SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

opinions needed

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by retaplased, May 15, 2008.

1. retaplased

May 15, 2008
    I am currently a pharmacist working night shift (7on/7off). As medical students, do you think it is possible to keep up this schedule in school? I would love to further my education, but am in the situation of supporting a family and of course morgage payments, etc... I try to keep in mind that much of the basic sciences have already been covered (perhaps not in much depth) in pharmacy school. What do you guys think?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mjl1717

mjl1717 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 24, 2003
    No.. To me the classical conflict which becomes he cross roads for many is: working , raising a family versing the life of academia..
  4. njbmd

njbmd Guest Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Gone Walkabout!
    Moving to Non-trad forum as some non-trad medical students may want to weigh in on how they supported family during medical school.
  5. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man 10+ Year Member

Honestly, I don't see how you can keep up with such a schedule in med school. Even though they can both perhaps be categorized as health sciences, however, the focus and emphasis in med school and pharmacy school are a lot different. I cannot imagine anyone being able to hold down a full time job on top of a full-time med school curriculum. Med school is extremely stressful. The volume of material is huge, the pace is fast and the stress is high.
  6. Luxian

Luxian 5+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Schools do take into account living expenses when doing your financial aid, so you should be able to get loans to cover your basic needs. Working a full time job on top of family on top of medical school is just too much.
  7. gman33

gman33 Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Are you talking about 7 nights a week with alternating weeks off?
    Highly doubtful.

During 3/4 years, impossible.