above them their opinion before I try to set this person straight. Also they are achieving this thru carrington college, formerly apollo college. Where would these people compare to those achieving this thru a more formal university setting?
Thanks.

In the clinical setting they masquerade as PT's. Educationally they are severely limited in training with questionable delivery methods. There is no prerequisite coursework to demonstrate they are a high quality person prior to PTA school. The reason PTA's get hired is purely economical and there is no way a PTA would make 90k per year unless they're working two full time jobs permanently, or potentially as a traveler all year long without any vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the clinical setting they masquerade as PT's. Educationally they are severely limited in training with questionable delivery methods. There is no prerequisite coursework to demonstrate they are a high quality person prior to PTA school. The reason PTA's get hired is purely economical and there is no way a PTA would make 90k per year unless they're working two full time jobs permanently, or potentially as a traveler all year long without any vacation.

I disagree with you there. I originally was going to go for PTA.. it is actually a very difficult program and you learn a lot of the same info as DPT but in less time and maybe not quite as in depth. It is actually pretty competitive to get into a PTA program and they do have a list of about 8 pre-req classes for the schools around me that include A & P I and II and you can't get any grades below a B-. Some schools I saw had around 300 applicants and they only let in 40 to the program. They are well trained in PT techniques and must take a final test to be licensed after graduation, but are not authorized to do evaluations like a regular PT. But as far as the salary, I believe it typically ranges from 35-65k depending on experience and location. I heard it is possible to make around 90k as a traveling PTA with good experience and the right employer. As a PTA right out of school I would expect around 40k in my area.

Five-O,
SMH. It is very disconcerting to here a practicing PT not support other members of the physical therapy profession. I'm sorry you basically think of PTA's as trash. As a DPT student, I do see major differences in curriculum, but then again, the PTA is a 2-year degree with a focus on treatment. We (PTA's) are not required to take difficult foundational courses as seen in PT curriculum because we don't need it for our job (we do not diagnose, perform evals, ect.). But, we do believe in evidence-based practice, are capable of critically thinking, and ultimately carry out the POC that our PT's create. I don't masquerade as a PT, I do my job, within my scope.

I understand you are entitled to your opinion, but wow.
I hope when I do finish the DPT program and start practicing, I never make the people I supervise feel like crap because they don't have the education or job title that I do.

I disagree with you there. I originally was going to go for PTA.. it is actually a very difficult program and you learn a lot of the same info as DPT but in less time and maybe not quite as in depth. It is actually pretty competitive to get into a PTA program and they do have a list of about 8 pre-req classes for the schools around me that include A & P I and II and you can't get any grades below a B-. Some schools I saw had around 300 applicants and they only let in 40 to the program. They are well trained in PT techniques and must take a final test to be licensed after graduation, but are not authorized to do evaluations like a regular PT. But as far as the salary, I believe it typically ranges from 35-65k depending on experience and location. I heard it is possible to make around 90k as a traveling PTA with good experience and the right employer. As a PTA right out of school I would expect around 40k in my area.

You learn a lot of the same info a PT does, and "maybe not quite as in depth?" PTA school is not even close to PT school nowadays, face the facts. I graduated with a combo of about 300 credits between undergrad (human bio) and PT school. How much is PTA school? 60 credits?

Here's my 2 cents:

Do they serve a purpose? Yep. They basically carry out the established plan of care under the PT.

How much do they earn? Less than a PT, but still pretty good. I agree with one of the other posters, in that to achieve 90K+ you would need to work your butt off, or take on some admin/business responsibility, or additional jobs.

Would you guys hire these people? Sure. I think some people assume they're unknowledgeable, and basically just a notch up on the totem pole from a rehab aide. In reality there are many very experienced and skilled PTA's. Think of this: there are plenty of PTA programs that are ~3 years. They're are still many PT's practicing that only received a bachelors (many years ago). That's not much of a difference education-wise. In fact, there has been talk about making PTA programs into a bachelor program. Part of the reason they won't (at least yet) is that then there would be practicing PT's with the same number of educational years as PTA's. The real question is, how does experience play into things? Is a seasoned PTA with years of experience better than a new PT grad? It wouldn't surprise me if they were. However, the responsibility for the patient lies on the shoulders of the PT and it is essential that both the PTA and PT operate within their scope of practice.

I think the PT role will become very important. With the DPT many people feel a higher salary is warranted. Heck, I agree. However, this will come at a price. I would venture that in order to cut cost, PT's will eventually assume a more prescriptive role. Performing mostly evals and such, while the treatment is performed by the PTA to a greater degree. It's more cost effective for a PTA to perform a treatment than a PT, and many clinic's already operate in this manner.

Better to work in a office or for a hospital? If better means $, a SNF, or being a traveler is likely the best bet. This question really depends on what the PTA wants out of the career/setting.

I can't comment on education at a college vs a state school.

You learn a lot of the same info a PT does, and "maybe not quite as in depth?" PTA school is not even close to PT school nowadays, face the facts. I graduated with a combo of about 300 credits between undergrad (human bio) and PT school. How much is PTA school? 60 credits?

Fair enough.. there is a lot more school involved. Sure you may have majored in human bio and that is helpful for PT, but you can have any bachelors degree that is non-related such as business and still get into PT schools with the right pre-reqs. But from what I hear PTA school focuses strictly on what they need to learn with little "fluff", so 2+ years straight with no summer breaks can provide quite a bit of education for their role. I'm not saying they are as educated as a regular PT in a doctorate/masters program, but they learn everything they need in order to do their job as a PTA and there is no reason you should be bashing them. There can be good and bad PTA's just like there can be good and bad PT's. I'm sure there are PTA's who have years experience who could teach a DPT student fresh out of school many things that school won't teach you.

Thanks.

