Opinons on PBL: problem based learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6 to 8 Weeks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
question to anyone

I would like to know what your opinions are about "problem based learning" as opposed to the traditional "professor lectures to student" methods? I believe USC has overhauled their curriculum to be completely PBL, and I think UPITT will incorporate a lot also. Is one better than the other, or does it just depend on the person? Which schools incorporate PBL into their curriculums? I think this would be a big factor in determining where I go.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering the same thing. I know that Indiana University also has PBL.

I'm at Michigan and we did 2 PBLs in biochem. They are a nice break from the regular lecture format and if you have a good group and facilitator they can be pretty enjoyable. I had a bad felling going into them because all I heard about them were bad things that no one does their work and it is a waste of time. I would stay away from going to a school that completely revamped there program to all PBL. They might be too into it without testing it out first. Don't be afraid of PBL. A little mixed in with traditional lectures is nice.