Opinions, please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NguyenDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there :)

I just received the approved eligibility email to take the DAT again, but haven't scheduled a date yet. The earliest I can retake the DAT is September 1. I thought I had my mind set on not stating a retake, but now my mind is going back and forth at this. All I want right now is an interview, just like everyone else. If I had a stellar GPA, I wouldn't hesitate to state a retake... but my cGPA is 3.51... sGPA is 3.28... BCP is 2.97 :( ... if I waited for my summer grades all my GPAs would be increased and BCP would be >3.0. I already submitted my applications though.

DAT is:

AA 18
TS 19
GC 21
OC 20
BS 17
RC 18
PAT 18
QR 15

So, I guess my concern/question is:
I'm not sure which one puts me at a more disadvantage...
(1) a really late application with below average GPAs and an above average DAT retake... OR,
(2) an early application with below average GPAs and a so-so DAT.

I applied to about 19 schools, including my home state and the newer OOS friendly schools. Would it be recommended to add more? I DID NOT apply to NOVA, UNLV, Meharry, Howard, UoP, and Buffalo to name a few OOS friendlier schools.

Thank you!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Since both your GPA and DAT are low, I think I would retake the DAT ASAP. You could always apply now and re-send your DAT scores later, but you risk being tossed out early and not getting a second chance.

Buffalo is not so OOS friendly anymore, the admissions system has changed. Those numbers MIGHT get you a late cycle interview...

You probably want to apply to the more expensive programs that are also OOS friendly...

GL

I just received the approved eligibility email to take the DAT again, but haven't scheduled a date yet. The earliest I can retake the DAT is September 1. I thought I had my mind set on not stating a retake, but now my mind is going back and forth at this. All I want right now is an interview, just like everyone else. If I had a stellar GPA, I wouldn't hesitate to state a retake... but my cGPA is 3.51... sGPA is 3.28... BCP is 2.97 :( ... if I waited for my summer grades all my GPAs would be increased and BCP would be >3.0. I already submitted my applications though.

DAT is:

AA 18
TS 19
GC 21
OC 20
BS 17
RC 18
PAT 18
QR 15

(1) a really late application with below average GPAs and an above average DAT retake... OR,

I applied to about 19 schools, including my home state and the newer OOS friendly schools. Would it be recommended to add more? I DID NOT apply to NOVA, UNLV, Meharry, Howard, UoP, and Buffalo to name a few OOS friendlier schools.

Is the earliest YOU can take the DAT in September, or is that the only available dates to retake it?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are just aiming to get in somewhere, I wouldn't re-take. However, with sub 3.0 BCP and 18 AA DAT, it's going to be a uphill battle and you being an Asian doesn't really help this fact either.

However, if you have a dream school, per say UOP, UCLA, UCSF, NYU, Columbia etc..., then seriously consider retaking them and score no less than 21 in every section. Early application doesn't really do you a favor when you have so-so stats. I had 3.7, 23 DAT and tons of dental volunteers... guess what I didn't even get an interview from those schools. Yes it's a pretty damn competitive nowadays.

DAT is:

AA 18
TS 19
GC 21
OC 20
BS 17
RC 18
PAT 18
QR 15

September 1 is the earliest I am allowed to take it. I took my DAT June 1 and need to wait 90 days :)

If you are just aiming to get in somewhere, I wouldn't re-take. However, with sub 3.0 BCP and 18 AA DAT, it's going to be a uphill battle and you being an Asian doesn't really help this fact either.

However, if you have a dream school, per say UOP, UCLA, UCSF, NYU, Columbia etc..., then seriously consider retaking them and score no less than 21 in every section. Early application doesn't really do you a favor when you have so-so stats. I had 3.7, 23 DAT and tons of dental volunteers... guess what I didn't even get an interview from those schools. Yes it's a pretty damn competitive nowadays.

Hi Polarbears, at this point... I'm feeling a little... I guess desperate? ..and just want to get in somewhere. Doesn't matter where to me. Though, I admit my dream school is Baylor. I'm a TX resident. I am enrolled in upper-sciences classes this Fall at my University, so hopefully that will help some... or at least prepare me for reapplying next year.

Hi Polarbears, at this point... I'm feeling a little... I guess desperate? ..and just want to get in somewhere. Doesn't matter where to me. Though, I admit my dream school is Baylor. I'm a TX resident. I am enrolled in upper-sciences classes this Fall at my University, so hopefully that will help some... or at least prepare me for reapplying next year.

If I were you, I would seriously consider applying next year. Applying during your junior year will not only interfere with your current classes, but also will add more stress to you unnecessarily. MANY MANY people apply after they graduate.

nevermind :)

Last edited:

lmao... here we go

I had 3.7, 23 DAT and tons of dental volunteers... guess what I didn't even get an interview from those schools. Yes it's a pretty damn competitive nowadays.