Yes, they serve a purpose. Alleviate strain placed on a PT from the number of patients they are treating, save money by hiring PTAs instead of PTs (with PTs overseeing PTAs), etc. They earn about half that of a PT. As the other poster said "better" is subjective; depends on what is viewed as "better". Most PTA programs that I know of are offered at community or junior colleges, and not at universities. So, I could not comment on any differences or similarities between the two.

@8MoreReps
I don't understand your "fluff" statement. DPT school, at least mine, does not include "fluff". The value of the classes are undeniable. Even though at first many don't see it (especially critics of the DPT curriculum and those who are not in PT school), the vast majority of students realize the value of each and every class by the time they enter the professional world.

However, I will say that they do need to learn what they need to to peform their jobs well, and that they are a valuable part of the rehab team.

You said that "[they] learn a lot of the same info as DPT but in less time and maybe not quite as in depth." I will say that they do not learn a lot of things as in depth as PT students do. I cannot imagine 60+ hours will fit a DPT programs typical 100+ hours.

Yes, they serve a purpose. Alleviate strain placed on a PT from the number of patients they are treating, save money by hiring PTAs instead of PTs (with PTs overseeing PTAs), etc. They earn about half that of a PT. As the other poster said "better" is subjective; depends on what is viewed as "better". Most PTA programs that I know of are offered at community or junior colleges, and not at universities. So, I could not comment on any differences or similarities between the two.

@8MoreReps
I don't understand your "fluff" statement. DPT school, at least mine, does not include "fluff". The value of the classes are undeniable. Even though at first many don't see it (especially critics of the DPT curriculum and those who are not in PT school), the vast majority of students realize the value of each and every class by the time they enter the professional world.

However, I will say that they do need to learn what they need to to peform their jobs well, and that they are a valuable part of the rehab team.

You said that "[they] learn a lot of the same info as DPT but in less time and maybe not quite as in depth." I will say that they do not learn a lot of things as in depth as PT students do. I cannot imagine 60+ hours will fit a DPT programs typical 100+ hours.

The "fluff" was meant toward the fact that a PTA dives right into the program, whereas a DPT student has to get a 4 year bachelors degree which may or may not be related to PT. IMO a bachelors degree does contain some "fluff" such as electives and other classes taken that have nothing to do with your career or major.

That second part I agree a DPT does learn a lot more in school than a PTA, but I didn't quite get that out right at all.

The "fluff" was meant toward the fact that a PTA dives right into the program, whereas a DPT student has to get a 4 year bachelors degree which may or may not be related to PT. IMO a bachelors degree does contain some "fluff" such as electives and other classes taken that have nothing to do with your career or major.

That second part I agree a DPT does learn a lot more in school than a PTA, but I didn't quite get that out right at all.

Haha, yes. One's Bachelor's degree does contain "fluff", but I assumed you were talking about the DPT program. Little miscommunication, I guess. But the reason for the bachelor's degree (just as med students needed to have a BS/BS/whatever in order to have been accepted) is to prepare somewhat for graduate level work.

It is variable by state, since state law dictates practice of PTs and PTAs (since I believe all PTAs are licensed by the state in which they practice, but there may be a few hold states that do not require a license.).
PTAs implement a plan of care developed by a PT. PTAs can work in any setting, and do. There are some Medicaid limitations in some states for reimbursing PTAs, but again that is reimbursement only which is a completely separate entity from scope of practice issues.
The PT is ultimately responsible for the patient since the PT is the one that developed the plan of care. For example, if a PTA is brought before the State Board for a practice issue, the PT who is supervising the patient's care would also be brought before the Board for the same issue.
PTA education differs from PT education because these are 2 different professions. A ther ex course in a PTA program is going to be pretty similar to PT in terms of content and 'rigorousness,' but a PTA program would not have a course in evaluation techniques (tests and measures) since that is not part of their scope of practice.
I have not worked much with PTAs, but amongst those I have, there are some good ones, and some not so good. Just like I have worked with good and not so good PTs, OTs, MDs, RNs, etc, etc.....Those who are 'good' PTA certainly invaluably participate with collaborative care to maximize patient outcomes.
As a final point, as a CI, I require the same standard for PTA students for interventions as I do for PT students. There is no difference for me with interventions.
PTAs are investigating a BS. I think it matches their education, much like PT education was changed from certificate and BS to match the education received.
Here is something else interesting. A CAPTE report said in the next couple of years there are 5-6 schools that are exploring starting a PT program, while there are over 100 schools looking at starting PTA programs. I forget the final numbers because I read the report last year, but it was many-fold PTA vs PT.

Last edited:
They're are still many PT's practicing that only received a bachelors (many years ago).

The last BS PT program awarded their last degree in 2002, so not all that long ago. Additionally, with a little work and fortitude, a PT from a Uni out of the US can get licensed to practice in any state. Therefore, there will be PTs with a BS practicing for a long time to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is variable by state, since state law dictates practice of PTs and PTAs (since I believe all PTAs are licensed by the state in which they practice, but there may be a few hold states that do not require a license.).
PTAs implement a plan of care developed by a PT. PTAs can work in any setting, and do. There are some Medicaid limitations in some states for reimbursing PTAs, but again that is reimbursement only which is a completely separate entity from scope of practice issues.
The PT is ultimately responsible for the patient since the PT is the one that developed the plan of care. For example, if a PTA is brought before the State Board for a practice issue, the PT who is supervising the patient's care would also be brought before the Board for the same issue.
PTA education differs from PT education because these are 2 different professions. A ther ex course in a PTA program is going to be pretty similar to PT in terms of content and 'rigorousness,' but a PTA program would not have a course in evaluation techniques (tests and measures) since that is not part of their scope of practice.
I have not worked much with PTAs, but amongst those I have, there are some good ones, and some not so good. Just like I have worked with good and not so good PTs, OTs, MDs, RNs, etc, etc.....Those who are 'good' PTA certainly invaluably participate with collaborative care to maximize patient outcomes.
As a final point, as a CI, I require the same standard for PTA students for interventions as I do for PT students. There is no difference for me with interventions.
PTAs are investigating a BS. I think it matches their education, much like PT education was changed from certificate and BS to match the education received.
Here is something else interesting. A CAPTE report said in the next couple of years there are 5-6 schools that are exploring starting a PT program, while there are over 100 schools looking at starting PTA programs. I forget the final numbers because I read the report last year, but it was many-fold PTA vs PT.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

@8MoreReps

Logical thoughts, nice to see.

