Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Opinions on submitting a slightly unique picture when secondaries ask....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by onthebackBURNER, Aug 18, 2015.

1. onthebackBURNER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks to all who contributed and helped me sort out my thoughts!

#1 onthebackBURNER, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 282NC

I don't understand why you feel the need to use this picture. To confirm that you actually shaved your head? I think I may be missing something.

4. onthebackBURNER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just like the picture, and before I go out and get a new "professional" one taken I am just wondering if I could submit this one instead to stand out from all the generic suit and tie pictures that most applicants will undoubtedly submit. Not trying to prove anything or validate an experience (the fact that it ties into one of the themes of my app is just an added bonus). Merely wondering if submitting something less formal is frowned upon, or if submitting this would be fine, OR if nobody will even care/notice either way.

Thanks for your response

5. steelersfan1243

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is a pretty bad picture. It is clear you do not brush your teeth well. Make sure you floss for an extra four seconds between your incisors for better results.

6. meetsub

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Honestly this looks fine. I think the picture is used to identify you more than anything else. Had a friend take a picture in a regular shirt and he still got in.

7. 282NC

Ah, I see. I think your guess is as good as anyone's when it comes to how adcoms will react to a less formal picture. Just my opinion, but I feel as though they just use those pictures to put a face with the application and it's really not a place to try to stand out.

Also, if you're going to worry about it at all, it's best to just save yourself the trouble and do the formal pic.

8. onthebackBURNER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh:

9. Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think that's amazing what you did, but if you talked about it in your activities and secondaries, I wouldn't risk it with this photo. Some adcoms may not appreciate it, while others might. The point is you don't know, so why risk it?

10. onthebackBURNER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Appreciate the input guys, if anyone else has something to add please feel free to. I'll think about it some more, but I might just take the safe road and go get a new headshot taken. Very good advice with the "why risk it at all", seems to be the general theme with these applications haha

11. NonTrad16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I honestly don't know why someone would discount you for this photo... That said, if you feel like you'd have to explain it, maybe leave it off. My rule of thumb: don't bring up anything that you wouldn't be comfortable talking about. You've already mentioned your activities in your application, and it seems like a passionate element for you... So... I could easily see you running with it.

12. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As a picture itself, it's perfectly fine. The goal is to put a face/personality to the stats and this is perfect. Plenty of people have shaved heads and it looks really good/normal on you. I wouldn't have connected the shaved head to your cancer event if you hadn't told me, so hold off on that (they probably won't even correlate the two either or let alone ask why you chose that particular image). I honestly can't imagine an AdCom questioning your choice of picture. You're dressed up and smiling. Good enough.

13. sobored

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You'd be better off not using this picture. Medicine is conservative, etc etc...Someone might look at it and dismiss your app without even reading the story behind it. Save the personality for the interview.

14. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    having a shaved head isn't some crazy thing. the picture is fine, shows character, and no one is going to discount him for shaving his head. thats just ridiculous.

15. sobored

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Having a shaved head is not the problem. It's the posing. I thought that seemed obvious.

Glazedonutlove likes this.
  16. Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member

Actually, most ask for a passport style photo. I would stick with the requirements OP

Oh and no one has a problem with his shaved head! It is the pose

#15 Glazedonutlove, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  17. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    the hand on the head? it just adds personality to it. backstory or not, i don't see a problem with it. much better than the mug shot sears portrait center pictures ive seen most pre-meds send it.

18. Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member

Passport style photo! No hands

19. cottoncandy500

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Don't like it. I like the bald head though, makes you look mature lol. But seriously. It just looks like you decided to take a pic with your hand on your head for no apparent reason unless you explain it elsewhere.

20. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    there goes my idea of making the hang loose sign in my photo...

21. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Will you have hair or no hair when you interview. Send a picture that looks like you'll look when you interview. Make it a standard head & shoulders portrait. There is no extra credit for artsy shots. the point is not to make your picture a conversation piece about your favorite charity.

22. onthebackBURNER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha thanks for the ego boost man

This is essentially what I was most worried about though, as I am posing. Also, submitted AMCAS late so I haven't actually seen the wording of the photo asks yet. Very good call on the passport photo distinction whoever mentioned that.

I think the verdict is that I'll just go get a new headshot taken. Appreciate all the input guys, both those for and against it. It's nice when this site is actually genuinely helpful and not stressful/scary lol

23. onthebackBURNER

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

That settles it then. Great point about making it an accurate representation of how I'll look at the interview. Thanks for dropping by LizzyM, it's always appreciated!