That is a good stat and I am not sure why you didn't get an interview. But it is always hard to judge who gets in or not. I have seen much lower stats get in and not get in.

Since you've already submitted your applications, I don't think there's anything else you can do?

Personally, I'd sign up to take the DAT on September 1st. It might help you with this cycle. If, unluckily, you have to reapply, you won't have to worry again next year about re-taking the DAT.

I can fully sympathize, since I'm also a Texas resident (Baylor's my first choice as well!) and am in the same situation, GPA-wise, though I'm not taking my DAT until next week.

Good luck!

Ur dat scores/gpa are good enough for asdoh. but it depends on what your volunteer experiences look like that will get you an interview there...

Since you've already submitted your applications, I don't think there's anything else you can do?

Personally, I'd sign up to take the DAT on September 1st. It might help you with this cycle. If, unluckily, you have to reapply, you won't have to worry again next year about re-taking the DAT.

I can fully sympathize, since I'm also a Texas resident (Baylor's my first choice as well!) and am in the same situation, GPA-wise, though I'm not taking my DAT until next week.

Good luck!

and plus, many schools dont finish their interviews until march and april so you can still make it in time. for some schools, people who interview in march/april has the same chance of getting in as those with pre-dec interviews..

Ur dat scores/gpa are good enough for asdoh. but it depends on what your volunteer experiences look like that will get you an interview there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's an uphill battle. I have a sub 3.0 sci gpa but a 23AA/25TS/20PAT and I applied with those stats in 2009. Guess what? No interviews.

Applying this cycle with the same DAT scores but a full year of SMP grades with a 4.0. This includes medical school courses mixed in with didactic graduate courses, no research/seminar fillers.

I agree that being asian doesn't help. Oh well, we'll see what happens this cycle.

herro dont listen to the douchebags here thats discouraging u. i had a lower dat than you last year and still got 3 interviews. also, if you get a good dat score in september, you are not late. from experience i know that if you have a good DAT, applying late is not a factor. i seen tons of ppl applying in september and october with 22+ dat and getting multiple acceptances.

Good luck!

Thanks! Just signed up at the earliest date I can take it! :) Going to start studying tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you at Baylor one of these days :D If you were me, would you state a retake on your TMDSAS application? They won't look at my application until the retake scores arrive though.. I'm still unsure if being an early application is better than a later application with slightly better scores. Well, if I get a rejection from Baylor this year, I am going to apply for their predental postbacc program and hope I get in :)

What type of volunteer experiences are good enough?

Yeah, it's an uphill battle. I have a sub 3.0 sci gpa but a 23AA/25TS/20PAT and I applied with those stats in 2009. Guess what? No interviews.

Applying this cycle with the same DAT scores but a full year of SMP grades with a 4.0. This includes medical school courses mixed in with didactic graduate courses, no research/seminar fillers.

I agree that being asian doesn't help. Oh well, we'll see what happens this cycle.

You are soooo gonna get in this year. I can smell it :D Seriously though, this is your year. Apply early though.

Last edited:

I wouldnt say being asian doenst help. but being asian does help either necessarily. but there are more asians in the top 10 dental schools than any other race. what would you say to that huh??

herro dont listen to the douchebags here thats discouraging u. i had a lower dat than you last year and still got 3 interviews. also, if you get a good dat score in september, you are not late. from experience i know that if you have a good DAT, applying late is not a factor. i seen tons of ppl applying in september and october with 22+ dat and getting multiple acceptances.

Wow, congrats. But what was your GPAs? So, do you think I should state a retake on my applications? I am now officially signed up to retake the DAT at the earliest possible date :)

Wow, congrats. But what was your GPAs? So, do you think I should state a retake on my applications? I am now officially signed up to retake the DAT at the earliest possible date :)

my science GPA was 3.3 overall was 3.4. o i feel stupid for asking but wats bcp? lol

And yea you should definitely retake. Im not saying this because i think your scores are low. i say this because on your second take, everyone improves. My total science went up by 7 points AA by 4 points! u can do it

my science GPA was 3.3 overall was 3.4. o i feel stupid for asking but wats bcp? lol

And yea you should definitely retake. Im not saying this because i think your scores are low. i say this because on your second take, everyone improves. My total science went up by 7 points AA by 4 points! u can do it

:eek: 7 POINTS?! That is awesome!!!!

BCP stands for your GPA in ONLY Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses.
sGPA, on the other hand, is BCP plus math and other science courses such as Nutrition.

