1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bionerd, Feb 21, 2007.

1. bionerd

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ok..hope nobody blasts me about this...I got an acceptance at USC, but after reading so, so, so, so, so, so, so many negative posts about it on sdn (even from their students!) I'm starting to feel scared about attending. The thing is, it looks like USC will be the only school accepting me this cycle (I'm still waiting for Tufts but the chance of getting off the waitlist in slimmmm - TUFTS, LET ME IN!!!). I heard people say USC is planning to improve the PBL curriculum by hybridizing it, but i don't think it'll be the Class of 2011's turn to see that day. So, should I just go to USC and to get it over with or apply again next cycle in hopes of getting into a better school?

2. t2thDr14

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Tough predicament. You should talk to more of the dental students at USC to get a better idea. We predents only hear things.

I know someone who was in your same shoes who decided to go to USC. He's a D1 right now. PM me if you'd like his email.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Snahster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know a girl who goes there and she actually really likes the PBL. The problem she says is that you really have to be a go-getter and be on top of your own things. Because it's really easy to just do nothing. So if you are someone who needs a lot of structure I'd say USC is not for you.

4. in her drawer

in her drawer Ain't no glory in a war
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If I were in your position bionerd, I would go to USC. I'd rather go somewhere for sure rather than risk reapplying next year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HermeytheElf

HermeytheElf Guest

Pre-Dental
    You've got good scores, honestly I don't know why you weren't accepted at more places, but that doesn't matter...you were accepted at USC. Don't waste more time trying to go somewhere else...you've got that coveted acceptance letter, all that's left to do is pack your bags for dental school. Congrats.

6. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Think about it, you are waiting another year to go to dental school. You will be waiting one more year to get a paycheck and start paying down loans. A whole year of your life, think about one years worth of money. I wouldn't even think twice, go to USC.

7. OP
    OP
    bionerd

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I guess the consensus is to go to USC if it comes down to it. Alrighty then! What would I have done without SDN? :D

8. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The best dental school, is the one you get into.

9. HeMan

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'll tell you what you would have done without SDN, you would have never stressed about it in the first place:laugh: :laugh:

10. keibee82

keibee82 Blue_tooth...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    that is soooooooooo true!:laugh:

11. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Every dental school will graduate you a dentist and how successful you are lies by and large in your own hands - not necessarily in the name on your diploma. The grass is always greener on the other side: I've talked to many dental students from many schools and if it isn't one thing that is being thrown at you at one school it's something another somewhere else. Dental school is hard, but I think that success during those four years is due in a large part to keeping your head down, maintaining your eyes on the goal, trying to stay positive, and not taking everything personal. Congrats on getting into dental school! :thumbup:

12. rals

rals Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I like that... words of wisdom