Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am gearing up to go back to college to fulfill my pre-vet requirements. I already have my Bsc (hons) in business, which I gained when I was 19, unfortunately I took zero science classes, so I will be pretty much starting from a clean state.
Career wise things have gone well for me - I worked in finance; investment banking (selling debt initially, then as an M & A advisor), until recently where I got a job working for a recruitment agency. Currently I am the division manager overseeing the department that specializes in placing IT staff.
Animal experience is currently quite average. I grew up in the English countryside, and have done practically everything with horses - played polo around the world, hunted in the English countryside, involved in racing, driving, eventing, PC. We also raised 8 charity dogs, and I spent significant time at the local kennels. Also as a High School student I spent a number of mornings at the veterinarians observing surgery. I know and plan to increase this experience.
My dilemma lies in going back to school - the way I see it I have 2 options. The first option I could go to a local community college, gain some impressive marks, continue working (saving money to the point where I could probably need no financial assistance for vet school), gain experience with local veterinarians.
My second option is to go to Oregon State as a non-degree student. The move is slightly more complicated then just going to school it would drain me financially, and I could find myself up there without a job, which would be incredibly hard. Also I am likely at a certain point to struggle getting into certain courses delaying the plan of action. Also currently my horse is lame, which translates into she is costing me a fortune so money might be a bit tight for this option.
Be advised I am not one of these students who needs to go to top name schools, I would be happy with any school (including Caribbean) that will put me on track to practice in the US.
I guess my real question, will attending community college be frowned upon? Or with exceptional marks, a good GRE score, good professional work experience, and animal experience outweigh it?
Correct me if I am wrong - but I believe their concern is not being able to handle the increased work load once you have gained admittance, considering I gained my bachelors degree in 2 years, and while I am enrolled in these classes I will be working full time at the management level (at aged 22) provide enough assurance I will be able to handle the course load?
Thanks!!
Career wise things have gone well for me - I worked in finance; investment banking (selling debt initially, then as an M & A advisor), until recently where I got a job working for a recruitment agency. Currently I am the division manager overseeing the department that specializes in placing IT staff.
Animal experience is currently quite average. I grew up in the English countryside, and have done practically everything with horses - played polo around the world, hunted in the English countryside, involved in racing, driving, eventing, PC. We also raised 8 charity dogs, and I spent significant time at the local kennels. Also as a High School student I spent a number of mornings at the veterinarians observing surgery. I know and plan to increase this experience.
My dilemma lies in going back to school - the way I see it I have 2 options. The first option I could go to a local community college, gain some impressive marks, continue working (saving money to the point where I could probably need no financial assistance for vet school), gain experience with local veterinarians.
My second option is to go to Oregon State as a non-degree student. The move is slightly more complicated then just going to school it would drain me financially, and I could find myself up there without a job, which would be incredibly hard. Also I am likely at a certain point to struggle getting into certain courses delaying the plan of action. Also currently my horse is lame, which translates into she is costing me a fortune so money might be a bit tight for this option.
Be advised I am not one of these students who needs to go to top name schools, I would be happy with any school (including Caribbean) that will put me on track to practice in the US.
I guess my real question, will attending community college be frowned upon? Or with exceptional marks, a good GRE score, good professional work experience, and animal experience outweigh it?
Correct me if I am wrong - but I believe their concern is not being able to handle the increased work load once you have gained admittance, considering I gained my bachelors degree in 2 years, and while I am enrolled in these classes I will be working full time at the management level (at aged 22) provide enough assurance I will be able to handle the course load?
Thanks!!