But thanks! I know I can do it also, I just need to study for more than 2.5 weeks this time around! :p lol

Oh yea, if you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me what was your DAT breakdown of your first DAT attempt?

haha ok i wont quote...asdoh is a public health dental school....and the program was built to focus on this area....so they expect to see community services that revolves around public and community for the underserved. So any community services that were paid or were assisting the rich folks will probably not count. the schools also expects you to have a lot of community service hours too.

I am sorry but no one in this thread has discouraged OP, but simply stating the fact that 're-taking DAT will certainly help his chance". Yeah we're just bunch of douches' by trying to help him out.

:eek: 7 POINTS?! That is awesome!!!!

BCP stands for your GPA in ONLY Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses.
sGPA, on the other hand, is BCP plus math and other science courses such as Nutrition.

But thanks! I know I can do it also, I just need to study for more than 2.5 weeks this time around! :p lol

Oh yea, if you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me what was your DAT breakdown of your first DAT attempt?

sure. i killed it this time so i dont mind posting my old scores

17 ts
18 AA
25 PAT

thats very interesting that they still group all asians together. i'm asian too but im not going to specifically say which group to protect my identity. but i look at other specific asian groups like i look at white/black/brown people. they are all different people

hmmm my signature dont show up everytime i post. how do i make it so itll do that?

I am sorry but no one in this thread has discouraged OP, but simply stating the fact that 're-taking DAT will certainly help his chance". Yeah we're just bunch of douches' by trying to help him out.

Don't worry polarbears, I know you that you and everyone else isn't discouraging me :) You all actually helped me a lot. I thank you all for responding to this thread. Everyone has been helpful so far.

And thanks a bunch AmpJBieberblast for the help and support :)

(BTW, I feel weird being called a 'him'. lol. I'm a female :laugh:)

Don't worry polarbears, I know you that you and everyone else isn't discouraging me :) You all actually helped me a lot. I thank you all for responding to this thread. Everyone has been helpful so far.

And thanks a bunch AmpJBieberblast for the help and support :)

(BTW, I feel weird being called a 'him'. lol. I'm a female :laugh:)

wow ur so nice

(checking to see if my signature shows up)

if you were a he with that pink flower icon.....it would say something more about you and confirm ur identity a little bit more. lol

haha ok i wont quote...asdoh is a public health dental school....and the program was built to focus on this area....so they expect to see community services that revolves around public and community for the underserved. So any community services that were paid or were assisting the rich folks will probably not count. the schools also expects you to have a lot of community service hours too.

Hehe thanks. And thanks a bunch!! :) I cross my fingers my services will be sufficient. Are you applying this year also?

sure. i killed it this time so i dont mind posting my old scores

17 ts
18 AA
25 PAT

hmmm my signature dont show up everytime i post. how do i make it so itll do that?

Your first DAT wasn't that bad. But I did see your new DAT breakdown some time ago though in the DAT Discussion boards and you did AMAZING! I am aiming for your scores :)

Hmm. I saw your signature a while ago... I'm not sure what happened?

For those of you who think Asians are at a disadvantage, perhaps you should look at 2009 race data before making such claims:

I'll summarize
35.5% of asians attended dental school vs 42.9% for white boys. So 7.4 difference puts Asians at a "disadvantage"?

http://www.adea.org/publications/td...st-Time Enrollees by Race-Ethnicity, 2009.pdf

thats an interesting statistic. i never saw the actual statistical numbers but i knew it had to be trued because at my interview...... out of 60 kids maybe 50 of them were asian. it was a california dental school ofcourse lol :p

thats an interesting statistic. i never saw the actual statistical numbers but i knew it had to be trued because at my interview...... out of 60 kids maybe 50 of them were asian. it was a california dental school ofcourse lol :p

some of my interviews were like that too.

The funny thing about that data is... did you notice the "missing / not reported"... it was 38% lol... I bet you a good portion of those were Asians who didn't mark that section cause they thought being Asians was a disadvantage (Like wiered would say: they "gamed" the system)

The funny thing about that data is... did you notice the "missing / not reported"... it was 38% lol... I bet you a good portion of those were Asians who didn't mark that section cause they thought being Asians was a disadvantage (Like wiered would say: they "gamed" the system)

lol... but then... there are schools that would make urself disadvantageous if youre asian.... like howard.... -_____-;

lol... but then... there are schools that would make urself disadvantageous if youre asian.... like howard.... -_____-;

howard and meharry are special schools. Pretty much even your classic white boy is at a disadvantage (statistically speaking) when applying to them.

They take special interest in URMs with SERIOUS background damage (poverty, trouble with the law at early age, etc)

howard and meharry are special schools. Pretty much even your classic white boy is at a disadvantage (statistically speaking) when applying to them.

