Opinions on Taking Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenixtnlfan

P2 Wildcat
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating if it would be worth taking physiology again. I took it three years ago so I'm exempt from taking it again in pharm school. I would say I remember it okay. Any opinions on if I should take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm debating if it would be worth taking physiology again. I took it three years ago so I'm exempt from taking it again in pharm school. I would say I remember it okay. Any opinions on if I should take it again?

I would probably take it again, just because it is an important class that gives you a base of knowledge for pharmacy school. Also, your particular school may build off that particular class, and that class may cover some material that your last class did not cover at all.

But that's just me.

Or if you are confident in the material, you can ask to be a TA for the class or help tutor students, and audit the class so that you still review the material being taught.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can audit the course or sit in a few sessions and see what the material is. Do you remember some/most/all of it? Does it seem fairly new? Are there a few sections you could improve on? Worst case, you take it and do fine, boost the GPA a little. Best case, you remember most/all the material, don't retake the course and have free time to focus on other areas.

From my personal experience, pharmacology was much easier to understand with a solid background in physiology. If you still have your old physiology notes, I would review them and study any unfamiliar concepts before deciding on whether to retake or audit a class. You may find that a week or two of studying is sufficient.

This is just my opinion, but as others have pointed out, it certainly would not be a waste of time to retake physiology since it really is the backbone of your pharmacy education.