opinions needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retaplased

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pharmacist working night shift (7on/7off). As medical students, do you think it is possible to keep up this schedule in school? I would love to further my education, but am in the situation of supporting a family and of course morgage payments, etc... I try to keep in mind that much of the basic sciences have already been covered (perhaps not in much depth) in pharmacy school. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a pharmacist working night shift (7on/7off). As medical students, do you think it is possible to keep up this schedule in school? I would love to further my education, but am in the situation of supporting a family and of course morgage payments, etc... I try to keep in mind that much of the basic sciences have already been covered (perhaps not in much depth) in pharmacy school. What do you guys think?

No.. To me the classical conflict which becomes he cross roads for many is: working , raising a family versing the life of academia..

Moving to Non-trad forum as some non-trad medical students may want to weigh in on how they supported family during medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly, I don't see how you can keep up with such a schedule in med school. Even though they can both perhaps be categorized as health sciences, however, the focus and emphasis in med school and pharmacy school are a lot different. I cannot imagine anyone being able to hold down a full time job on top of a full-time med school curriculum. Med school is extremely stressful. The volume of material is huge, the pace is fast and the stress is high.

Schools do take into account living expenses when doing your financial aid, so you should be able to get loans to cover your basic needs. Working a full time job on top of family on top of medical school is just too much.