They take special interest in URMs with SERIOUS background damage (poverty, trouble with the law at early age, etc)

Discrimination!! my AA friend called me racist for saying oh there are dental schools that only accepts AA's 98 percent of the time...... He wouldnt believe me -__-;

Discrimination!! my AA friend called me racist for saying oh there are dental schools that only accepts AA's 98 percent of the time...... He wouldnt believe me -__-;

I don't think its mostly AAs.... I don't know their class's racial profile, but I highly doubt they are mostly AAs.

I believe being black alone, or any other URM for that matter, won't be enough. You need to fit a special profile (that damaged background I was referring to) in order for them to consider you. Obviously, I am not suggesting their ENTIRE class is full of damaged kids, just a good portion of it

I'd say 50/50 between angry asian males and angry white males.

~7%, yeah...but a distadvantage nonetheless. What I'm curious about is why that discrepency exists? The stats of asian students can't be worse than those of whites; in the end I think it's about equal.

I'd say most surprising is the numbers for blacks...I thought they had a huge advantage but the numbers don't support it.....*shrug*

I'd say 50/50 between angry asian males and angry white males.

~7%, yeah...but a distadvantage nonetheless. What I'm curious about is why that discrepency exists? The stats of asian students can't be worse than those of whites; in the end I think it's about equal.

I'd say most surprising is the numbers for blacks...I thought they had a huge advantage but the numbers don't support it.....*shrug*

I have a theory about the 7% discrepancy between asians vs whites (its just my theory)

Its the reading comprehension section of the DAT. Perhaps some of the Asians are ESL and they tend to score lower than the whites in the reading. I believe this is the case especially since, dental schools consider reading to be the single most important DAT section (excluding the 2 averages)

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm starting to wonder what "disadvantaged" means. It seems self explanatory... but I believe most Asians can be considered disadvantaged. For instance, many Asians had parents or families that came to the U.S. from an Asian country with nothing and had to start from scratch... Lost their loved ones during the journey to the U.S from either starvation or disease. It took a lot of hard work, long hours of labor work, and some decades to work up to being at least an average middle class citizen. Most were on well fare and lived in subsidized housing at one point... never had a chance to go to school until really late in life. Would that be considered disadvantaged?

I have a theory about the 7% discrepancy between asians vs whites (its just my theory)

Its the reading comprehension section of the DAT. Perhaps some of the Asians are ESL and they tend to score lower than the whites in the reading. I believe this is the case especially since, dental schools consider reading to be the single most important DAT section (excluding the 2 averages)

good point. alot of asian international students fail RC. thankfully i scored above the 17 cut off line whewwww!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm starting to wonder what "disadvantaged" means. It seems self explanatory... but I believe most Asians can be considered disadvantaged. For instance, many Asians had parents or families that came to the U.S. from an Asian country with nothing and had to start from scratch... Lost their loved ones during the journey to the U.S from either starvation or disease. It took a lot of hard work, long hours of labor work, and some decades to work up to being at least an average middle class citizen. Most were on well fare and lived in subsidized housing at one point... never had a chance to go to school until really late in life. Would that be considered disadvantaged?

i wouldnt say most asians are like that. atleast koreans tawiwanese and japanese kids that are here are here because their family has money. but yea if ur family was like that maybe you're considered disadvantageous

i wouldnt say most asians are like that. atleast koreans tawiwanese and japanese kids that are here are here because their family has money. but yea if ur family was like that maybe you're considered disadvantageous

Hmm, okay! Thanks AmpJBieberblast!

When it comes to the health care field, asians are not with a minority status..maybe when it comes to law or business i dunno..but healthcare, for sure not. Also you have to look at the demographics for each state. in the midwest, white people makes up like 90 percent of the population or something like that. Of course you will not see non-whites to be the majority of any classes. In California/New York, the demographics are different...so the demographics of the classes will be different

"42.9% for white boys" what about white girls?
African americans are at 33%~...so are they at a disadvantage or advantage?

African-Americans make up 13%~ of this country...asians make up ~5 percent of the country while ~20% of the dental students are asian. white people people makes up ~60% of the country....or somewhere aorund that area.

For those of you who think Asians are at a disadvantage, perhaps you should look at 2009 race data before making such claims:

I'll summarize
35.5% of asians attended dental school vs 42.9% for white boys. So 7.4 difference puts Asians at a "disadvantage"?

http://www.adea.org/publications/td...st-Time Enrollees by Race-Ethnicity, 2009.pdf

Last edited:
You bet? cool...but did you ever think about other reasons? such as its not a required field to complete so thats why people don't fill it out. Its not hard for adcoms to figure out which racial group you belong to. They will see you at interviews. there is nothing to "game" here.

sooooo what about QR? higher or lower?

yeah good point...disadvantage status and minority status are 2 different things. What you described could be disadvantage/advantage status. while minority/majority status refers to another...

I would retake it as it will be tough to score interviews since competition is so fierce.

Good luck :thumbup: