1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

opinions needed

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by retaplased, May 15, 2008.

1. retaplased

Pharmacist
    I am currently a pharmacist working night shift (7on/7off). As medical students, do you think it is possible to keep up this schedule in school? I would love to further my education, but am in the situation of supporting a family and of course morgage payments, etc... I try to keep in mind that much of the basic sciences have already been covered (perhaps not in much depth) in pharmacy school. What do you guys think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mjl1717

mjl1717 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

No.. To me the classical conflict which becomes he cross roads for many is: working , raising a family versing the life of academia..

4. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to Non-trad forum as some non-trad medical students may want to weigh in on how they supported family during medical school.

5. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Honestly, I don't see how you can keep up with such a schedule in med school. Even though they can both perhaps be categorized as health sciences, however, the focus and emphasis in med school and pharmacy school are a lot different. I cannot imagine anyone being able to hold down a full time job on top of a full-time med school curriculum. Med school is extremely stressful. The volume of material is huge, the pace is fast and the stress is high.

6. Luxian

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Schools do take into account living expenses when doing your financial aid, so you should be able to get loans to cover your basic needs. Working a full time job on top of family on top of medical school is just too much.

7. gman33

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you talking about 7 nights a week with alternating weeks off?
    Highly doubtful.

During 3/4 years, impossible.