Opinions on NBMEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I just took NBME12, and received a predicted score of 247. My Uworld average for first time through, all mixed and timed, is ~80%. I still have a few weeks left of school so I haven't started "officially" studying yet, but am taking the exam June 19th.

I understand these are good scores, but I feel like I'm guessing on nearly half of the questions I answer. That being said, about 90% of those I feel are decent educated guesses that I narrow down to 2 or 3 answers.
My concern is that when it comes to the real exam, instead of not caring if I get a ton wrong, I'll be freaked out that I feel like I'm guessing on so many.

What is it like for all of you when you take practice exams or do questions? Are you totally confident of a lot of your answers? I guess I'm just always surprised when I get my scores back. I constantly feel like everyone is smarter than I am (not saying that if you are getting lower scores, you aren't just as smart FYI)

Members don't see this ad.

I recently took NBME 13 and scored a 260. Felt exactly the same as you did. I was well-rested the night before which allowed me to think through a lot of the questions. I see what people mean when they say the test is about "reasoning". It was stuff I hadn't explicitly known or seen, but was able to narrow down and choose the right answer on a majority of the time.

Still, I can't shake the feeling that "you're only as strong as your weakest subject", and I feel like I'm still pretty weak in a few areas. My exam is about 2 weeks earlier than yours... I'm gonna keep busting my ass and hope for the best.

Hello!

So I just took NBME12, and received a predicted score of 247. My Uworld average for first time through, all mixed and timed, is ~80%. I still have a few weeks left of school so I haven't started "officially" studying yet, but am taking the exam June 19th.

I understand these are good scores, but I feel like I'm guessing on nearly half of the questions I answer. That being said, about 90% of those I feel are decent educated guesses that I narrow down to 2 or 3 answers.
My concern is that when it comes to the real exam, instead of not caring if I get a ton wrong, I'll be freaked out that I feel like I'm guessing on so many.

What is it like for all of you when you take practice exams or do questions? Are you totally confident of a lot of your answers? I guess I'm just always surprised when I get my scores back. I constantly feel like everyone is smarter than I am (not saying that if you are getting lower scores, you aren't just as smart FYI)

Excellent thread ! I have the same feelings...have been getting 250+ on NBMEs since a while...but i feel the same....
I hardly feel that i know the answer perfectly in 40-50% questions... The rest of em...i am just guessing...finding my way through it...many a times...
I use methods which would sound absurd but work out in my favour when i am eliminating options...Narrowing it down...

So I guess its not just me...many people feel the same as I do..