Opinions on King/Drew program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demspawn

Pissed FMG
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth applying?
Any thoughts?
Heard anything good or bad about?
Any problems with the program or the its location?

Thanks,

D.

Members don't see this ad.

The surgery and radiology programs were recently closed there due to inadequate supervision, leaving the residents scrambling to find spots elsewhere. I don't know anything specifically about ophthalmology but the faculty at my med school told us to avoid it in general.

I met a med student from Drew while on the interview trail. She said that their Ophtho program was not in trouble like their other departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK....
I am definetely dying to go into ophtho but I am fdefinetely not that desperate...
Thank you to all who posted (especially the ones with the LATimes links)...you just might have helped me avoid a big mistake...

D

King Drew's ophthalmology program thinks that they are a very outstanding program. Whether that opinion is valid is another discussion.

Visioncam said:
King Drew's ophthalmology program thinks that they are a very outstanding program. Whether that opinion is valid is another discussion.

Well if their actual words were "very outstanding" and not just "outstanding" or maybe "little outstanding" then maybe there is still hope...

I interviewed at drew/king and though their hospital is currently in a precarious state, and they are losing their trauma department, The ophtho residency has always been decent from what I have heard. Residents have matched at good fellowships. Plus, if their ophtho program does go under, it is likely that the residents would be absorbed by the other academic programs in la which are actually top-tier programs. This last tidbit of info was given to me by the chairman. In short, I am not going there but it was on my rank list.

Frightening hospital, but great article overall. I guess it illustrates what happens when social movements get tangled up into medical care.

booger said:
I interviewed at drew/king and though their hospital is currently in a precarious state, and they are losing their trauma department, The ophtho residency has always been decent from what I have heard. Residents have matched at good fellowships. Plus, if their ophtho program does go under, it is likely that the residents would be absorbed by the other academic programs in la which are actually top-tier programs. This last tidbit of info was given to me by the chairman. In short, I am not going there but it was on my rank list.

It seems in and of itself worrisome that the chairman has to explain to applicants what would happen to them if (when?) the department dissolves. . .