The last BS PT program awarded their last degree in 2002, so not all that long ago. Additionally, with a little work and fortitude, a PT from a Uni out of the US can get licensed to practice in any state. Therefore, there will be PTs with a BS practicing for a long time to come.

I think it will become increasingly difficult for a foreign trained PT to come to the US and practice with a bachelor's level education.

No PTA course is as rigorous as PT coursework as it is today, get over it. How many PhD level professors are there teaching PTA programs?

Schools must lower standards relative to the student group, thus the level of instruction couldn't possibly be as good in a PTA program as it is in PT school.

Why don't you go over to the Medical school forums and argue that PA school has just as much rigorousness as medical school, see how much agreement you get.

If you're inquiring about PTA's because you're considering a program, you need to research APTA's RC3-11. There are some who believe the PTA should be done away with (mostly in an effort to cut costs by hiring aides or techs). Just FYI.

I am not considering a program at all. I have a family member currently attending apollo college/carrington college to achieve the PTA. So far from what I can gleam, courses consist of plenty of fluff and useless courses. Some are below
College math, English, Communications, Sociology, Physics, General Psyc, pathophys, data collect, open lab. When it finally hits things that are relevant it probably amounts to about 5 months of class relevant topics and then 5 months of working in some PT practice where hopefully they are being taught something.

PTisfun- I hope one course isn't the only thing separateing you from a PTA. I hope you are over estimating a PTA and underestimating your education.

I just don't understand how this position-PTA is really needed at all. If a PT identifies the plan which is probably mostly going to consist of doing some fairly simple exercises I think the motivated high school student, someone pursuing physical therapy while in college, or the physical therapy aide can certainly monitor a person performing said exercises. I can only speak from my experience and physical therapists I have talked to. I chose to go see a PT after a simple grade I MCL strain once, he recommended an alternative brace, did some electrical stim therapy and some knee stabilization exercises. Next appt and the rest of my 5 appts were with a person in college pursuing PT. Nothing in my opinion that needed a special certicificate or anything beyond what a person would learn simply by being told what to do my someone who knows what they are doing.
I have asked some PT about PTAs and they bascially made the comment that they could get college students wanting to be a PT needing to get some experience in PT before starting school to help their resume, students in the PTA program who need to do their clinical work, and kinesiology majors all for basically free compared to hiring a PTA and get basically the same results.

For those saying 90K is possible, really? Those saying work two jobs, how? PT is really a comfortable realtive M-F during mostly normal business hours. So squeezing 100+hrs of work into a week seems pretty unachieveable. It is not like a PT office or department in the hospital is open 18hrs a day. 90,000/25 hr/52 wks would take 70 hrs a week. Also how many pts does a PTA see at one time? Probably can juggle 1-2 maybe at the same time? So it would be hard I think for a person to hit much higher than 30 an hour with the reimbursement rates, overhead, etc. Traveling nurses barely break 100k. Nurses are forever in greater need and demand. I had never heard of PTA until very recently, so can't really be in that much of a need. Especially with what Bones26 is saying.

As far a bunch of PTA programs being started at schools, I would assume this has more to due with being easy to acheive accredidation for it combined with people wanting to do it because it is considered in the medical field so it must be safe forever in term of enployment as well as not the difficult in terms of length, actual expectations of what you do, work setting, etc as other careers in medical field.

Thanks for all the great input, I appreciate it and will try to educate my family member.

If you are a PTA, great congrats for you. By being on this forum which is for PTs or possible pre-PTs you are either going for PT for various reasons that makes it better than a PTA or just trolling to try to talk up your certicificate.

Attachments

• PTA Schedule Reader Friendly 2 COHORT 9 26 11.pdf
    30.3 KB · Views: 65
A CAPTE report said in the next couple of years there are 5-6 schools that are exploring starting a PT program, while there are over 100 schools looking at starting PTA programs. I forget the final numbers because I read the report last year, but it was many-fold PTA vs PT.

Holy crap. Inundation much?

I have asked some PT about PTAs and they bascially made the comment that they could get college students wanting to be a PT needing to get some experience in PT before starting school to help their resume, students in the PTA program who need to do their clinical work, and kinesiology majors all for basically free compared to hiring a PTA and get basically the same results.

I worked in an out-patient ortho clinic while I was completing my PT school prereqs. Our clinic's manager only hired PT-hopeful students like me because:

he could pay us $11/hr (we did receive benefits, which was nice)
he believed that people trying to get into PT school were more motivated and easier to train than PTA's or students trying to get into PA or nursing school. (I'm not knocking any of these groups...he just believed we were more invested and excited about physical therapy).

Some of the professors at my school warn that abolishing the PTA will lower the esteem/prestige of PT as a profession. I'm not sure if I agree with that. I haven't seen enough PTA's in action to form a solid opinion of their worth and/or value. I only know what my responsibilities entailed at my specific clinic. Maybe more knowledge and skill is required in some facilities, but I felt perfectly capable and confident in performing my duties as a tech. The PTA course schedule is about what I'd expect seeing as it's an associate's degree. I expected more PT-related courses, but maybe that's normal across schools.

No PTA course is as rigorous as PT coursework as it is today, get over it. How many PhD level professors are there teaching PTA programs?

Schools must lower standards relative to the student group, thus the level of instruction couldn't possibly be as good in a PTA program as it is in PT school.

Why don't you go over to the Medical school forums and argue that PA school has just as much rigorousness as medical school, see how much agreement you get.

Oh, calm down, five-0, I was only applauding the other poster for giving PTA's a little credit for a dang therex class, not the curriculum as a whole. Anyway, as I eluded to in my previous post, PT school is much more difficult than PTA school, but I expected that going into the program, so I'm not contesting what you're saying about the curriculum. But, having also been through a PTA program, I am fortunate to be able to recognize the value of a PTA as part of the rehab team.

If you are a PTA, great congrats for you. By being on this forum which is for PTs or possible pre-PTs you are either going for PT for various reasons that makes it better than a PTA or just trolling to try to talk up your certicificate.

I assume you're referring to me? I am in fact, a DPT student, and yes I am doing this because PT's are awesome. Being a PTA does suck sometimes, especially when we go to work, doing something we enjoy, making a decent paycheck, feeling great that we may have improved a patient's quality of life only to find out (on this forum, no less) that we'rethought of as worthless and expendable. And the comment about "talking up your certificate"? Really? You seem like a real decent, kind, individual. That's awesome that you added that snarky comment at the end, you really put us "trolling" PTA's in our place!

PTisfun- I hope one course isn't the only thing separateing you from a PTA. I hope you are over estimating a PTA and underestimating your education.[/COLOR]

Of course not. It was merely illustrative about a large part of a PT and PTA scope of practice. As a PT with over 20 years experience, a past lecturer in a PTA program, and a current PT faculty member with a PhD, I think I have the necessary credentials and experience for my observation.

Five0 - until States change their law and then practice act, foreign PTs can continue to get licensed. Now immigration may be something else entirely. I was speaking the Pres of the state Board where I practice, and he was telling me it is pretty easy to get licensed in my state without a CAPTE accredited degree. Lots of paperwork, boards, and maybe a class or 2 or some supervised work, but nothing that would really stop people if they had the desire to work in the US.

Although I have not seen many, the PTAs I have seen have been extremely competent clinicians! The rigor of training, just like DPTs, may vary from program to program! This can be probably be stated across the board for health care professionals.

Although I have not seen many, the PTAs I have seen have been extremely competent clinicians! The rigor of training, just like DPTs, may vary from program to program! This can be probably be stated across the board for health care professionals.

No offense but I don't think you're in a position to make a judgement about competency among PTA's. Aren't you a first year PT student? Can I ask you what in the world you base "extremely competent clinicians" on?

, I have always respected PTAs but the education gap is huge IMO. I think there should be a much larger pay discrepancy between the two. I think APTA is really screwing PTs over with this transition to the DPT and as such, the PTA's have a much better on return on investment for their education. I'm afraid PT's and OT's will suffer as a result of PTA's being billed the same and cheaper to employ.

But what do I know, I start school this summer :)

No offense but I don't think you're in a position to make a judgement about competency among PTA's. Aren't you a first year PT student? Can I ask you what in the world you base "extremely competent clinicians" on?

I have to agree with the Ox here. I have seen many PTA's that I feel, were just as, or slightly more competent than some of the PT's I saw. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to tell who's a better therapist, c'mon now. There the one's with the patients that progress above average. They know how to motivate others. They know how to take the tougher dx's, and without injuring themselves. They do con-ed that will help them grow as a therapist, and don't just go somewhere sunny. They work as a team, and are current with the research. The definition of competent varies a lot, and this is very subjective. Of course, there are many incompetent PTA's as well.

My point is that therapist competency lies on a continuum, with a multitude of contributors. This is true for both PT's and PTA's alike. To say PTA's in general are incompetent, or to say they're all great would be plain foolish.

PTisFun, thanks for the clarification. 2002 isn't even that long ago to get a bachelors! Shows how fast required education is growing. :)

completely agree with the poster above ^. I shadowed a PTA for some of my observation hours and it was like shadowing an actual pt in terms of what they did with the patients (I did this in an acute care setting). Just because you obtained a DPT doesn't meant you are a competent clinician or a good clinician. There are many bad doctors out there, but they all have MDs. If a nurse or PA is better at treating the patient, are you gonna say that the doctor is a better doctor than the nurse is a nurse just because the doctor has an MD? (sorry taht was a confusing sentence). competency will depend on the individual. PTAs, while the course work might not be as rigorous, can become just as competent as PTs in a clinical setting within the scope of their practice. PTAs might even be more able in a clinical setting than a newly graduated DPT student just because they have experience in the field. So to generalize all PTAs as being less and incompetent compared to DPTs simply based on their educational background is ridiculous and an invalid point.

In the state of florida such as Boca Raton, there are many senior citizens who have medicare. Medicare dictates that the patient must been seen by a licensed PT or PTA for the units charged in treatment. If a PT tech or aide assumes the role in treatment then it would be unlawful to bill medicare for the service. Although there is a substantial amount of buisness and revenue generated from medicare, I would like to change this factor and include more private pay with direct access.

Of course there is variance in the abilities/competencies of individuals working within the same profession. I don’t think anyone is actually intending to suggest "all PTAs" or "all PTs" are at this or that specific, uniform level of competency. I'd expect a positive correlation between one's engagement with their profession (including continuing ed. and keeping up with current research) and the quality of their knowledge/patient outcomes.

I wonder to what extent a PTA could actually take advantage of such extracurricular research though, given the limitations of what they can do. PTAs don’t get to be significantly involved in the process of doing evaluations/development of treatment plans. That’s why DPT programs have substantially more “meat” to them than a PTA program. In addition, it’s far more vital to have extra and more in-depth education if you’re making those kinds of decisions on a regular basis vs. assisting in carrying out these plans.

