Opinions Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramona223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I need opinions!
Do you think the difference between a 2.93 and 3.00 science GPA is worth waiting for summer grades (that don't come in until the end of August) to submit AMCAS? I'm going to retake the MCAT in AUGUST anyway..My cumulative GPA is a 3.5...Obviously I have no idea about April scores, just have the premonition they will not be to my liking...

R.
P.S. I KNOW you can submit summer grades in secondaries, but I doubt they will recalculate my GPA for one class and see that I go from a 2.93 to a 3.00..
3 just looks better...But then waiting is horrid I'm told...

Members don't see this ad.

ramona223 said:
Guys I need opinions!
Do you think the difference between a 2.93 and 3.00 science GPA is worth waiting for summer grades (that don't come in until the end of August) to submit AMCAS? I'm going to retake the MCAT in AUGUST anyway..My cumulative GPA is a 3.5...Obviously I have no idea about April scores, just have the premonition they will not be to my liking...

R.
P.S. I KNOW you can submit summer grades in secondaries, but I doubt they will recalculate my GPA for one class and see that I go from a 2.93 to a 3.00..
3 just looks better...But then waiting is horrid I'm told...

Well, if you end up doing poorly on the April MCAT and only have a 3.0 or lower BCPM, I'm not sure it makes sense to incur the cost of AMCAS at this juncture. To maximize your chance at getting into an allo med school, I'm afraid you are going to have to commit a bit more time. Your best bet at getting into an allo med school is going to be via a postbac (taking upper level sciences and retaking any very low prereqs) or a Special Masters program, along with a strong retake on the MCAT.

Law2Doc said:
Well, if you end up doing poorly on the April MCAT and only have a 3.0 or lower BCPM, I'm not sure it makes sense to incur the cost of AMCAS at this juncture. To maximize your chance at getting into an allo med school, I'm afraid you are going to have to commit a bit more time. Your best bet at getting into an allo med school is going to be via a postbac (taking upper level sciences and retaking any very low prereqs) or a Special Masters program, along with a strong retake on the MCAT.

Agree wholeheartedly with Law2Doc.

With a BCPM = 2.93 I would imagine you will be weeded out of many schools just on the numbers. A gpa 3.5./ BCPM 3.0 might get you a look but unless the mcat is fabulous (32+ with at least 10 in each science section) the adcom won't get past the numbers and you'll get denied before you interview.

I agree with the other posters- this whole process was so expensive, both monetarily and emotionally that I might wait until I could submit a stronger application (e.g. pos-bacc). That said, i would wait for the 3.0 to come in. The adcoms do use cut-offs and the 2.93 may stand out in an unfavorable manner.