opinions/information needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hushpup81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. i graduated college with a B.S. in accounting. however, after an internship i realized that i really did not enjoy the accounting field. i graduated in december and i have been doing some clerical/assistant work for an insurance company. anyway, i have been considering going back to school for nursing or pharmacy. i have been leaning towards nursing because i can get through an accelerated program in two years. however, i do worry that maybe i am limiting myself with this career change.

i was just wondering if anyone on here can give me some info on exactly what i can do with a pharmacy degree. i know of the pharmacists that work in cvs/walgreens, but what exactly does a pharmacist do that is working in a hospital? also, if i did nursing, do you think later down the line when i get a job i could go back for pharmacy? i guess i'm just worried that since i'm a non traditional student the pharmacy route isn't for me. i know it takes about 6 years to get through, so i'm a little worried that i'm already too old. plus, would it look better on my app to get into pharmacy school, if i was already a nurse?

any opinons are welcome
have a nice day,
hushpup81

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone. i graduated college with a B.S. in accounting. however, after an internship i realized that i really did not enjoy the accounting field. i graduated in december and i have been doing some clerical/assistant work for an insurance company. anyway, i have been considering going back to school for nursing or pharmacy. i have been leaning towards nursing because i can get through an accelerated program in two years. however, i do worry that maybe i am limiting myself with this career change.

i was just wondering if anyone on here can give me some info on exactly what i can do with a pharmacy degree. i know of the pharmacists that work in cvs/walgreens, but what exactly does a pharmacist do that is working in a hospital? also, if i did nursing, do you think later down the line when i get a job i could go back for pharmacy? i guess i'm just worried that since i'm a non traditional student the pharmacy route isn't for me. i know it takes about 6 years to get through, so i'm a little worried that i'm already too old. plus, would it look better on my app to get into pharmacy school, if i was already a nurse?

any opinons are welcome
have a nice day,
hushpup81

Options are many and varied. Check the FAQs for career options. You'll notice a lot of them are inpatient (hospital) type jobs.

As a non-trad I wouldn't so much worry about the timing. I'm 30 with two kids and starting my P1 year this fall, some of our other posters are career changers both older and with more kids than me. If it's what you want, and you want it bad enough, normally you can find a way to make it happen.

Well, with a pharmacy degree, you can go into about 20 different fields... nuclear pharmacy, hospital, retail, research, teaching, drug representative... so many options.
http://www.jobjournal.com/article_full_text.asp?artid=744

A pharmacist who works in a hospital... I'm not sure, really, I can guess but I have never spent more than a day volunteering there...
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/Show...f_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&pageno=1&idno=308

And of course you can go back and become a pharmacist if you were a nurse. In fact, you would have a better chance of being accepted.

good luck!