Hahahaha. Fair enough! I'll bite. I should back pedal and agree that my expertise in clinician rating is something that is probably very subjective, and if an such an expertise did exist then I don't know how one would go about acquiring it. I hope you can use that as your Tempurpedic pillow and sleep amazingly tonight!

On the other hand, I would be remiss if I didn't ask why the rancor. Without question there are clinicians who are great, poor, and many are somewhere in between. That goes for Joe the dentist, Karen the neurosurgoen and Miguel the DPT. Your bashing on ALL PTAs is what many physicians and other healthcare professionals are doing to DPTs. The physiatrists, neurologist, and Orthopedic surgeons who lobby against a physical therapist practicing autonomously are doing the same thing you are doing to PTAs. Is the rigor of PTA school the same as top level DPT programs? Probably not. That said, unless you or I have gone through that process I see no reason how we could objectively assess such a thing.

This is the exact attitude one of my professors has (very negative towards assistants and aids) and I find it appalling. One of my best friends in my program is a PTA and as far as her clinical skills, she is eons ahead of those of us with no prior clinical experience. The reason she came back for her DPT was because she wanted to know WHY she was doing the therapies she was doing instead of just being directed to do so from her boss.

PTAs are not idiots; do they have as much training as a DPT? Of course not, but they are not *****s either.

What a disappointing thread.

PTAs are not idiots; do they have as much training as a DPT? Of course not, but they are not *****s either.

What a disappointing thread.

I completely agree: it is very disappointing. It's one thing to talk about the role of PTs versus PTAs. It's another to completely blast an entire subset of the medical community, by asking "people above them" of their merits or questioning whether PTA programs attract "high quality people."

It's a mistake to forget that PTAs or aides or front office staff are people. Simply because we have (or will have) terminal degrees in a certain field doesn't make us inherently better than anyone else.

This mindset is something that disappointed me while working in corporate America. It startled me to see it in physical therapy clinics. Treat your co-workers with respect and it will come back to you.

Before people continue to praise the PTA please look at the posted class schedule I have above as a PDF. So far only three views. I look at those classes and I see maybe 5 months of relevant instruction. 5 months of shadowing. Does that really warrant a comparison to the PT curriculum. I will admit I know nothing about it and can only comment about PT students I have seen in the hospital and my one trip to a PT office for some care and follow up. No body has said anything about the quality of people that chose to attend PTA vs something else so don't turn this into something it is not.
With the way people post their lame statistics under their names I think there are a lot of future PT students that think a little too highly of themselves.

APTA's RC3-11. Maybe you guys should read it. Sounds like the PT board feels the same way some people do on this board, PTAs shouldn't be the only person a PT can hire for assistance because guess what- PTA currciulum isn't that special and the work required really isn't that complicated.

markelmarcel- As for understanding why you are doing treatments- please explain these difficult treatments that are being done. In the hospital when orders are for PT, it is basically because we want to make sure the patient gets out of bed and walks, made to do exercises, or to set them up with a walker or cane, or an excuse to squeeze a few more days out of the insurance to allow the patient to continue to be monitored in the hospital before discharging them.

TheOx777 - Without going though PTA school I would hope that PT school is more difficult/more is taught. I also don't have to climb Everest or Mt Rainer to say that Everest is probably tougher to climb than Mt Rainer.

The oddest thing I have come across this past week inolving PT were commericals on TV advertising the use of an ultrasound while performing PT. I wonder what clinical significance a ultrasound provides a PT using it on a patient as well as what they are able to charge for using such a device.

Overall it seems that there are people who agree that PTA role is being questioned as well as those who seem that asking this question is hurting people's feelings and somehow from their role as a simple student in PT school, college, or below possibly they thought a PTA was equal to a PT in terms of clinical skills. Well I ask other than clinical skills what else does a PT need or have or what else matters in the whole scheme of things when evaluating a PTA vs a PT other than clinical skills? It sounds like some people are trying to say that clinically a PTA=PT, well if so what other skills does a PT have that makes them more qualified?

Turtle:

A couple things.
1. People who post their stats in their signature don't necessarily "think too high" of themselves. A lot of us post in the pre-pt forum as well and to save someone from asking "what are your stats" every time we give advice, it's much easier to have it posted underneath. It also saves them the time from digging the GPA/GRE/Acceptance sticky, if you even posted in that thread.
2. As for the ultrasound, i'm not quite sure, but when I shadowed at my school (a college), the PT would apply some topical, blue-ish cream and then use an ultrasound/ultrasound-like machine, set at a certain voltage. He said it helps push the medication in the cream through the skin or something.
3. People aren't all too worried about you hurting other pple's feelings. It's the generalization that you have been making that people are not happy with. You are basing your generalizations on the fact that the PTA curriculum is not as intense or w/e and using that to not only question their clinical skills but their character (I quote "No body has said anything about the quality of people that chose to attend PTA vs something else so don't turn this into something it is not"). Like I said before, PTAs with a lot of experience prob know quite a bit and if you shadowed one, you'd know. Just because someone has an MD doens't make them better htan someone who is a PA or a nurse. The degree doesn't mean you are a better clinician, it means you had a more intense curriculum and education background/training, competency is up to the individual. I know that this is a dumb example, but I love this show: On scrubs' first episode JD, who was a resident (and had finished med school, therefore having an MD) couldn't even place an IV on a patient or really do much for his patients the 3 days he was there. Carla, the nurse, who had be working at the hospital for a long time, was the one that came and did everything for him (along with other nurses). My point is, you can't just talk down to PTAs just for their degree (which is the sense that everyone else on this forum is getting) because the DPT doesn't guarantee competence.

