Opinion on retaking DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UJ007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you guys don't mind can you give me your opinion on whether I should retake the dat. I wrote it last aug and received

AA 20
TS 21
Bio 23
Ochem 20
Gchem 20
RC 22
QR 17
PAT 17

Cum and sci gpa in the 3.3 range. I applied last year around septmeber and ended up getting waitlisted at one school.

So do you guys think I should rewrite the dat to have a better chance this year, also I plan on applying asap!

Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

only retake the DAT if you are very sure that you can improve AND if you have at least a month or two of "free time" to study for the DAT again.
how many schools did you apply to last year?

No, there are so many ways to improve an application, retaking an already well above average DAT is not one of them. The only real flag is the PAT, but many schools won't turn you down with a 17 (especially after looking at that TS and RC).

Your GPA is not spectacular, but it also isn't going to sink you. Apply early, and apply broadly.

Take my advice, as well as any other SDNer's lightly, we are not adcoms. The best thing for you to do is call/email the schools you are considering and ask directly. I would be interested to hear how many tell you to retake the DAT.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys don't mind can you give me your opinion on whether I should retake the dat. I wrote it last aug and received

AA 20
TS 21
Bio 23
Ochem 20
Gchem 20
RC 22
QR 17
PAT 17

Cum and sci gpa in the 3.3 range. I applied last year around septmeber and ended up getting waitlisted at one school.

So do you guys think I should rewrite the dat to have a better chance this year, also I plan on applying asap!

Thanks

those are good scores, you shouldnt retake the test.

go with it this cycle and if nothing happens with them, rethink your app and retake.

AA 20
TS 21
Bio 23
Ochem 20
Gchem 20
RC 22
QR 17
PAT 17

Thanks

See link on DAT retakes and 06 Ranking.

AA 20
TS 21
Bio 23
Ochem 20
Gchem 20
RC 22
QR 17
PAT 17

Thanks

You're kidding, right?????

Marion

Thanks for all the input. Honeslty I thought those were pretty decent scores, but it didn't get me in anywhere.

The reason I was considering re-taking it is because I had my application put on hold pending a retake of my dat at one school. It was early in the application cycle and I thought I had chances at other schools... guess not!

I think they wanted to see a higher pat score?? Anyways, maybe this year.
Thanks again for all the comments!

Thanks for all the input. Honeslty I thought those were pretty decent scores, but it didn't get me in anywhere.

The reason I was considering re-taking it is because I had my application put on hold pending a retake of my dat at one school. It was early in the application cycle and I thought I had chances at other schools... guess not!

I think they wanted to see a higher pat score?? Anyways, maybe this year.
Thanks again for all the comments!

You will be fine dude. Good luck to you!

Marion