opinions on which school to choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvm2013

Michigan State C/O 2013!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've narrowed my choice of schools down to Michigan State of University of Tennessee and I just wanted to hear some opinions on which school you would choose to go to and why. I'm interested in going into small animal medicine and am from upstate NY. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a little quick research and these are some things I found.

Tuition for Michigan:
In State-$14,834
Out State-$31,034

Tuition for Tennessee:
In State-10,176
Out State-28,396

Seat for Michigan:
In State-78
Out State-30

Seats for Tennessee:
In State-50
Out State-20

It also looks like Michigan has a more rigid academic class requirement. So based on this information I think I would lean toward Tennessee-although Michigan has more seats. So maybe it is a toss up. There are other things to look at too-such as average GPA, campus preference, in state residency (are you a resident in either-if so you prob have a better chance of getting into your in state).

You can check this link out. It has a weird title "Quick and Dirty Vet Med Application Guide," but I have found it useful. It gives a bunch of links to different sites like AAVMC. And I think that was how I found this forum.

http://www.geocities.com/qddvmguide/

Hope that helps!

PS-I would like under the category of school info-especially the vet school comparison chart.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what the numbers are for IS and OOS, but TN has 85 seats/class now.

It is a chart from AAVMC, but I don't know how up to date it is. Hmmm....sorry about that.

Oh wait, did you mean 85 total-in state and out of state?

Last edited:
It is a chart from AAVMC, but I don't know how up to date it is. Hmmm....sorry about that.

Oh wait, did you mean 85 total-in state and out of state?

85 total seats, not sure how many are in-state vs. out-of-state. We over accepted last year but meant to get 85 last year too, so thats at least 2 years old now.

85 total seats, not sure how many are in-state vs. out-of-state. We over accepted last year but meant to get 85 last year too, so thats at least 2 years old now.

Well, hopefully that website will give you a rough idea of how to compare schools. It also tells you class requirements for each vet school-but since we are not sure how old it is (don't think it is that old) it might be more useful to just check out the vet school website (which are usually good statisitics). Sorry about the old data-but I think it will give you a general idea. :)

And whoops! I just noticed you said you are from New York-sorry. So you would be out of state for both. Why will you not apply to Cornell in New York?

Sorry I should've been more specific! I've actually already been accepted at both of these schools. I was accepted at 6 and narrowed it down to these 2 to as my top choices to attend. Thanks so much for your input if you have any info to help me make my choice that would be great :)

Sorry I should've been more specific! I've actually already been accepted at both of these schools. I was accepted at 6 and narrowed it down to these 2 to as my top choices to attend. Thanks so much for your input if you have any info to help me make my choice that would be great :)

Ahhhh...I see. So my info probably isn't relevant. Oh well. I tried :rolleyes:

Well as I politely said to the person trying to decide between western and UTK, please choose anything other than UTK. I'm on the waiting list there and would much appreciate it ;)

I don't know about Michigan, but most people choose UTK for their exotic program. But, I assume everybody has a good small animal program because that is what most people are interested in.

Just to let you know, total expenses (tuition and fees) for these schools are Tennessee at $40,724 and Michigan State at $43,054. You might want to check out cost-of-living estimates for the area to see if one school can allow you to get significantly cheaper rent, utilities, etc. than the other. Even a $15,000 total difference in cost will seem a loooot bigger once you start paying off loans.

Since you want to go into small animal medicine, I think you'll get comparable experiences at either school. If you're really torn, just start asking yourself some questions. They're both kind of far from home, but is one easier/faster to get to than another if you need to see family? Do you like lots of cold weather and snow? Larger or smaller class-size? More integration of problem-based learning or sticking with traditional lectures?

Good luck with your decision!!!

Why did you narrow it down to these two schools? Did you apply to other schools and get accepted?

I'm just asking because they seem like very different schools (although both excellent) with different specialty areas. If you have any interest in zoo/wildlife medicine I would suggest UTK. They really have a wonderful program in this area. Id therio (small or large animal) is an interest it sounds like MN is really leading that area right now.

Is there factors like proximity to family? Can you take the cold winters? (Actually many people love them, I;m just a wuss from Ca.) Have you had a chance to visit both schools?

Sorry, that was more questions than advice:laugh:

I did a little quick research and these are some things I found.

Tuition for Tennessee:
In State-10,176
Out State-28,396

I don't know how old this info you found is but I can tell you as out of state at UT I pay well over 28,000 for tuition. I think its more like in the upper 30s now and likely to continue to go up with all the budget cuts going on at UT.
I'm assuming if UT's has changed the Michigan one may be out of date too but I don't know about that one.

From the aavmc.org website:

2008-2009:
$15,348.00 resident;
$40,724.00 non-resident

I don't know how old this info you found is but I can tell you as out of state at UT I pay well over 28,000 for tuition. I think its more like in the upper 30s now and likely to continue to go up with all the budget cuts going on at UT.
I'm assuming if UT's has changed the Michigan one may be out of date too but I don't know about that one.

Ya, I apologize my info is not up to date. I am kind of sad because I thought the website was so useful-I especially liked the comparison chart. But I guess it wouldn't be very helpful if it wasn't up to date :(.