As for your very last question, PTs are taught to evaluate/diagnose whereas PTAs are not I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). PTs also might have a more extensive knowledge on the subject, which means they know which exercises will achieve the best possible outcome for their patient. They also have the liability aspect that they need to be responsible for. But if you think about it, PT school's curriculum isn't that long either. I mean most places are doing like what 40 weeks of clinical total? Which is almost a full year. So since most places graduate in 3-ish years, then that means the average amount of classroom time is only a little over 2 years. anyway, I'm not gonna pretend i know much, if anything, since i haven't even started attending PT school, but I think that you are entitled to your opinion, it's just that sounding condescending towards PTA is kind of ridiculous. I mean the majority of doctors (i would hope not) don't talk about how they think nurses or PAs are useless.

Last edited:
I know someone pursuing this and they claim they will make 90k in Oregon. I could barely keep myself from laughing at that claim but I also wanted to get the people who are above them their opinion before I try to set this person straight.

As a side note, I'm curious to what extent this entire line of questioning and general critique of PTAs and/or PTA curriculum is motivated by the personal situation revealed above (setting someone straight).

That aside, I'm not comfortable making at-a-glance criticisms toward an entire profession. Frankly, that sort of generalizing sounds incredibly naive. Citing an anecdotal example of a PTA course curriculum you believe "isn't that special" doesn't prove anything. Considering PTAs do not have the same level of legal liability and evaluation responsibilities, why would their education need to be as lengthy or as in-depth as a DPT's?

Before people continue to praise the PTA please look at the posted class schedule I have above as a PDF. So far only three views. I look at those classes and I see maybe 5 months of relevant instruction. 5 months of shadowing. Does that really warrant a comparison to the PT curriculum. I will admit I know nothing about it and can only comment about PT students I have seen in the hospital and my one trip to a PT office for some care and follow up. No body has said anything about the quality of people that chose to attend PTA vs something else so don't turn this into something it is not.
With the way people post their lame statistics under their names I think there are a lot of future PT students that think a little too highly of themselves.

APTA's RC3-11. Maybe you guys should read it. Sounds like the PT board feels the same way some people do on this board, PTAs shouldn't be the only person a PT can hire for assistance because guess what- PTA currciulum isn't that special and the work required really isn't that complicated.

markelmarcel- As for understanding why you are doing treatments- please explain these difficult treatments that are being done. In the hospital when orders are for PT, it is basically because we want to make sure the patient gets out of bed and walks, made to do exercises, or to set them up with a walker or cane, or an excuse to squeeze a few more days out of the insurance to allow the patient to continue to be monitored in the hospital before discharging them.

TheOx777 - Without going though PTA school I would hope that PT school is more difficult/more is taught. I also don't have to climb Everest or Mt Rainer to say that Everest is probably tougher to climb than Mt Rainer.

The oddest thing I have come across this past week inolving PT were commericals on TV advertising the use of an ultrasound while performing PT. I wonder what clinical significance a ultrasound provides a PT using it on a patient as well as what they are able to charge for using such a device.

Overall it seems that there are people who agree that PTA role is being questioned as well as those who seem that asking this question is hurting people's feelings and somehow from their role as a simple student in PT school, college, or below possibly they thought a PTA was equal to a PT in terms of clinical skills. Well I ask other than clinical skills what else does a PT need or have or what else matters in the whole scheme of things when evaluating a PTA vs a PT other than clinical skills? It sounds like some people are trying to say that clinically a PTA=PT, well if so what other skills does a PT have that makes them more qualified?

My goodness you have such a great understanding of physical therapy. You also spoke about lameness of some of the posters u-grad stats, can you elaborate on that? Maybe you want to talk about lamenesss from the perspective of incompetence demonstrated constantly by medical professionals with regard to conservative management of MSK conditions. Not to mention complete idiocy when it comes to physical therapy referrals, and physical therapy in general.

As for ultrasound, it is mostly useless (especially for what many people use it for), however there is some evidence that is speeds fracture healing in non open, stable, non surgical cases where the fracture site is not deep. I have used it a few times for this purpose.

Last edited:
example PTA curriculum:

http://www.gatewaycc.edu/Programs/PhysicalTherapistAssisting/Degree/

my PT curriculum:

http://www.atsu.edu/ashs/programs/physical_therapy/documents/PTCurriculumOverview.pdf

here is the "fact sheet" for DPT students at my alma mater, I'd like to see a fact sheet from a PTA school to compare u-grad to H.S. since they are equal

http://www.atsu.edu/ashs/programs/physical_therapy/pdfs/fact_sheet.pdf

Here is some classes I took in undergrad, lets compare that to the 6 pre reqs someone mentioned for PTA school

Princ Bio I/II, Anatomy/Phys, Fund Physics I/II, First aid/emergency care, Princ Chem I/II, Scientific cond of the athlete, Bio organic chem, Princ sports phys, Human Phys, Prevention/treatment of athletic injuries, Health psychology, Food and nutritional health, Adulthood and aging, Princ of exercise physiology, Kinesiology, Advanced athletic training.

know someone pursuing this and they claim they will make 90k in Oregon.

Actually, my mom owns a home health agency in the greater Houston area. I know of at least two PTA's who earned close if not over 100k before taxes and benefits (I used to be an administrative assistant doing invoices, payroll, and such). I do know that home health is a very demanding job, and pays quite well (not as many clinicians working in this field, therefore demand is really high). They do put in more hours than the typical amount per week, and they often see patients on Saturdays. But the company loves their work ethic, they work well with the other therapists, an the patients love them. They do serve a purpose, especially when the PT's are too busy evaluating patients right after another, they're the ones carrying out the treatment plan. All the therapists work hard and are so caring! Also, the MD's who refer the patients to us usually don't even see the patient (patient referral is different in all states, direct access or whatnot).

Yes, I'm a first year PT student, who am I to say, right? But I've grown up around the medical field (Mom PT, Dad MD), and from what I've seen, there are always good/bad clinicians in all fields.

p.s. I love physical therapy and promoting good health!

I used to be an administrative assistant doing invoices, payroll, and such.

Please do not let facts get in the way of opinions.
:laugh:

There are competent and incompetent folks everywhere. I have been an engineer for 20+ years, but have come across "mere" technicians who could run circles around me. I have 3 degrees, they have none. Nuff' said...

i've already put in my two cents on this thread... but for what it's worth steve jobs and bill gates never obtained an undergrad degree, but no one would ever dare call them incompetent in the computer/software/whatever field.. ever, not even the ones who have Ph.D.s..... so like i've said before, and plenty of other pple have said, the terminal degree does not automatically bestow upon the clinician complete competency in physical therapy.

In reference to the terminal degree not meaning much argument I offer this-
Next time you need to see a Doctor please go see a Nurse.
Next time you need a surgery, please only have the scrub tech perform the operation.
Next time you need a Rx drug please just have the nurse pick one for you. It really is that easy.:laugh:
From my opinion Nurses knowledge comes from experience mostly versus what they learned in nursing school. Experience that is gained from working under a Doctor that always orders them to do something and gives away the diagnosis. Over time that Nurse sees the same patterns of symptoms and is able to make a reasonable guess to what the diagnosis is and from experience is able to make a reasonable guess to what the medication is. That method works until a "zebra occurs", a problem arises, or when the picture/presentation doesn't match something the nurse has experienced before, or heaven for bid a different disease presents fairly similarly.

I have seen nurses get worried about poor urine output into a foley and call a doctor, doctor says check the line, it could be kinked or blocked, nurse says oh and checks, line ends up being blocked or kinked. You would be surprised how often this has happened. Best one so far, pt has DKA and is being treated with insulin and normally K, However ICU nurse continues to push insulin and continues to keep checking K because these are standard orders. K goes from the high 4s and starts to fall. Somehow she missed the line that says when K is below 2.5 stop giving insulin. We arrive in the morning to round and morning K is 2.2. Attending talks to nurse and she says "I thought that was weird to because usually orders do say to hold insulin if K goes below 2.5, sorry" Good thing the patient wasn't thrown into an arrhythmia

If someone with a degree below yours is better at something in your field you should know, I recommend you ask for a refund on your education.

The analogy of steve jobs is a completely flawed comparison. Steve didn't build anything, he had steve wozniak for that. Jobs had vision and business savy. In business there never really is a single right or wrong answer or a specific way that is researched with objective results identifying the correct way to run a business like there is in medicine. I also haven't heard of the business boards either. However if I practice with the game of operation or if I cut open the local neighborhood animals or be a coroner than I am probably qualified to do an operation based on the bill gates analogy.

For the scrubs reference- You have probably never spent much time in a hospital ever! I have never seen a doctor do a simple IV. Doctors will all the time place the "more important" lines all the time like an arterial line or a central venous catheter, etc. There are PICC line nurses but I have never seen or heard of a nurse placing much else except in the ER occasionally. I also haven't seen a doctor physically give some one their medication, just right the orders that says the person will get the said needed medication. Who delivers it? The nurse.

When a person finishes a degree and then sits for their respective boards and passes, then they are deemed competent. If a person with a lower degree is more competent than you then again you should get a refund on your education.

Soap box-
Last bit of education for people who think the gap between nurse/PA/Nurse practitioner and a Physician is small

Nurse- 4 year college
PA- 4 yr college and 2 years of PA school (after school free to work fairly independently)
Nurse Practitioner- 4 year RN and 2 years of RN school (after school free to work fairly independently)

Physician- 4 year college, 4 year medical school, (intern year is just first year after medical school in any residency), after med school residency ranging from 3-7 years depending on choice, fellowship ranging from 1-5. During the entire process of medical school thru fellowship you are constantly being supervised and discussing everything while you are actually treating patients in real time. So just focusing on the time after all school the typical doctor could have any where from 3-12 years, average is probably 4-6, of specific training in medicine working in the wards and OR 80hrs per week with 2-3 wks of vacation which is for any one keeping track is longer than all the other routes to the healthcare field. I have never seen a PA or a nurse practitioner work 80hrs a week ever.

If an associate level degree is fairly close to a DPT or could be with experience based on so many posters above, then I do agree that moving the pursuit of physical therapy to a graduate school route is a disservice to applicants and is reaching too hard for that Doctor title. Physical therapy should be bumped backed down to the college level.

Please do not let facts get in the way of opinions.
:laugh:

There are competent and incompetent folks everywhere. I have been an engineer for 20+ years, but have come across "mere" technicians who could run circles around me. I have 3 degrees, they have none. Nuff' said...

I don't understand how this was funny. My post WAS my opinion based on my experiences.

This thread is disappointing.

I don't understand how this was funny. My post WAS my opinion based on my experiences.

Jacqs - You misunderstood my post: I agree that you have valuable, real data (the facts, from your job doing payroll), but lots of people will still disregard facts because they have their own opinions. And the smiley at the end of the sentence underlines the absurdity of such an attitude.

Next time you need a surgery, please only have the scrub tech perform the operation.
Next time you need a Rx drug please just have the nurse pick one for you. It really is that easy.:laugh:

I'm not sure why you're showing such disdain for other professions. This really is a disappointing thread. :confused:

I'm sure a NP can prescribe me Amoxicillin just as effectively as a physician can for less cost to me, the patient. Since we like to use anecdotes, my last appointment with a physician lasted approximately 2 minutes and was billed at $130. Contrary to what one might expect, there was no magical, instant healing happening at that pay rate. I described my symptoms, had what I said repeated back to me, and was written a prescription. Wow. That was all that was required too. Quite frankly, I would have much rather seen a less expensive NP given the simple nature of this visit. Are you suggesting that there is not a single NP walking this planet who could have asked me those same three, simple questions and given me the appropriate prescription? As such, I most definitely think other health professionals can take over some of the many roles that physicians once monopolized. Wouldn't the superior expertise you refer to be better applied to more complicated cases anyway?

