Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Grass

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some feedback on what you think of my application or how my chances fair? I currently have approximately a 3.6 GPA, I will be taking the MCAT in April ( I got a 29 on my last TPR diagnostic), I have volunteered at a hospital designed for underprivileged families for 1.5 years where I take vitals and get them to their appropriate room, shadowed doctors for two months 40 hours a week and am now shadowing for 5 hours a week for the past 4 months. I also was a collegiate golfer, a member of Big Partner/Little Partner program and a lab TA for chemistry. I have seen a huge upward trend in my grades since my freshman year, when I received a couple of Cs. I was just wondering if I could get your opinion on my stats. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping I could get some feedback on what you think of my application or how my chances fair? I currently have approximately a 3.6 GPA, I will be taking the MCAT in April ( I got a 29 on my last TPR diagnostic), I have volunteered at a hospital designed for underprivileged families for 1.5 years where I take vitals and get them to their appropriate room, shadowed doctors for two months 40 hours a week and am now shadowing for 5 hours a week for the past 4 months. I also was a collegiate golfer, a member of Big Partner/Little Partner program and a lab TA for chemistry. I have seen a huge upward trend in my grades since my freshman year, when I received a couple of Cs. I was just wondering if I could get your opinion on my stats. Thanks!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362758

If you do well on your MCAT (30+), you will have a good chance at many many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's unfortunately all about the MCAT (well, almost). You look pretty solid so far, maybe look into doing some research as well as some schools like to see that you've taken principles learned in the classroom into the real world (as real world as a laboratory can get).

Typical stats for being accepted to med school are GPA = 3.5, MCAT = 30. Definitely do not score less than 30 on the MCAT. If you're hitting in the 26-29 range, then study full-time for the summer and take the August MCAT, submit your AMCAS application at the first date, and do secondary applications immediately after the MCAT.

You definitely Have chance to get accepted to many school. But they aren't as good as other. (Carribean is the second choice) >..Just out of curioucity ...How many Cs did u have? You have 3.6 which is not bad at all...

You definitely Have chance to get accepted to many school. But they aren't as good as other. (Carribean is the second choice) >..Just out of curioucity ...How many Cs did u have? You have 3.6 which is not bad at all...

...?

Typical stats for being accepted to med school are GPA = 3.5, MCAT = 30. Definitely do not score less than 30 on the MCAT. If you're hitting in the 26-29 range, then study full-time for the summer and take the August MCAT, submit your AMCAS application at the first date, and do secondary applications immediately after the MCAT.

I agree. If you're still not breaking 30's on your diagnostics, you need to put off the MCAT and study more. Take it when you're ready so that you don't have to retake it or (worse yet) end up having to reapply to med school.

Not to hijack this thread :) But it's sort of along the same discussion.

Anyone know of friendly US schools to Canadians? I'm pretty much all rejected for this round and want to get a head start on the next cycle

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=6961