Opinions on switching jobs

Started by ilikecake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ilikecake

2021 (ᵔᴥᵔ)
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I would like your opinions on something. I currently have a job at an accredited, great animal hospital. However, I am miserable there. Everything is a protocol and I feel like I don't get much hands on time with patients, I'm mostly stuck walking dogs even though I have many many years of experience as a tech. I have the opportunity to return to my old job for the same pay. However, the old job that I'm thinking of going back to isn't exactly a 5 star hospital. It's one of those messy cheap hospitals with one cranky doctor and a perpetually full waiting room. However, the amount of crazy things I saw there doesn't even compare to the new nice hospital where I am now. In the 3 years I've been at the new hospital, I've seen as many cool cases as I saw at the old place in a week. What do you guys think? Give up the fancy hospital for the cheap one? Or stay there and just suck it up for the next 8 months? I'm applying this cycle and am worried I'll mess up my chances by leaving the fancy hospital.
 
If you are applying this cycle, a critical question is which doctors who will write you better letters of rec?

If you've been at the fancy one for three years, I think that is more than enough. I would get a letter of rec from the doctors there if possible, and spend the rest of your time in an environment you enjoy more (and possibly get a good letter there as well)
 
If you are applying this cycle, a critical question is which doctors who will write you better letters of rec?

I think at this point that's irrelevant. The director of the fancy hospital has already written and submitted a letter from me. I also have a letter from a different vet who I worked with a few years ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think at this point that's irrelevant. The director of the fancy hospital has already written and submitted a letter from me. I also have a letter from a different vet who I worked with a few years ago.
yeah, you can leave if you want.

If the cranky vet does quality medicine, what does it matter how the clinic looks?