From my opinion Nurses knowledge comes from...
...never seen a PA or a nurse practitioner work 80hrs a week ever.

Cool story bro. :thumbup:

If an associate level degree is fairly close to a DPT or could be with experience based on so many posters above, then I do agree that moving the pursuit of physical therapy to a graduate school route is a disservice to applicants and is reaching too hard for that Doctor title. Physical therapy should be bumped backed down to the college level.

Your difficulty discerning the difference between PTA and DPT programs does not imply there is no difference. At this point though you're just trolling.

From my opinion Nurses knowledge comes from experience mostly versus what they learned in nursing school. Experience that is gained from working under a Doctor that always orders them to do something and gives away the diagnosis. Over time that Nurse sees the same patterns of symptoms and is able to make a reasonable guess to what the diagnosis is and from experience is able to make a reasonable guess to what the medication is. That method works until a "zebra occurs", a problem arises, or when the picture/presentation doesn't match something the nurse has experienced before, or heaven for bid a different disease presents fairly similarly.

I have seen nurses get worried about poor urine output into a foley and call a doctor, doctor says check the line, it could be kinked or blocked, nurse says oh and checks, line ends up being blocked or kinked. You would be surprised how often this has happened. Best one so far, pt has DKA and is being treated with insulin and normally K, However ICU nurse continues to push insulin and continues to keep checking K because these are standard orders. K goes from the high 4s and starts to fall. Somehow she missed the line that says when K is below 2.5 stop giving insulin. We arrive in the morning to round and morning K is 2.2. Attending talks to nurse and she says "I thought that was weird to because usually orders do say to hold insulin if K goes below 2.5, sorry" Good thing the patient wasn't thrown into an arrhythmia

If someone with a degree below yours is better at something in your field you should know, I recommend you ask for a refund on your education.

The analogy of steve jobs is a completely flawed comparison. Steve didn't build anything, he had steve wozniak for that. Jobs had vision and business savy. In business there never really is a single right or wrong answer or a specific way that is researched with objective results identifying the correct way to run a business like there is in medicine. I also haven't heard of the business boards either. However if I practice with the game of operation or if I cut open the local neighborhood animals or be a coroner than I am probably qualified to do an operation based on the bill gates analogy.

For the scrubs reference- You have probably never spent much time in a hospital ever! I have never seen a doctor do a simple IV. Doctors will all the time place the "more important" lines all the time like an arterial line or a central venous catheter, etc. There are PICC line nurses but I have never seen or heard of a nurse placing much else except in the ER occasionally. I also haven't seen a doctor physically give some one their medication, just right the orders that says the person will get the said needed medication. Who delivers it? The nurse.

When a person finishes a degree and then sits for their respective boards and passes, then they are deemed competent. If a person with a lower degree is more competent than you then again you should get a refund on your education.

Soap box-
Last bit of education for people who think the gap between nurse/PA/Nurse practitioner and a Physician is small

Nurse- 4 year college
PA- 4 yr college and 2 years of PA school (after school free to work fairly independently)
Nurse Practitioner- 4 year RN and 2 years of RN school (after school free to work fairly independently)

Physician- 4 year college, 4 year medical school, (intern year is just first year after medical school in any residency), after med school residency ranging from 3-7 years depending on choice, fellowship ranging from 1-5. During the entire process of medical school thru fellowship you are constantly being supervised and discussing everything while you are actually treating patients in real time. So just focusing on the time after all school the typical doctor could have any where from 3-12 years, average is probably 4-6, of specific training in medicine working in the wards and OR 80hrs per week with 2-3 wks of vacation which is for any one keeping track is longer than all the other routes to the healthcare field. I have never seen a PA or a nurse practitioner work 80hrs a week ever.

my goodness you sure know your stuff...

Last edited:

I was reading through this thread and couldn't withhold my comment after reading fiveoboy's post above.

Man, you are condescending punk. Nowhere that I saw did anyone equate PTA education with PT education. Geez. I suppose you are one of the DPTs that insists everyone call you Dr. 5 0.

relax, PTAs are qualified to be PT extenders. The good ones will catch things that are wrong and need attention. the bad ones are just technicians (just like good PTs and bad PTs, good MDs and bad MDs.)

I was reading through this thread and couldn't withhold my comment after reading fiveoboy's post above.

Man, you are condescending punk. Nowhere that I saw did anyone equate PTA education with PT education. Geez. I suppose you are one of the DPTs that insists everyone call you Dr. 5 0.

relax, PTAs are qualified to be PT extenders. The good ones will catch things that are wrong and need attention. the bad ones are just technicians (just like good PTs and bad PTs, good MDs and bad MDs.)

Great point. There are good and bad PTAs, and the good ones can help the PT grow as therapists(some have tons of experience vs us new grads). At the end of the day, its going to be a case by case thing with PT/PTA relationship and trust is huge. I have to sign everything and bear a huge responsibility...so I have to be comfortable with their competence/interventions. I believe there is a huge rift because of pay. Some PTAs can resent PTs because they are making 20-30k more a year...but in fairness, my education cost me $240K and the PTAs probably make more than me after my loan payments each month!
As for being called Dr...bleh. The only person i'm ok with calling me Dr. is my grandma-She's 84...if it gives her something to talk about in her sleepy little town...More power to her!

If you could read you'd see that many posters above stated or at least implied that PTA education rivaled PT education as it is today.

No I am not a PT who insists that everyone call me a doctor, and I have never introduced myself as one.

Last edited: