Opinions, Advice, Etc would be very much appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NM-aspiringPT

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
So I need some advice for the 2018-2019 application term for PT school. I need as many opinions and as much advice as possible.

What are my weaknesses, aspects I need to strengthen and what are my chances for acceptance?

Undergrad: Appalachian State University; BSc Exercise Science
Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Biology & Chemistry
Concentration: Pre-Med
Cumulative GPA : 3.64
Honors: Cum Laude

Pre-Req GPA is higher than my Cumulative: Not sure on the exact number

Graduate: University of Tampa; MSc Exercise and Nutrition Science
Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Honors: Summa Cum Laude

GRE: TBD; June 23

LOR: 1 from Graduate Advisor (Ph.D.), 3 from Licensed PTs that I have worked close with

Observation Hours: 1000+ hours working in a outpatient clinic dealing with auto-accident injuries and workers compensation cases; 500+ hours working for an outpatient PT and Sports Med rehab facility, 47 hours volunteering with a hospital outpatient PT and sports rehab facility, 40 hours volunteering inpatient acute care in a hospital.

Research: Senior research assistant during my graduate program in the UT Human Performance Lab with which I was a co-author on one published and one soon to be published manuscripts. Presented research at the NSCA Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada. Helped with many more research projects. Helped teach undergrad classes.
Research assistant at UNC-Charlotte in the Kinesiology Dpt. working with skeletal muscle physiology and the molecular pathways (A-Notch and Wnt) regulating skeletal muscle growth
Research assistant at Appalachian State examining in vivo and in vitro signaling mechanisms underlying thermoregulatory and micro-vascular dysfunction in diabetic and cardiovascular disease populations, and the impact of exercise and thermal interventions on vascular responses.


Internships:
Six month internship with a Division 1 S&C program; 500+ hours interning for the American Red Cross; 50+ hours practicum working with two licensed neurologists

Extracurriculars:; Founding member of Alpha Epsilon Delta (honors medical society); President of Gamma Beta Phi (service and academic honor society); 300+ hours shadowing various MDs, DOs, PAs; 2 semesters on Chancellors list and 2 semesters on Deans list; Philanthropy Chair for fraternity.

Certifications: CPR/AED; CSCS; CISSN; Will have obtained FMS Lvl.1 cert. and potentially USAW by submission time

Top Picks for DPT Programs are:
University of Florida
University of Kentucky
Medical University of South Carolina
Mercer University
University of Evansville
University of Miami
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Kansas Medical Center
Washington University in St Louis


Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!
 
I don’t have much to say other than getting into UF can be hard and if you’re an OOS student it might be even imposible.
You have a good GPA just try to get a killing GRE score and I think you’ll be fine.
 
I don’t have much to say other than getting into UF can be hard and if you’re an OOS student it might be even imposible.
You have a good GPA just try to get a killing GRE score and I think you’ll be fine.

Same for UK.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t have much to say other than getting into UF can be hard and if you’re an OOS student it might be even imposible.
You have a good GPA just try to get a killing GRE score and I think you’ll be fine.

I have been in FL for 2 years now so can claim residency. However my residency currently resides in NC