Opinions wanted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm posting a question for my PA girlfriend who would like some opinions from those closer to her field. My apologies in advance for any lack in brevity... Ok, here's the deal...

She's in NYC and graduated from Cornell PA school last year. She landed a good job and has been working there for a few months.

Ok, I just finished med school and matched back home in the South for residency. I'll be there for the next 4 years. She is basically entertaining the idea of moving to be closer to me and I'm naturally in favor of this idea also. There's the added benefit in cost of living being much cheaper where I'm located and she would be able to pay on her loans much more easily than by living in an apt by herself in NY with the inflated cost of living.

Her main hesitation right now is the fact that she doesn't want to "damage her career" in showing on her CV that she only worked for ~6 months right out of PA school and then "jumped ship" to another job/state. I'm older and from another career but I keep telling her that I find it very difficult to believe that any future employer would think twice about something like that. Things happen all the time that drive people to other areas and the important factors are giving your employer adequate time in advance to find and train a suitable replacement. Long story short, she won't listen to me ;-) and insists on having me post the question in here for her.

I'll be honest, I have no idea if that sort of thing looks bad on a PA CV or not. She was a great student and is very good at her job so I don't think letters of recommendation would be any issue whatsoever. The main issue she's wondering is whether a PA right out of school needs to stay for at least a year or two at their very first job before looking for another one?

Thoughts? Any harm in moving and taking a job elsewhere, this early in her career? (Please say "no" and help me out here... :) )

Thanks. -G

Members don't see this ad.

Good LORs should offset any concerns over leaving within 6 months of taking on a job.

Hey guys, I'm posting a question for my PA girlfriend who would like some opinions from those closer to her field. My apologies in advance for any lack in brevity... Ok, here's the deal...

She's in NYC and graduated from Cornell PA school last year. She landed a good job and has been working there for a few months.

Ok, I just finished med school and matched back home in the South for residency. I'll be there for the next 4 years. She is basically entertaining the idea of moving to be closer to me and I'm naturally in favor of this idea also. There's the added benefit in cost of living being much cheaper where I'm located and she would be able to pay on her loans much more easily than by living in an apt by herself in NY with the inflated cost of living.

Her main hesitation right now is the fact that she doesn't want to "damage her career" in showing on her CV that she only worked for ~6 months right out of PA school and then "jumped ship" to another job/state. I'm older and from another career but I keep telling her that I find it very difficult to believe that any future employer would think twice about something like that. Things happen all the time that drive people to other areas and the important factors are giving your employer adequate time in advance to find and train a suitable replacement. Long story short, she won't listen to me ;-) and insists on having me post the question in here for her.

I'll be honest, I have no idea if that sort of thing looks bad on a PA CV or not. She was a great student and is very good at her job so I don't think letters of recommendation would be any issue whatsoever. The main issue she's wondering is whether a PA right out of school needs to stay for at least a year or two at their very first job before looking for another one?

Thoughts? Any harm in moving and taking a job elsewhere, this early in her career? (Please say "no" and help me out here... :) )

Thanks. -G

There is some truth there. When a medical practice looks to hire a PA they are looking at putting money into training the PA and bringing them up to speed in a practice etc. One of the things that you want is someone who will stay around a little while. I don't think that any practice expects you to be there forever, but they hate it when people move on after a short time. It really disrupts things.

One year is really kind of the cut off. If someone has a good story like my boyfriend moved here or "the job wasn't right for me" (Medicare hell hole with dodgy practices) then that may cut some slack. The concern is someone will look at the resume, see less than one year and move on. Later on one short job will be less significant balanced against work history, but now it is work history.

Realistically it shouldn't matter. You won't start untlil August/September. Move, get a place and get settled. By that time she will have around a year and it won't matter as much. Realistically if you look at the time to find a job, get licensed and get credentialed at a hospital (if necessary) it will take at least that long anyway.

Good luck

David Carpenter, PA-C

Members don't see this ad :)
shouldn't be a problem as long as she leaves on good terms. one of the most successful pa's I know has this on his resume:
graduate from pa school
surg. residency 1 yr
icu 6 mo
neurosurg 6 mo
er 8 mo
ct surg 3 mo
ortho 2 yrs
ortho 8 yrs